PDA

View Full Version : JG 300 book

FalkeEins
15th June 2005, 22:03
...Jean-Yves Lorant tells me that the French edition of his JG 300 opus (Vol 1) is on sale from today ( most notably at Le Bourget - Paris Air show). Co-author and illustrator is Richard Goyat. Entitled "La bataille aérienne d'Allemagne " (Air Battle over Germany) the publisher is Larivière and the work comprises 360 large format pages, with profile artwork by Sundin/Goyat and covers the period to 16 September 1944 in 10 chapters.... I was given a run-down of the book's many (stunning) photographic highlights but won't spoil anybody's anticipation ...(sorry)
I expect this news means the Eagle Editions version is imminent..

edwest
16th June 2005, 18:53
The Eagle Editions site is showing June, 2005.

Ed

O.Menu
16th June 2005, 22:02
Thats a great news, the French edition was not expected before September!

Richard Goyat
16th June 2005, 23:42
Sorry Olivier, but who told you or where did you see that the French edition was not expected before September?

In fact, the very first day the authors met at his request the French editor, they were told that the first volume should be ready for the Paris Air Show (or Salon du Bourget). And this is just what happened...

Richard Goyat

judyc
17th June 2005, 02:59
We at Eagle Editions are very excited about the JG 300 book Vol. 1 being in our warehouse any day now. Translated into English from the original French manuscript, the book is 400 pages with almost 30 full color Tullis profiles, printed on glossy heavy weight paper, the photos are large and stunning!
We have taken a long time to produce this book, including over 18 months in translation and the results are amazing! Rare photos are large and clear. We also have the leather bound limited edition available as well, signed by Hajo Herrmann.
We will have copies available at the Nats in Atlanta, of course, along with three sheets of decals in all three scales available to compliment the beautiful full color profiles by Tom Tullis.
Visit our site at http://www.eagle-editions.com and go to news and new releases to click on the hyperlink for the decals!
The Eagle Editions Ltd. Team
Patty, office manager and customer relations

marsyao
17th June 2005, 05:25
judyc, thank you ! Please let us know when this book is available, I will definitely order one.

Many Souffan
17th June 2005, 22:50
Hello ! ! Hello! ! !

I am a happy man who have received the sample of this fantastic book from the hands of Jean-Yves Lorant.

It is and it will be a must for a long long time. I am s^re it will be like a bomb, something of really new since a long time

80% of the the photos were never published before, for the last 20% you will not recognize because they are of a great quality

There are many profiles, superb profiles of Claes Sundin which are not as we are in the habit of seeing

But the best is how was written the text, naturally you must know French to understand the quality of the text , I am sûre that Neil did his best to To transcribe the sharpness of the French of the author.

Many French authors would read this to learn to write in good french, but there is not only that. it is a vivid text very easy to read, and every line You learn something, and the photos are always near the text and sometime a profile is also there. It seems that the author was always among these pilots.

It's great for the eyes, for the reading, for learning how was the life of these german pilots in the 2 years of the end of the war.

The only thing which I am disappointed is my bad English because it is diifficult to say, to explain how is great this work..

Thank you

edwest
17th June 2005, 22:54
Your excitement and comments about the quality of this book came through clearly. Sounds great!

Ed

Many Souffan
17th June 2005, 23:09
Thank you Ed.

it is a really a excitment to see for example the photo and and the profile of the green 1 of hajo Hermann, but it's better to read the visit of Goering to to JG 300
because it's funny, because you understand the stupidity of this man, because Jean-Yves write vividly with a great sense of humour that you can't say it's not possible the author had participated to this scene, but believe me it is written in great French. Mr Lorant always has this quality in its narrative, to be a teacher, precise and simple. Every photo is always useful never superfluous.

Von Alles
18th June 2005, 11:17
Hi,

I got my copy of the French edition this morning from the postman : WOW !!!
I can't say more !! A very high quality book with a large format, paper, printing and so on... large pictures...
A very good summer of reading !

Thank you very much Mr Lorant and Mr Goyat

Friendly
VonAlles

Ruy Horta
18th June 2005, 11:25
So if I understand right the two editions will have different Profiles?

Claes Sundin and Tom Tullis for respectively the French and American publication?

Will they cover the same ground or differ in subject?

Have I misunderstood?

FalkeEins
18th June 2005, 12:42
no, you've understood correctly...as I understand it, the EE version has quite a bit more artwork and presents a number of additional photos over the two volumes....

O.Menu
19th June 2005, 02:02
My French edition is 350 pages (50 less than the one from Eagles Ed) and include 15 profiles most of them copyrighted by Claes Sundin. I m not sure if Richard Goyat also do some profiles or not in the book...

So if the two editions are same format i suppose this mean many more photos are included in the Eagles one! Grrr...I will probably not pre-order Vol2 but wait to compare both edition under close examination before taking any decision.

Richard Goyat
19th June 2005, 13:51
Olivier,

You'll not find more photographs in the American edition than in the French one. The number of pages has nothing to do with the number of photographs, but is due to the different formats used by both publishers. The French format is the usual one of the Docavia collection (about 23.5 cm x 31 cm) while the American one will be the usual Eagle Edition 21 cm x 28 cm.

Both editions are basically the same, the main differences being:

a) a slightly different layout due to the format of the books;
b) More profiles in the American edition, where they were made by Tom Tullis, while those of the French edition were made by Claes Sundin.
c) I contributed two profiles for both editions. In the French book, you'll find them pages 71 and 281.
d) There's an index in the EE version.

So, as you can see, there's nothing to worry about. Readers of the American and French editions will see the same story. I just hope it will be well received in both languages...

Richard Goyat

nick de carteret
25th June 2005, 01:02
Could anyone tell me the best place to pick up the Eagle Editions version? The postage charge from Eagle themselves seems to be astronomical....are there any other known stockists that might be more reasonable on the shipping side of things? It looks to be an indispensible reference....can't wait to lay my hands on a copy of Vol 1.

Jerry Crandall
25th June 2005, 01:59
Hi Nick;

Depending on your address and the weight of the book will determine the cost to ship. If you are in the US, UPS fee is a flat $10.50, but if you are in Europe, you can order from our distributor Helion in the UK.

The book is in customs, we have in our hands our first copy and it is really beautiful! 400 pages on heavy gloss paper, with three profiles by Richard Goyat - one on the front fly page and one on the end fly page and one more by Richard in the body of the book. Tom Tullis has done a total of 28 profiles many of which will be available in three decal sheets in all three scales to be released with the book at the IPMS USA Nationals.

