PDA

View Full Version : Handley Page O/100 wings

Leendert
5th August 2008, 13:18
One of my daughters surprised me with a birthday present: a big wall photo of a WW1 type bomber. No visible markings on it, but I've determined it to be a HP O/100.
One little puzzle remains. On some pictures these planes have wings with an equal span, while on other the spans have an unequal length (top one longer, lower one shorter).
Could this indeed be the case (different subtype), or should I look further?

Thanks for all info.

Regards,

Leendert

robert_schulte
5th August 2008, 15:41
Hi Leendert,
there were three different heavy Handley Page bombers in the Great War, the Handley Page O/100 and O/400, both very similar with the major difference being the engines (two) and its gondolas, and both having different wing spans for the top and the lower wing, and as the third type the V/1500.
This one had for both the upper and the lower wing the same wing span. As a further distinguishing mark to the earlier types, this type had four engines, 2 in each gondola in a push-pull-configuration.
Hope, this answers your question
Robert

Edit:
The V/1500 came too late to see action in the war. Only 3 were delivered before the armistice.

Leendert
5th August 2008, 17:16
Robert,

Thanks for the info. The HP on my wall photo has wings with equal spans, so it must be the V/1500 type...
Will give it a closer look tonight for the engines.

Regards,

Leendert

Pilot
7th August 2008, 00:27
It could be more easy if you could give scan of this image...

Cheers :)

Blue-Max
7th August 2008, 07:48
One of my daughters surprised me with a birthday present: a big wall photo of a WW1 type bomber. No visible markings on it, but I've determined it to be a HP O/100.

Could it not be a Handley Page Heyford airplane ?!

http://www.aviastar.org/gallery/heyford/heyford_1.jpg

Pilot
7th August 2008, 07:58
Correct- this is the Heyford, last biplane bomber deliver to RAF.

Graham Boak
7th August 2008, 11:55
Wasn't the Hind the last biplane bomber? That's discounting derivatives such as the Hardy and Hector, which were seen as specifically Army Co-operation types.

Pilot
7th August 2008, 14:05
Well- Heyford is last heavy biplane to be more precise.

Graham Boak
7th August 2008, 15:49
Well- Heyford is last heavy biplane to be more precise.
Now I am being picky - the Heyford was only a medium. I think the Virginia was the last heavy biplane bomber. Not sure which actually lasted the longest.

However, we still await clarification of this much earlier HP design.

Leendert
7th August 2008, 19:48
Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the input, but the photo is truly of a HP 0/100 or V/1500 type.

I lean towards O/100, because no push propellers visible.

Can't scan the pic, much too big to put under a household scanner.

Will browse the internet in the days to come to get the perfect match.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Leendert

Graham Boak
7th August 2008, 23:11
You are right that the V/1500 has equal span wings and the twins have smaller lower wings.
The V/1500's top wing is considerably higher above the fuselage, with upright struts from the fuselage - on the twins they come together on the wing.
On the V/1500 the engines sit slightly above the fuselage rather than at "shoulder" height, and have a more involved support structure. The twins have a strut that goes diagonally down from the engine to the lower wing root.
The V-1500 has four vertical tails.