PDA

View Full Version : Submarine Air force of IJNAF

carpenoctem1689
25th May 2005, 05:52
The I-400 class of Japense carrier submarines was truly amazing. Designed to carry Three special Seiran (Beleive thats right) floatplane bombers, these revolutionary subs had enormous potential. Only three to my knowledge of this class of subs was completed, but thats all that was needed for a daring raid that was planned by the Japanese. They would move into striking distance of the Panama canal, and bomb and disable it. This would have cause serious problems for the US, but thankfully the war ended just in time, and the canal was spared. The original plan was to drop disease infested rats, fleas, or some sort of virus on the West coast of the US, but the bombs needed were not complete in time. These submarines were very original in concept, and no other country in the era tried to even produce air craft capable submarines. These underwater hunters were truly giants, and carried torpedoes as well. Imagine a few of these things, out there hunting US commerce and transports, with torpedoes, and aircraft. I also have heard of deck guns mounted though i dont know for sure about anything. These would have been formidable weapons. But mercifully the war ended. The Seirans, the aircraft on the submarines, were very capable, and had floats on them, so they could land next to the sub, and be loaded quickly. The Seirans could be launched and recovered in an estimated 12 minutes total. Quite impressive.

Laurent Rizzotti
25th May 2005, 11:07
The submarines were very big, so lack maneuvaribility and hability to dive quickly and so were highly vulnerable to ASW attacks.

And a whole US Air Force was covering the Panama Canal, using outdated planes but still good enough to deal with a dozen floatplanes.

carpenoctem1689
25th May 2005, 20:48
I am aware of the US aircraft presnce, but these fighters and interceptors were by this time obsolete, and do you honestly beleive that the personnel at the Panama canal would have been at high alert, given the current status of the war in the pacific, and the lack of japanese air craft carriers at this point, not to mention the very effecive code breaking in the pacific theater, proven before the battle of midway.

shooshoobaby
9th January 2006, 21:07
September , 1942. Japanese submarine I - 25 launched two floatplane attacks on Oregon State. Pilot Nabuo Fugita dropped bombs in the Forest to start fires but did no harm due to wet conditions. I - 25 later sunk two Merchant ships and Soviet Submarine L - 16.
Mike

edwest
9th January 2006, 22:45
Book about I-400 coming:

http://www.hikokiwarplanes.com/comingsoon.htm

Usual disclaimer,
Ed