The work and effort put into these volumes by all parties is phenominal, the results are well-worth the time and the wait. For example, the original manuscript was in translation from French to English for over 18 months!

We are very excited about this edition which will certainly set a new benchmark!

Cheers,
Judy and Jerry Crandall

nick de carteret
25th June 2005, 02:41
Greetings Jerry and Judy and thanks for your reply to my post. I am located in New Zealand and wondered whether you can point me towards a distributor in this part of the world? Looking foward to the book very much. Thanks for any further info.

nick de carteret
29th June 2005, 04:13
I am assuming that there is no sales agent for Eagle down under which makes it difficult to justify owning their books when the shipping charge can almost double the purchase price in some cases.

FalkeEins
29th June 2005, 18:47
.."difficult to justify owning.." ..?? I sympathise..but I'm sure such thoughts will evaporate when you eventually get your copy..(!!)
and to pick up on Richard's post ('new & upcoming books..') about a dearth of new subjects...there aren't going to be many more unit histories like this one..

as far as postage costs are concerned there's no getting away from the fact that this is one very large and heavy book...I would imagine that the EE edition is quite a bit thicker than, say, Urbanke's Green Hearts..

My French copy just arrived -surface mail intra-European postage cost 20 Euros - that's a little less than a third of the purchase price..

judyc
30th June 2005, 20:10
Hi Nick;
You can get your copy of our JG 300 book from Airsail International in New Zealand at 649 579 2952 or from Technical Books Christchurch at 64 3 348 0220 or from Crusader Trading in Australia. We have about 7 book dealers in Australia. I would be happy to give you their contact information off board. Email me at eagle@eagle-editions.com and I'll give you the list.
Please know that the fees we charge for shipping to New Zealand or Australia are what we pay, this is air mail. We can ship by surface if you wish. It takes about 6 to 8 weeks but is quite a bit less expensive. The book itself weighs just over 5 lbs., so the package itself is just about 6 pounds.
Let me know what you find out!
All the best,
Judy Crandall
Eagle Editions Ltd.

David Pausey
30th June 2005, 22:07
Hello

Do these book cover any combats with RAF fighters ?

cheers

David

FalkeEins
5th July 2005, 19:45
Larivière jacket image

Eric Larger
6th July 2005, 23:31
:)Hello:)

One more time congratulations to you Jean-Marc & Richard, for this stunning book.

More than a very serious and detailed study on this unit, this publication is a real duty of remembrance for these young pilots send into the “Big Circus” often just able to take off and land down. The story of some of them is just incredible or on the other hand so simple.

The iconography, with a lot of unpublished pictures, is highlighting the value of the text.

So for those ready to count the number of new photos or compare such or such version, to criticized eventually such or such point , I would just point out the workload , the time spent , the sacrifices done , the time involved in such a project .

The book is worthwhile for itself, because Jean-Yves succeeded to record and collect the souvenirs of those old men now and to gain their confidence.

How many of these former pilots of the Luftwaffe, even if some of them paid a high price 60 years ago, had their photos or personal documents stolen by so-called “Historians”?

I think, regarding the pages of the English draft I read and the hours spend to talk about it with both of you, that one of the greatest purpose achieved is that these men where not just “pilots of Me109G-6/As W.Nr xxxxxx, 9./JG300, shot down on 23 October 1944 , over Berlin at 09:15 by P-57 of 357th FG ” , but young men involved in the biggest European Aerial Battle , with the same reactions or jokes , hopes and fears the Allied pilots had on the other side of the Channel . They were just young pilots “on the other side “who had to do what they had to do because there was no other choice for them.

Et puis c’est un français qui l’a écrit ! On n’a pas les jeux olympiques mais on a l’histoire du JG300 :)!

So nothing else to add except buy it and read it. You will then notice the real value of this book.

Eric Larger

Bernard Perconte
8th July 2005, 19:03
Hello,:grin:

I received yesterday my French specimen of this excellent book. I am in total agreement with the remarks of my friend Eric Larger who knew to find the words right to qualify this book. Only small flat, the modeler that I am would have liked a little more profiles colors and of a little higher size. This book is read like a novel and constitutes a beautiful homage to the forgotten pilots of the history.

Highly the exit of volume 2.

Impassioned of Luftwaffe : modelers, historians, researchers… keep a little money to acquire the brilliant book (on Fw 190 D-9) of the too modest Eric Larger who soon will leave to Japo.:bow:

Cordially

Bernard Perconte

jad
8th July 2005, 22:18
Bernard i want to spend my money in jg300 book from Eagle and 190d from Japo but they don´t want :)

I can not wait for his publication.

Dick Powers
15th July 2005, 20:27
Eagle Editions web page mentions that "JG 300" will be released at the IPMS Nationals, which I beleive is next week. Is this still true? WHen will copies be mailed to those of us who ordered it?

Should I grab a frosty six-pack of my favorite brew and camp out near the mailbox?

JUdy..Jerry...are you out there????

CharlesMetz
19th July 2005, 03:21
For whatever it may be worth, here's my initial impression of Eagle Editions' version of the new book on JG 300 by Jean-Yves Lorant and Richard Goyat, which will be released later this week at the IPMS/USA National Convention. Essentially the same review will appear on Hyperscale as soon as Brett Green, that website's editor, is able to upload it there.

Charles Metz

-------------

Jagdgeschwader 300: A Chronicle of a Fighter Geschwader in the Battle for Germany — Volume One: June 1943 – September 1944, by Jean-Yves Lorant & Richard Goyat; translated by Neil Page; illustrated by Tom Tullis and Richard Goyat

Publisher: Eagle Editions, Ltd.

ISBN: 0-9761034-0-0 (standard edition); 0-9761034-1-9 (limited edition)

Media and contents: Hard cover with sturdy dust jacket; four hundred 8.5" x 11" (21.6 cm x 27.9 cm) pages printed on heavy glossy paper; approximately four hundred photographs, most previously unpublished; twenty-six color profile paintings.

Price: US$75.00 (standard edition); US$165.00 (leather-bound and autographed limited edition)

Review type: First Read

Advantages: Simultaneously provides historical perspective, day-to-day descriptions of unit engagements, moving personal accounts by pilots, and detailed coverage of aircraft subtypes, camouflage and markings. Many photo captions include comments on camouflage and markings. Very well written, translated and produced.

