PDA

View Full Version : The best Schiffer Luftwaffe titles..?

John P Cooper
20th May 2005, 09:25
I would like to know your thoughts on this - just a title and a short reason why please:D

BTW - I know there are other publishers but I am starting with this one..:P

Jukka Juutinen
20th May 2005, 20:46
My list has at least the following:
-FW 190A/Herrman et al
-FW 190D/ditto
-Ta 152/Herrman
-Do 335/Karl-Heinz Regnat
-FW 187/Herrman
-Me Bf 110/Me 210/Me 410 by Mankau&Petrick
-Me 262 Arrow to the Future
-Me 262-Development, Testing &Production/Radinger&Schick

On non-Luftwaffe topics:
-Vee“s for Victory
-America“s Hundred Thousand
-Cobra!
-Whistling Death
-Italian Aces of WW One
-French Aeroplanes before the Great War
-Report of JFC

Jim Oxley
21st May 2005, 04:26
Personally I am not a fan of Schiffer Publishing. Their pricing is too savage.

Still every now then when I think an outstanding title is published I do weaken and buy it. :)

Luftwaffe
JG7 - The World's First Jet Fighter Unit 1944/45, by Manfred Boehme. To my mind the best book on the subject.

Allied
America's Hundred-Thousand, by Francis Dean. This book in incomparable when it comes to information on US Fighters. Without peer.

Jukka Juutinen
21st May 2005, 12:08
Well, they are not cheap, though I think Classic“s pricing is worse due to their tendency to do multiple thin volumes instead of one thicker volume. I think it is pretty perverse that Classic“s sister company Midland does hardcover books from less than 200 pages to over 400 pages while Classic seems to stick to about 224 pages per book. If America“s Hundred Thousand had been a Classic book, it would probably have been released in 10 softcover volumes at £16.95 each.

However, the worst pricing is from Frank Cass (now part of Taylor&Francis): they have some small format hardcover editions with less than 300 pages priced at about $100!

Jim Oxley
22nd May 2005, 08:39
So true Jukka.

Jim P.
24th May 2005, 21:20
Most of Schiffer's stuff is re-prints of what were originally German titles, the Prien/Rodeike book entitled 'Messerschmitt Bf 109F, G & K'eing one notable exception. They encompass everything from Squadron-like softcovers to technical tombs ('Me Bf 110/Me 210/Me 410' by Mankau&Petrick as mentioned by Jukka) to assorted photo historys (Nauroth's book on JG 2) to photo bios (see recent Wick) to detailed war diaries (JG 53). Any suggestions on my part would depend on your specific interest.

John P Cooper
25th May 2005, 02:48
@ Jim P actually just your opinion on what you consider to be their best titles. (highest quality...)

Cheers

John