PDA

View Full Version : Bodenplatte p.234-6 (Uffz. Herbert Maxis)

Ruy Horta
18th May 2005, 17:10
Question mainly for John Manrho.

Is it known who shot Herbert Maxis and since the whole episode is given in detail (some important ones missing) I wondered if you have had access to the court martial case?

p.234 seems to depict the signs of some sharpshooting (head shot?).

Interesting case, must have been something behind it if it got as far as a court martial.

John Manrho
18th May 2005, 23:57
Hello Ruy,

First of all I do not know the name of the US soldier that actually shot Uffz. Maxis. I have been in contact with soldiers of the same unit, but they did not want to give me the name...... At least two years ago the specific US soldier was still alive. All documents I saw of the unit showed that there was no court martial. Uffz. Maxis was shot in the head from close range. To be honest, I did not really pursue the quest for the name of the soldier. My interest was mainly to find a possible grave. As a US Graves Registration Unit had taken the body I have checked all burial files of former US War cemeteries as Henri-Chappelle (Germans were buried there too!) and the ones in eastern France. I checked probably around 20,000 graves......no trace of an unknown German pilot that could be a match.....

So, which detail you think is missing? Beside name I mean.....

cheers,

John.

Ruy Horta
19th May 2005, 10:39
Perhaps I didn't phrase that right John, but you've basically answered my two main questions, Thanks!

How, and to some extend who.

At work so I cannot check, but doesn't your text mention court martial proceedings, or was it hushed up before it ever got that far?

I don't want to start a flame war on this issue, just curious.

John Manrho
19th May 2005, 23:26
See page 236 bottom first column. There was talk about it, but apparantly did not happen.

John.