Disadvantages: None

Recommendation: Highly recommended for Luftwaffe modelers, aviation historians, and casual readers interested in World War II.

Reviewed by Charles Metz

Impressions:

JG 300 was a highly unusual Luftwaffe unit that pioneered the use of single-seat aircraft in night fighting, served subsequently for nine months as a front-line nightfighter Geschwader, and then converted quickly to dayfighting, playing a major role in Reich Defense during the final year of World War II. Its Messerschmitt 109 and Focke Wulf 190 aircraft wore a great variety of camouflage and markings that make them exceptionally attractive subjects for modelers. This Geschwader’s complex story obviously provides fertile ground for a book of potential interest to a broad audience. However, it also complicates an aspiring author’s task, not only because of the breadth of material to be covered, but also because the different expectations of modelers, historians and casual readers provide so much opportunity for disappointing at least one of these constituencies. Fortunately for all of us, Jean-Yves Lorant and Richard Goyat have met the challenge wonderfully well.

This superbly translated and produced 400-page volume is only the first half of an effort that may be expected to endure both as the definitive account of Jagdgeschwader 300 and as a benchmark for future Luftwaffe unit histories. (Volume Two is scheduled for release before the end of the year.) However, this book will be not only respected, but also loved, because it is an eminently readable — often downright exciting — work that manages simultaneously to provide historical perspective, day-to-day descriptions of unit engagements, moving personal accounts by pilots, and detailed coverage of aircraft subtypes, camouflage and markings. Its approximately four hundred photographs are well reproduced, though the image quality of a few is necessarily limited by that of the original prints or negatives. Most of these photos have not been published previously, and all are exceptionally well captioned, often with carefully-considered comments on camouflage and markings.

The book is comprised of ten chapters that begin with a brief overview of nightfighting in the early phases of WW II, proceed through the foundation of Geschwader Hermann and its transformation into JG 300, and end four months after the unit’s conversion to the dayfighter role in May of 1944. The text and photos are complemented by an intriguing Introduction on the Luftwaffe’s criteria for acceptance of victory claims, numerous footnotes — more than a hundred in Chapter Ten alone! — that provide helpful detail without detracting from the flow of the narrative, twenty-six color profiles by Tom Tullis, two fly-leaf paintings by co-author Richard Goyat, seven appendices, and a detailed eight-page index. All of the color profiles are documented by photographs, and some of the camouflage and marking schemes that they portray are both surprising and spectacular. Eagle Editions is releasing decals for approximately half of these aircraft, the profiles of which can be seen at http://www.eagle-editions.com/decal88.htm , http://www.eagle-editions.com/decal89.htm and http://www.eagle-editions.com/decal90.htm .

Conclusions:

A marvelously successful example of multi-tasking, this book is highly recommended for Luftwaffe modelers, aviation historians, and casual readers interested in World War II.

Review copyright © 2005 by Charles Metz

Erich
19th July 2005, 04:46
and I think we can give a big Thank-you to Falkeeins for translating both volumes ............

thumbs up Neil !

E ♪

Tim Rossiter
26th July 2005, 21:56
Has anyone received word on when our pre-ordered copies of this book will be shipped? I called Patty at Eagle Editions repeatedly today and just got a full voice mail recording. Last word I got from her was that the book would arrive mid-July...

jad
26th July 2005, 22:04
I had preorder this book too and no info yet. About your phones, they have been attend Nats Expo in Atlanta these days.

FalkeEins
29th July 2005, 00:30
..did any Atlanta visitors see the book in fact ? (John perhaps..?)

Erich
29th July 2005, 02:26
Haven't seen anything mentioned on Hyperscale as of yet/posted my own inquiry; but the Crandalls and crew may be enroute back to Montana ? give them another several days, the book should be just around the corner.....

Greets all ! Erich ~

John Beaman
29th July 2005, 14:30
Yes, I have a copy in my hot little hands. They bought 45 copies to Atlanta and they were all gone by Friday. The "pre-orders" are being shipped now.

It is an excellant, well-produced volume. It goes through mid-September 1944. Great stories, text and photos, most not previously seen. There are also, apparently, some new losses and claims not previously listed.

John P Cooper
30th July 2005, 21:37
John ~ did you happen to see a copy of the special ed? (leather bound) if so what are your thoughts?

John Beaman
30th July 2005, 21:53
John I did not see one although I think they had one there. I'm too rough on my books to get one of those!

Dick Powers
5th August 2005, 22:15
I just received email notification that JG 300 is on the way. Looking forward to it.

Eric Larger
5th August 2005, 22:17
You will be surprised by the book one of best written on luftwaffe unit

Eric

John P Cooper
6th August 2005, 07:37
Well I arrived home and found a rather large and heavy box on my door step tonight!

Yes it has arrived!! book 17/300 and it looks and feels great - I cant wait to read this over my vacation which starts next week!

John P Cooper
7th August 2005, 08:59
I took a quick peek and here is what I found.

It is a very heavy book with a dark leather ver embossed in silver. The book contains many many pictures of planes and their pilots including some very nice color shots! There are also many color plates, loss & victory lists...

Cheers

Laurent Chambon
14th August 2005, 14:36
Hi everybody,

Just want to say that this book is excellent. Got the Docovia edition. For me it's the book of the year.

One thing that make me wonder is the big difference beetween Luftwaffe pilots Mustangs Claims and actual USAAF admitted loses.

Reading the introduction from the author does not answer the question : there is too much difference beetween claims and loses. And the first hand stories by the pilot stating the actual damage inflicted to the mustangs could not led to misinterpretation : These aircrafts claimed shot down could not have survived such damage in many of these cases...

So what the experts interpretation ?

Thank you for your answers

Laurent

Flitzer
21st August 2005, 21:44
Another book related to JG 300, one may wish to consider getting Rendezvous with Destiny, as the German pilot who shot down "Just Elmer's Tune" was Günther Sinnecker of JG 300. Lots of nice photos even if the print quality is not that good. For a few bucks on the used book market, it will make a nice addition to your library. I almost missed this book because it was from a small publishing house, Universal Publishers.

(From the publishers description)

On the 24th of February, 1944, 867 bombers of the 8th Air Force were heading for targets on German territory. One of these B-17s named "Just Elmer´s Tune" did not make it home to base again; its 13th mission was going to be its last. Several German fighter planes attacked them during their mission and finally they crash landed in Denmark.

This documentary follows the different crewmembers' destiny that day, minute by minute and during their imprisonment in Germany until the liberation. It was possible for the author to track down the German pilot who shot down "Just Elmer´s Tune" and so it is possible to tell his side of the story too.

