PDA

View Full Version : Drawing of unknown Englishman washed ashore 22/08/1940, NL

B.F.M. Droog
17th March 2008, 20:33
The father of a friend of me made this drawing as a 16 year old boy on the beach near Groet (Noord Holland province):
http://www.epibreren.com/rs/oorlogsgraven/Groenveld_august_1940.jpg
In his diary he wrote: ' Today another body washed ashore. It was that of an Englishman and had been in the water for some weeks. One can think how it looked like.'

A few weeks earlier he witnessed another body washing ashore. As he was to become a professional drawer I believe this drawing to be rather realistic. Does this drawing give any clues? The shoes for instance, with nails, were they worn by sailors or only by Army personnel?

Regards,

Bart

Brian Bines
18th March 2008, 16:28
Really hard to form an opinion the lifejacket appears to the type used by seamen rather than airman,

regards

Brian Bines

Alex Smart
19th March 2008, 19:53
Hi,

Good that he kept the drawings all these years.

What can anyone make of the letters on the lifejacket Ships name or crew position ?

Alex

Brian Bines
20th March 2008, 10:04
I thought it read ''Out-Side'', and looks like the cork(?) filled life jackets that were still around in the 1960's when I worked on survey ships on the North Sea

Hans Nauta
21st March 2008, 12:22
Hi Bart,

I've most burial records of the Province North-Holland. Please contact me off board. hnauta AT quicknet DOT nl. Replace the AT and Dot for the normal symbols.

Best regards,
Hans Nauta

B.F.M. Droog
24th March 2008, 18:52
Hello Hans,

E-mail has been sent.

Regards,

Bart

B.F.M. Droog
30th March 2008, 05:02
Can't edit the previous posting - so a new posting: the case is closed. Hans Nauta solved it. The drawing depicts a Royal Navy Officer who was identified.

Regards,

Bart