PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Merrick/Hitchcock german crosses nomenclature

RalphZimmer
27th April 2008, 17:02
Gentlemen,
I am looking for the page(s) from Merrick&Hitchcock “The Official Monogram Painting Guide to German Aircraft 1935-1945”, Monogram, 1980, which contain the nomenclature of the german crosses – Balkenkreuze and Hakenkreuze.
Being more interested in its content than its collectors value, I always wondered what was meant in other publications, which referred to a “nomenclature” of the german crosses. Unfortunately there is no such thing in my copy as it ends at page 144 (the index)!

According to the new book by James H. Kitchens and John R. Beaman Jr. which includes a reference to this “foldout at rear of the volume”. (By the way: a new, but in my (first) impression very interesting approach to aces´ aircraft!) I thus discovered only recently, that this book does not end at page 144 (the index), but seemingly includes a fold-out (?) page with this "nomenclature".

My main interest lies in the contents of this so I would be very glad, if any of you could provide me with a scan or a copy.
I don´t want to break copyright rules, but I know that this work is long out of print. I am not able to spend “collectors value” for another copy, especially as it is surpassed by Mr. Merrick´s latest words.

(If Mr. Merrick or Mr Hitchcock does read this, I want to include my thanks to you: You did an outstanding work then, even if the research has continued. I especially like the layout combining photos, profile and comperatively large color-chips on a page. I even prfefer this layout to the more “scientifically” one in the newest works by Mr. Merrick and Mr. Kirchhoff. It´s just better to look at – but of course it´s content is 25 years older in its state of research!)

Best Regards
Ralph Zimmer

RalphZimmer
28th April 2008, 17:13
Gentlemen,
I posted this at the Luftwaffe Experten Message Board - the answers are quite promising.
Their seem to be an "early" edition without additions and a "late" one, which contains an errate&addenda sheet, a sheet showing then existing models and the sheet containign the nomenclature of the german crosses and the swastika.
If you are interested, please look at:
http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5395

Regards
Ralph Zimmer

Ruy Horta
28th April 2008, 18:05
I have this on an errata sheet.

RalphZimmer
28th April 2008, 18:14
Hi Ruy,
this must be one of those sheets ... ;)
Unfortunately my copy came without any of these, "only" with two autographs and two "doubled" pages.

If someone is interested in these surplus pages:
pages 77/78 show camouflage schems of the Hs123A-1 and the He111E-1
pahes 87/88 show a camouflage scheme of the He11H-2 and some fotos of the He177.
So, if anyone reading is missing this couple of pages, feel free to contact me.
Regards
Ralph Zimmer