On June 27th, 1998, Fritz Ulrich set up a meeting in Berlin where Günther Sinnecker, the German pilot, and Edwin Hays, the tail gunner from "Just Elmer´s Tune", met for the first time face to face 54 years after they had shot each other's plane down. This story is visualized with some 240 pictures, maps and documents which have been provided from crewmembers of "Just Elmer´s Tune" and from the German pilot. The story is based on interviews and written accounts from the people involved and from research in different archives.

Nick Beale
22nd August 2005, 14:49
One thing that make me wonder is the big difference beetween Luftwaffe pilots Mustangs Claims and actual USAAF admitted loses.

... there is too much difference beetween claims and loses. And the first hand stories by the pilot stating the actual damage inflicted to the mustangs could not led to misinterpretation : These aircrafts claimed shot down could not have survived such damage in many of these cases...

You speak about "USAAF admitted losses" but you have to ask how any air force could cover up losses of aircraft and men on this scale and why they would want to do it? I'm not talking about propaganda released to the press but internal documents.

Every unit commander wants to replace every pilot and machine he loses or his force will gradually disappear. To get those replacements, he has to notify higher command of his losses (he may even exaggerate a little) - reports have to be filed and records kept. Those are the records historians try to use when they talk about numbers.

Jean-Yves Lorant
22nd August 2005, 23:02
Hi Flitzer,

If it is historically checked, it is a beautiful story...but I regret to inform you that on 24 of february 1944 Leutnant Günther Sinnecker was not yet posted to JG 300. He was a pilot of JG 302 in Ludwigslust. Please notice that JG 300 and 302 were two different units, even their missions were often similar (night and day home defence). However, there is no OKL-claim filed by Lt. Sinnecker this day...

Flitzer
23rd August 2005, 23:15
Hi Jean-Yves,

As my screen name indicates I do things in too much of a hurry as my post proves. You are correct, on 24 February 1944 Günther Sinnecker was with II/ JG 302. He did not join JG 300 until after D-Day. I shall be more careful in future. Aside from that, the book, Rendezvous with Destiny, is still an interesting book. I especially enjoyed the photos of the Sinneckers with the tail gunner of "Just Elmer's Tune" and his family, taken in 1998.

Ruy Horta
8th September 2005, 20:33
Although I am not familiar with the french edition I have to say that Eagle Editions really have out done themselves, although judging by books like Green Hearts one can hardly imagine that's still possible.

Even the normal edition can hardly be described as normal, it's publishing work of the highest order.

Of course you will always encounter people with different tastes, but even they must admit that the quality is superb.

There has been plenty of compliment on the content, which on first glance is equally impressive, but you will certainly get your money's worth in terms of production value.

Congratulations on a stunning piece of work!

...now I must start reading :)

Eric Larger
8th September 2005, 22:40
Hello Ruy

You are right , even more when you know the efforts and the time spent on this project .

According to me it is one of the most interesting and valuable on the history of one unit of the Luftwaffe .

So you have not yet read it ! I do it twice !! :rolleyes:

Don't waste time , volume II will be issued ... :-)

Eric :)

heinz
16th September 2005, 17:38
I have received the Book this Week .
Very well done .
Great Job .

Jean-Yves Lorant
16th September 2005, 23:01
Hi Jean-Charles,

When I first "discovered" the remains of B-17 "Beats me!?" in Keronic woods not far from Kerauffret I was only 15 old. Do you remember our unespected meeting in Vincennes ? I only hope you well enjoy the forthcoming vol. 2 of the JG 300-Chronicle.

Hals und Beinbruch ! Kenavo...

Erich
16th September 2005, 23:20
Jean just a quick couple of words. thanks to you and Richard for a wonderful work. On second note, former pilot of 10.(N)/JG 300, Fritz Neppach died several months ago if you are not aware.

Erich

Jean-Yves Lorant
17th September 2005, 16:27
Hi Erich,

Thank you very much for the compliment about our long-awaited book. I only hope now that you - a seasoned specialist - will too enjoy volume 2. The sad new of Friedrich Neppach's death was already transmitted by friends Dr. Karl Mitterdorfer and Georg Czypionka... but came simply too late for enable us to add the detestable crosses in the thanking list. Same sad new for two 1. Staffel/JG 300 old hands, Ofw. Ernst Rummel and Hans Fenten, who passed away for over one year. Both had flown the ramming mission of SKdo. Elbe on April 7, 1945... I will never forgive these nice men.

Erich
17th September 2005, 16:41
Jean Yves I had thought that might be a possibility that the two men had contacted you. Karl was having his own health issues but seems to be recovering well. Yes quite depressing having to put the crosses by the names of some many contacts and good friends, time is slipping by way to quickly ....

looking forward to the volume 2

heinz
17th September 2005, 19:52
Hi Jean-Charles,

When I first "discovered" the remains of B-17 "Beats me!?" in Keronic woods not far from Kerauffret I was only 15 old. Do you remember our unespected meeting in Vincennes ? I only hope you well enjoy the forthcoming vol. 2 of the JG 300-Chronicle.

Hals und Beinbruch ! Kenavo...

Hi Jean-Yves .
Of Course , I remember our meeting the last year in Vincennes . this summer , i have meet in USA the last men of the crew who are still alive .great moment .
I wait the vol. 2 now .
I hope that the next time , i will go to Vincennes , i will see you again.
kenavo

Jean-Yves Lorant
17th September 2005, 20:22
Hallo Erich,

Wie üblich konnte ich gerade feststellen, daß meine englische Sprachkenntnisse sehr begrenzt sind. Zum Tode der Freunden Hans Fenten und Ernst Rummel wollte ich natürlich "will not forget these nice men" schreiben, habe leider dummerweise "forgive" geschrieben. Ich bitte um Entschuldigung ...

Hals und Beinbruch !

