PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Martin B-10 (Model 139), books?

Ruy Horta
7th June 2005, 22:41
Do any of you know if there are any good reference works on the Glenn Martin B-10 / Model 139 bomber? Currently only able to find limited material on this type and would love to dig in a little deeper, any help is appreciated (especially a source with a good set of detailed line drawings).

G. Warrener
17th June 2005, 01:09
A short sad thread here Ruy!

I must admit that I have nothing much other than "Van Glenn Martins en Mustangs" by Hugo Hooftman - which you probably read when you were a 'snotneus' and when DAF still made cars and Fokker aeroplanes. When Philips still made everything in the Netherlands. When the RNethAF kept the cows awake with Republic built heavy metal, and before Amsterdam became associated with narcotic abuse.

Still - I could send you photocopies of the A3 size line drawings in Aircraft of the Fighting Powers Vol III.

Graham

pstrany
17th June 2005, 05:52
VERY short list. I know there was a THIN paperback book on the B-10, may even have a copy around, I'll have to take a look. There is still a B-10 existant, at the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio. Somewhere I have a few shots, but it would be nice to see a walk-around (I was spending most of my time with a few other a/c, didn't have the time to really do this one justice.)

Paul

Ruy Horta
17th June 2005, 10:03
Thin paperback reads like an old Profile-booklet. Although I haven't been able to track anything conclusive using various search engines. There are some drawings on the net and a limited number of (poor) photos of the USAF Museum crate.

Quite surprising that this is such a difficult a/c, especially since it was a revolutionary design at the time. One of the first modern bombers.

Yes, I have the Hooftman books.

Read them when I was a pre-teen at school (late 70-ies), they were already 10+ years old back then, and recently bought the whole series (5 books covering the ML, MLD and ML-KNIL) at what I believed to be quite a bargain.

Problem is lack of detail.

A detailed set of line drawings would cover a long way.

Jaap Woortman
17th June 2005, 11:38
Ruy,

Why not contact Gerard "Jerry" Casius? He is an expert on prewar ML-KNIL.
And if he does not have the answer he can give you the name and place of the person who does.
He is at the Sectie Luchtmacht Historie almost every wednesday.
If you do not have a phonenumber send me a private email.

Jaap

Ruy Horta
18th June 2005, 10:37
Thanks Jaap.

Perhaps I may have spoken to Mr. Casius on a previous occasion, but I am not sure. Thanks for the tip, I'll send you a private note for that info.

Regards,

pstrany
19th June 2005, 22:58
Hi;

I found the book I have on the Martin B-10, it is "Martin 139WAN" by Jorge Nunez Padin, printed by the Museo de la Aviacion Naval Instituto Aeronaval in 1994. It details use of the Martin B-10 by the Argentine Navy (it is a Spanish language publication, not my strongest second - or even third - language.)
Not a lot (unless you are interested in Argentine Martins) but the photo below was of a variation I did not realize existed - floats!

Paul

Ruy Horta
19th June 2005, 23:15
Does it contain any detailed line drawings?

pstrany
21st June 2005, 01:17
Sorry, only side views and a top view to show markings. I know I've seen a pretty good set of drawings for the Martin B-10, maybe in SAMI or a similar publication? The problem with having lots of reference materials is that keeping track of what you have becomes increasingly more difficult the more you get. I'll keep looking......

Paul

P.S. the drawing below comes from the aforementioned "Martin 139WAN"....

robert_schulte
9th July 2005, 15:44
Ruy, would this be something for you?
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8310969853

Regards
Robert

Ruy Horta
9th July 2005, 16:42
P.S. the drawing below comes from the aforementioned "Martin 139WAN"....

Found that little Argentinian booklet, bought it for a couple of Euros. Quite interesting, thanks for the tip

Ruy Horta
9th July 2005, 16:44
Ruy, would this be something for you?
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8310969853

Thanks Robert, this might be a potential source. Would be nice if someone knows what to expect in terms of content in terms detailed photos and (espcially) drawings of the Mod.139

But a title goes a long way!