PDA

View Full Version : 127 Squadron RFC/RAF

Andy_Ingham
27th November 2008, 22:42
127 Squadron RFC/RAF
I am looking if someone can point me in the right direction as to relevent books or web sites that will help me in me research of 127 Squadron during WW1.
All I currently know is that No. 127 Squadron RCF was formed in a day bomber role, at Catterick, Yorkshire on 1 February 1918 . They were primarily equipped with DH9s but other aircraft were also used. Before becoming operational, the squadron was disbanded on 4 July 1918 and all personnel and equipment was absorbed by No. 49 Training Depot Station, Catterick.
Thanks
Andy

Ex Shack
28th November 2008, 10:58
Hi Andy
I don't know if your source on 127 is the same as mine (-Jefford RAF Squadrons) but there is a whole batch of Sqns from 115-137 which were formed during 1918 for the Bomber role. Most are labelled as "for the DH9-used various a/c" and I wonder ,from the wording, if they ever recieved the designated a/c before being disbanded. For some it would have been the HP 0/400 and for others the DH9 and a few did in fact get the equipment and continued in existence. Most were quickly disbanded and 127 being absorbed into another unit seems to be an exception.
Regards
Dick