Erich
26th September 2005, 22:03
Jean-Yves your English is better than my Deutsch :)

yes we must not forget any of the brave pilots that served and died in duty for their country. At my cousins gravesite in Holtensen some years ago was an inscription laid at the foot of his old oak wooden cross which I use as my signature:

Nur die jenigen die man vergisst, sind wirklich tot

Gruß

Erich ~

Rasmussen
6th October 2005, 21:20
An small addition after the first view (and looking pictures) ;-):On page 142 the caption say: "The significance of the small number "36" that can be discerned in the Balkenkreuz of Kurt Gabler's "red 8" is not known."This digits were the first two digits of the 5 - digit internal Erla W.Nr.. Long time the factory wrote this number in the Balkenkreuz before the a/c was test flown and camouflaged. An example of this practice you can find on p.118 in the Prien/Rodeike - book. Best wishesRasmussen

Jean-Yves Lorant
7th October 2005, 02:02
Hi Rasmussen,

Many thanks for your good link, this aircraft was obviously an Erla-built 109 G-6. We found this information simply too late for the american version of our JG 300-chronicle, sorry. In the french edition, my co-author Richard Goyat wrote (I hope you can read the french...) "Le petit nombre 36 que l'on distingue dans la croix de fuselage du 8 rouge de Kurt Gabler est le reste d'un numéro de série peint à différents emplacements de la cellule lors du montage de l'avion, vraisemblablement par l'usine Erla de Leipzig". You will find some little additions like this one in the french books . It was just a question of time. Please notice that this "red 8" and the other famous "red 8" on page 246 of the Eagle book are separate planes, both really flown by Oblt. Kurt Gabler. I knowed personally my "Uncle Kurt" (he called me in all letters "lieber Neffe Jean-Yves") and had a several years correspondence with this very nice man. I possess also a Xerox-copy of his complete JG 300 logbook - so no more doubt about both "red 8"s.
By the way, may I ask you ...what did you think about this book ?
Thanks again !

Jean-Yves Lorant

Rasmussen
9th October 2005, 13:04
Hello Mr. Lorant,now I had time to read the book. It's an fascinating and well done work with a lot of interesting informations. I like this kind of chronicle - day by day. Now I'm waiting for the volume II and I think it's in the same high quality. -----An small correction:loss list - 11.09.1944, Uffz.Horst Völkert, W.Nr. 460 303--------I'm sure (100%) that's the W.Nr. 460 330. The number 460 303 wasn't delivered by Erla but the number 460 330.Best wishesRasmussen

Jean-Yves Lorant
9th October 2005, 21:30
Hi Rasmussen,

Many thanks for the kind words. Volume 2 (french) was send this week to the printer and the Eagle book will be soon ready.
You may be right regarding the Erla-built G-14/AS WNr. 460 303 (or 460 330 ?). If it is an error, it is a wartime genuine error, because you will also find this number 460 303 in the WASt files. You cant avoid such glarring errors in the official Luftwaffe archives...we found ourselves similar errors.
And a 460 303 does exist aniway. Why not with I./JG 300 ?
All the best from France -
Jean-Yves Lorant

Rasmussen
10th October 2005, 00:01
Hello Mr. Lorant, the number 460 303 is for sure an error -- of course an wartime genuine error. I know every single W.Nr. produced by Erla from January 1943 to April 1945 (included the gaps) and there wasn't an 460 303. The first G - 14/AS left the factory in Leipzig was the 460 322 (was the first number from 460 xxx batch too). ---- Best wishes and the same sucess for volume II ---- Rasmussen

SES
10th October 2005, 16:32
After all the acclaim above I decided: This is a book I must have. It is indeed going to be a sight to behold on the bookshelf, the illustrations are magnificent, the print and paper quality is second to none. If your main interest is aircraft, personalities and the exploits of pilots I can thoroughly recommend it. Considering the quality of production it is worth the money.
With my next comments I do realize that I run the risk of being counted among those “self-appointed historians” who wish to discredit you. That is not my purpose. But I miss something.

A map of the area of operation with the locations mentioned in the text would have been no harm.

Photo credits. Scores of individuals must have contributed as mentioned in your acknowledgements, but who contributed what?

Notes with reference to the source. Now it is transparent if you have the information from a published source or a BAMA file.

Your short description of the German night fighting system suffers from a number of inaccuracies and you do not describe the Himmelbett-Verfahren at all, but the widespread popular, incorrect one. This may sound like a small point, but it is not. It was also the paralyzing effect Windows had on the ability to perform Himmelbett-Verfahren which contributed to making Wilde Say a viable option. And without the correct description of Himmelbett and Y-Jagdverfahren (Tag) it becomes impossible to explain Zahme Sau.

You state that Müller’s Fw 190 was equipped with the Naxos radar. To the best of my knowledge the Naxos was never installed in the Fw 190 but in twin engined nightfighters and 2 Staffeln of Bf 109 only. And the Naxos was not a radar, but a passive receiver designed to home on the emissions from the H2S.

A Jagdkorps commanded a finite number of Jagddivisionen not an unspecified number of units.

A Luftnachrichten Kompanie was not an “Air Intelligence Company” but a Control and Reporting unit manning a radar site or a number of FLUWAs.

A Y-Flug is a flight conducted under control of a Jägerleit Stellung utilizing the Y-Linien for Y-Verfahren.

It is a pity with such inaccuracies in an otherwise fine publication.

Bregds
SES

Richard Goyat
11th October 2005, 19:16
Thank you, SES, for your kind words regarding the quality and interest for our work. Have no fear, we appreciate any comments regarding our work- as you have produced books yourself we know that you understand how much of a balancing act works like this entail. Although we haven’t unfortunately had the chance to read them, it is apparent from the solid documentation you provide on your site Gyges, that they would undoubtedly be worthy of further investigation.

As far as your comments are concerned it is reassuring to note that none of them concern the principal theme of the work – a day-by-day account of the activities of JG 300. In fact, what you refer to as criticisms and inaccuracies seem to us to comprise nothing more than a simple request for further information and explanation, which we are happy to provide here.

"A map of the area of operation with the locations mentioned in the text would have been no harm. "

Agreed – we had planned to provide one. Unfortunately in the end we ran up against the dreaded deadlines that the production of any book entails – especially a huge work like this one. However the reader isn’t totally on his own, since on pages 386-387 we have reproduced a large section of one of our pilot’s navigation maps. The reproduction – given the quality of the original document – is perhaps not as fine and as clear as one could have wished for – but the map nonetheless covers a wide area of JG 300’s operational zones. As this is the actual document utilized by the pilots it is more than interesting from the point of view of the history of JG 300.

"Photo credits. Scores of individuals must have contributed as mentioned in your acknowledgements, but who contributed what?"

