PDA

View Full Version : Alter Hase/Old Sea Dog!!

Brian
1st January 2008, 16:54
Hi Ruy

Please excuse my ignorance, but I realise that I have been elevated to 'Alter Hase'. Is this an honour?

I've looked in the dictionary, only to find German translations meaning 'Old Sea Dog' or 'Old-Age Hare'

Happy New Year and thanks for accepting all of my queries over the past 18 months or so. Hopefully, I have been able to reciprocate in some small way.

Cheers
Brian

robert_schulte
1st January 2008, 18:51
Congratulations Brian.
I guess the nearest translation for "alter Hase" would be "an old hand" or "old stager".
It is a benevolent German expression for a person with a big experience of life and in no way degrading.
All the best and a Happy New Year to all,
Robert

Brian
1st January 2008, 19:52
Thanks Robert for the explanation.

However, I rather like the term 'Old Sea-Dog', which I'm not! Actually, I don't like the sea very much - nice to look at, but I'm no sailor!

Good wishes to you for 2008

Cheers
Brian

Nick Beale
1st January 2008, 21:46
And if they call you "Oster Hase", that means you're the Easter Bunny.

Brian
2nd January 2008, 00:18
Hi Nick

Easter Bunny, indeed!

I guess I became an Alter Hase following my 1,000th sortie - you'll get there soon!

Cheers
Brian

John Beaman
2nd January 2008, 15:14
Brian, I seem to recall that it was used as a description for an experienced fighter pilot who who fly in a "jinking" manner changing directions frequently like an "old hare" avoiding a hunter. I.e., by jinking across a field, an alter hasse showed he survived by avoiding being shot, the jinking throwing off a hunter's aim.

Brian
3rd January 2008, 11:31
Hi John

Thanks for that - I had to do a bit of jinking in my younger days to avoid being shot at by irate husbands! But don't tell the wife.

Cheers
Old Hare