The absence of an individual credit underneath each photo is a deliberate choice made by the authors in concertation with our pilot friends and families who have furnished the material over the years. As you can appreciate from the acknowledgements, these were mainly former members of JG 300 or their families. Given that they are now mostly elderly citizens we have been careful to preserve their privacy and not expose them to potential harassment from collectors and autograph hunters. It goes without saying that when confronted with direct evidence of the mis-use by unscrupulous authors & web-masters of the small number of photos that we have loaned out to others or when photos or pages torn from albums appear for sale on e-Bay, then we are happy that we took such a decision here.

"Notes with reference to the source. Now it is transparent if you have the information from a published source or a BAMA file."

Once again this was a deliberate choice on our part. Our main concern was to create a work that was “readable” – even so this required hundreds of footnotes. Listing the documents used here was not an option. In addition, identifying each source individually would have increased the size of the book beyond what was economic – as it is the work comprises two 400-page volumes.

"Your short description of the German night fighting system [...] do not describe the Himmelbett-Verfahren at all, but the widespread popular, incorrect one."

Although not entirely certain what you mean here, please do not mistake our work for something it is not. Our principal theme is JG 300 and the unit’s aerial operations – it is not a treatise on the command system and organisational structure of the German night fighting arm taken as a whole. The book assumes a certain amount of prior knowledge. We had to take some shortcuts when evaluating the functioning of those parts of the organisation that touched on our subject matter. They may appear incomplete to yourself, but to dwell on them at any length went far beyond the scope of our work and can in any event be researched from more specialised works (such as your own).

"It was also the paralyzing effect Windows had on the ability to perform Himmelbett-Verfahren which contributed to making Wilde Say a viable option"

Of course – we haven’t said different at all...

"And without the correct description of Himmelbett and Y-Jagdverfahren (Tag) it becomes impossible to explain Zahme Sau."

That’s as maybe, but our work deals only with JG 300 – a wilde Sau Geschwader. We have therefore only mentioned zahme Sau in passing. A more detailed description of this method of night fighting is best left to others – it was certainly not a principal concern of ours in writing the history of JG 300.

"You state that Müller’s Fw 190 was equipped with the Naxos radar. To the best of my knowledge the Naxos was never installed in the Fw 190 but in twin engined nightfighters and 2 Staffeln of Bf 109 only."

Friedrich-Karl Müller’s description of the Naxos fitting in his 190 came from the pilot himself.

"And the Naxos was not a radar, but a passive receiver designed to home on the emissions from the H2S."

This is exactly how we have described the working of Naxos – see page 120. You appear to consider that any homing device, even where passive, should not be referred to by the umbrella term of radar – which stands for Radio Direction and Ranging. While Naxos certainly did not have a « ranging » function, it was certainly possible to determine « Direction ». Perhaps the term radar was not as inappropriate here as you care to believe...

"A Jagdkorps commanded a finite number of Jagddivisionen not an unspecified number of units."

This surely amounts to saying the same thing – the reader will have understood that via the Jagddivisionen, it was the units (of varying number) that a Jagdkorps commanded...

"A Luftnachrichten Kompanie was not an “Air Intelligence Company” but a Control and Reporting unit manning a radar site or a number of FLUWAs."

Nachrichten has the sense – among others – of information. Intelligence is the process of collecting information. Is the role of « control and reporting » as defined by yourself really that different from the process of assessing and collating information implicit in our translation?

"A Y-Flug is a flight conducted under control of a Jägerleit Stellung utilizing the Y-Linien for Y-Verfahren."

Our description doesn’t differ from yours. However as it appears in our glossary there was little point in employing the same German language terms in a description of German language terms! We have furnished some details of how the system functioned in practise, but admit that when referring to technical details we have preferred to approach the subject from the viewpoint of the end-user and not quote the system manual verbatim.

Hopefully these lines of explanation will have answered some of your questions. We are sorry to say that our work – in one or two details – may not correspond to what you would have liked to read. Frankly though, these details belong in another book, a work of reference devoted to the subject…

Best Regards

Jean-Yves Lorant – Richard Goyat

SES
11th October 2005, 19:34
Dear Mr. Jean-Yves Lorant – Richard Goyat.
Thank you very much for giving such a lengthy reply. I would love to see a picture of a Naxos equipped Fw 190 as I am sure a lot of other people would. It would be a sensation.
I object because your description of the Himmelbett system is incorrect and in my personal opinion a few lines giving the correct one could not have harmed.
A radar is a system which sends out a pulse, dwells and receives a reply. Range and bearing is detremined. A passive receiver is not a radar.
bregds
SES

John P Cooper
12th October 2005, 03:41
Monsieur Goyat,

Within the text statistics are provided for the combined losses for the USAAF & RAF (aircraft and aircrew) from 11-18-43 to 3-24-44 (Battle for Berlin) can you provide similar numbers for the Luftwaffe? I have been trying to get some information from Tony Woods site but have had no luck.

Merci beaucoup

BTW really enjoying the book!

FalkeEins
23rd October 2005, 18:19
FWIW the following is a partial response to comments posted by Burkhard Otto at Flugzeugforum.de

« Ich gratuliere ! Mal ganz ehrlich : ich glaube, daß Ihre jahrelange Recherchierarbeit Früchte getragen hat ! Das wird eine ausehenerregende Arbeit über das bisher so stiefmütterlich behandelte Geschwader werden. Da werden die Herren Autoren aber Augen machen ! »

(Ernst Schröder, Fw. und FF bei der 5./JG 300 – )

« Ihr Buch ist angekommen ! Sie können sich gar nicht vorstellen, mit welcher Freude aber auch Neugier ich es aufgeschlagen habe. Natürlich habe ich gleich « meinen » Teil gesucht. Alles konnte ich noch nicht lesen, aber ich kann jetzt bereits sagen, daß ich das Werk ganz ausgezeichnet finde und es mich drängt Ihnen gleich schon meinen herzlichsten Dank auszusprechen für diese umfangreiche und sachliche Aufarbeitung dieses Teiles der Geschichte, die für uns Schicksal war… »

(Karl Mitterdorfer, Lt. und FF bei der 10 (N) Moskito /JG 300 ).

« Vielen vielen Dank für das eindrucksvolle Buch, das sich durch sein Konzept, seine Gestaltung, historische Genauigkeit und vorzügliche Austatten auszeichnet. Meine Hochachtung für dieses Buch und die immense Arbeit, die dahinter steht…ich habe richtig vor den Augen, wie sich mein Vater und auch meine Mutter dieses Buch angesehen hätten, doch das Schicksal wollte es anders. »

(Wolfgang Engst, son, Fw. Hubert Engst, FF bei der 6./JG 300 )

reprising the above -loosely- for those who don't read German

-Congratulations on your lengthy researches that have finally borne fruit..an exciting work on a unit that has received little coverage - this will really knock them for six!
-Your book has arrived. You can barely imagine the pleasure it gives me to thumb through it. Although I haven't read the entire work, I can state that it has made an excellent impression and I thank you wholeheartedly for the extensive and accurate portrayal of 'my' involvement..
-Many thanks for this most impressive book..a benchmark for historical accuracy- superbly laid out and presented. I salute the enormous research effort that went into it. This is how my father and mother would have wanted it..

Tom Semenza
23rd October 2005, 20:44
M. Lorant:

First let me add my praise for your excellent book (c'est formidable, mes félicitation!) I have read the book and extracted much valuable information for my own little research project.

I have a question regarding Robert Plewa. In the photo caption on page 66, you state that the 109 with 6 Soviet victory bars and 5 RAF night claim bars could have been flown by either Oblt. Robert Plewa or Fw. Horst John. Now I am aware that John claimed 6 victories with 5./JG 52 in the Spring of 1943. However I have not found any claims for Plewa with any other units. Can you provide any information on Plewa's service record prior to joining JG Herrmann?

I am looking forward to volume 2 with great anticipation.

Merci à l'avance,

Tom Semenza

Jean-Yves Lorant
23rd October 2005, 21:13
Hi M. Semenza !Well observed, Tom. As we stated in the french book on page 68, the pilot was most likely Fw. Horst John. I dont have infos about Robert Plewa's previous career.Now I have the sad duty to inform all JG 300 friends that on october 5th a great Wilde Sau pilot, Lt. Lothar Sachs (I./JG 300 - NJG 11) passed away. Lothar was born on october 14, 1920. He was a skilled pilot and pianist. Those who knew him will never forget his good humor...

Von Alles
26th October 2005, 19:16
From the publisher : the second volume of the french edition of JG 300 will be issued on december 1st !!

Von Alles

Fly_Flap
9th November 2005, 20:03
Looking forward for these books in German!

Regards!

Jean-Yves Lorant
9th November 2005, 23:39
Hallo Fly Flap,

Eine deutsche Auslage ist ernsthaft vorausgesehen...für heute noch Zukunftmusik.

Hals und Beinbruch !

bernhard mitterdorfer
10th November 2005, 00:34
Hallo Jean Yves!

Habe bei meinem Vater in der französischen Ausgabe geschmökert: meine absolute Hochachtung vor diesem beeindruckenden Werk.Dankeschön

Bernhard Mitterdorfer

Erich
10th November 2005, 21:23
Bernhard :

Sie werden erfreut sein zu hören, dass die militärische Laufbahn ihres Vaters in das Buch "Moskitojagd über Deutschland" Eingang finden wird.

Bitte richten Sie Ihrem Vater meine herzlichen Grüße aus.

mit freundlichen Grüßen

Erich Brown, Gordon Permann

Jean-Yves Lorant
12th November 2005, 16:37
Lieber Bernhard,

Ganz herzlichen Dank für Deine freundlichen Zeilen, die mich an unserem Treffen in Gersfeld an der Wasserkuppe sehr nachdenklich gemacht haben - es freut uns besonders, daß Du auch unsere Chronik für gut befunden hast. Der Band 2 (franz. Auslage) wird innerhalb von fünf Tagen erscheinen. Ich melde mich demnächst schriftlich mit Farbmaterial bei Dir...

Alles Liebe und Gute, Bernhard - und bis auf bald

Dein Jean-Yves

John Beaman
13th November 2005, 21:49
This is a great thread with well-deserved comments on a great book. but, can we keep the replies in English for the rest of us who would delight in sharing the comments and information.

Thanks

John Beaman

bernhard mitterdorfer
13th November 2005, 22:39
Dear John!

Will be done in the future

I m the son of one of the old JG 300 pilots and that for interested in this topic.
I hope Brown/Perman s book will come in the near future- there are some veterans waiting, and it isn t that those people has a lot of time!!
Lorant/Goyat s book is really good stuff - the french edition is great, for the english edition i am waiting since August, but the shipping to german booksellers obviously takes time.

Bernhard

PhilippeDM
18th November 2005, 09:15
Heard yesterday from my favourite Brussels Bookshopkeeper: Volume II from Docavia (French edition) is announced and should be there before Christmass.

Very best regards,

Philippe

O.Menu
1st December 2005, 17:27
Found Vol2 French edition in the mail box this morning :) -

Exactly same good feelling as for the first one

FalkeEins
1st December 2005, 18:18
raconte un peu...

O.Menu
2nd December 2005, 03:21
Ok, ok... i was only able to turn pages for 10 mn this morning before running to work and then post on the forum. I finally come back home only after midnight, and do some search to answer Simon about the He162. Now it's near 2am so excuse if i m short:

- as big as Vol 1: 350 pages

- Chapters:
1: the Netherlands: 16 Sept44 - 2 Oct44
2: Last reinforcements: 3 Oct44 - 23 Nov44
3: The climbing: 26 Nov44 - 20 Janv45
4: Incursion on the East Front: 21 Janv45 - 24 Fev45
5: Last jerks: 22 Fev45 - 8 Mai 45

- very same very good quality paper and big format photos

- if i m right 14 profils from C.Sundin and 4 from R.Goyat. Those last as in vol 1 unfortunately again slightly too much contrasted in the printing process.

- some very interesting photos: I will extract 4:
* one showing a pilot in is Bf 109 from above with knees in contact with both side wall from the cocpit
* one color photo which confirm black nosed JG 300 aircraft at the end of the war
* one we already viewed here on TOCH showing a JG 301 Fw 190A with white horizontal bar (J.Y Lorant also though this one is from I./JG 301 ;) ) and overpainted fuselage number which is actually a very famous Fw 190 previously from JG 300 !
* And finally a JG 300 pilot took a photo from his last flying equipement: a map, a knife, flying google, yellow "Deutsche Luftwaffe" arm band,... and the clock from his instrument panel
>> I though to remember that this clock was very personnal and that the pilot took it with them when they left the cockpit could anyone confirm this?

2h30 am time to sleep a little, Cheers, Olivier...

O.Menu
2nd December 2005, 09:23
forgot to mention about the appendices:

- list of the victories
- list of the losses
- Luftflotte6 units and airfields (but not airplanes) from 6th May 45 and an uncredible less detailed same kind of statement from 7th May 45 !

Jean-Yves Lorant
4th December 2005, 20:49
Hi Olivier

The sheer relief and pleasure that we should have felt on the publication of Vol II of our history of JG 300 - after 25 years research and writing - has been somewhat tarnished by the stupidity of a picture editor at the French publishers Larivière. Against our wishes, the photo on page 17 of Volume II has been gratuitously retouched - a large defect just above the Staffel number 12 on Ofw. Otto Hehlert's Bf 109 G-14/AS (9./JG 300) has been removed. The authors weren't consulted of course. Fortunately this detail did not escape our good friend Claes Sundin, who has produced a magnificent profile of this machine on page 18. The 'curse of Lariviève' also struck on pages 180-181- the contrast compared to the original photos is much reduced. The authors have taken the publishers to task for this and other calamities, notably the two colour pictures in Vol 1 that were printed in black and white (page 66). Purists now have a number of additional reasons to prefer the Eagle Editions productions of the two volumes of our JG 300 history.
The Larivière JG 300 volumes are otherwise superbly printed and while these 'faults' may appear unimportant when set against the 350 pages of each book, I nonetheless felt it should be pointed out that Richard Goyat and myself were not responsible. While I'm here, I'd like to warmly thank Claes Sundin for his superb profile artwork. He met all the editor's deadlines despite the workload....Merci et bravo, Claes ! Thanks to our friend Joël Taton - Larivière's talented graphic artist- who really got into the subject and produced a superbly laid-out book..
The French edition - unlike the American - does not feature an index.. However we have reproduced the most spectacular pages from the Flugbuch of Oberleutnant Kurt Gabler- featuring the last flights of the infamous Bf 109 G-6 'Red 8' - with its seventeen victory markings - for the benefit of our friend 'Bobo'. Perhaps now he's confronted with the evidence - Gabler did not fly a machine with a black Staffel number - as he persists in believing....
Congratulations for your work about JG 301 late-war markings, Olivier - et bonne lecture !

Hals und Beinbruch an alle -

Erich
4th December 2005, 21:12
Jean-Yves :

Simple question :

Is Erich Staschewski still wtih us ?, and I should probably await EE's second volume but didn't he fly the Dora-9 in the unit ?

many thanks

Erich ~

Jean-Yves Lorant
4th December 2005, 22:03
Hi Erich,

Erich Staschewski (7./JG 300) died for many years. His only known mission at the controls of a Dora-9 occured on April 24th, 1945 (low level attack of the last Donau-bridges and allied road-traffic in the Höchstädt-Dillingen-Aislingen area). This was the second mission of II./JG 300 of the day - and for him, as described in our volume 2, the very last one.

All the best from France

Erich
4th December 2005, 22:33
vielen Dank Jean-Yves !

Beste Grüße

Erich ~ and wishing you much success with the new volume 2 French and in the English

FalkeEins
27th December 2005, 11:52
.. my copy JG 300 Vol II (Docavia ) arrived just in time for Christmas... thanks Richard !!

stunning ! & the Goyat/Sundin artwork is superb !...highlights (covered photographically) include the G-6/AS with the large comet emblem on the cowl in close-up (10./JG 300), six new photos of a red-legged G-10 of IV./JG 300, a Sturm 190 in eastern front camo finish with the blue/white/blue bands ..and plenty more ..

most Luftwaffe unit histories end up covering the late-war period in only sketchy detail.. here the last chapter in the book (March, April) is the longest at over 100 pages.. there are even personal accounts from the fighting in Prague in May 1945..
Book of the year !

Don Caldwell
31st December 2005, 22:42
First, let me add my vote to those saying that Vol I is one of the best Luftwaffe unit histories -- ever. Second, altho I have my order in with the Crandalls for Vol II, I have an urgent need for the French edition. I don't read French, but the tables (credited, of course) will be very useful for a project of my own, which has an early deadline. I haven't had any luck contacting Docavia directly -- can anyone help me get "quick" service (including air mail)?

Horrido!

Don

FalkeEins
1st January 2006, 13:58
..a good on-line source (aside from the specialist book shops) would be amazon.fr

Lorant/Goyat JG 300 Vol II Docavia (http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/2848901039/qid=1136116980/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/403-7826079-9924447)

Don Caldwell
3rd January 2006, 23:23
Thanks for the help. Amazon is out of stock, but I was finally able to track down a purchase order from the publisher, Lariviere, thru a site titled "L'aerobibliotheque" & order directly. This was much tougher than most internet searches. Docavia is a Lariviere imprint and has no site of its own, and the Lariviere site itself appears to list only magazines. But it looks like things are moving in the right direction -- the key was finding the French title (thru Amazon) & searching for that with Google. Surprisingly (or not) there's no Jagdgeschwader 300 or JG 300 in the title.

Don Caldwell

Nick Beale
4th January 2006, 10:56
Don, you could also try "La Maison du Livre Aviation" in Paris. Their website is:

http://www.livre-aviation.com/mdl/indexmarket.html

I've only bought from them in person rather than online but the shop itself is excellent.

indianer1
4th January 2006, 10:58
This is probably not the most appropriate location for this query, but since Mr. Lorant is participating in this thread, thought I will ask :

Any online source for procuring "Le Focke Wulf 190" which I understand is long out of print and very difficult to locate ?
Thoroughly enjoyed "JG 300 Vol. 1" and looking forward to volume 2....

Regds,

Ruy Horta
4th January 2006, 11:27
One might just as well ask if there are any ideas to translate this work to english and republish?

FalkeEins
6th January 2006, 20:37
..I did put this question directly to M. Lorant a while ago...and the answer is a qualified 'yes'...

meanwhile here is a link to an excellent recent review of the Eagle Editions Vol 1 JG 300 - with sample profiles, pictures and text extracts

"...the pilots' stories make for some of the most gripping descriptions of WW2 dogfighting I've ever read - they are as vivid as if the events took place yesterday and the contrast between the sheer scale of some the actions, the tiny details of personal drama, the terror and, ultimately, the tragic waste of young lives is noteworthy..."

JG 300 Vol 1 review by Rowan Baylis (http://www.armorama.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=1278)

indianer1
7th January 2006, 08:10
Thanks for the indications ... hopefully the translation would be out in the not-too distant future...

Eric Larger
26th January 2006, 14:43
Hello

I have just finished reading the second volume of JG300 ( french issue ) .

Superb !

Nice unknown photos , machines but also me and women of this unit even after having exchange their military uniforms against civil clothes . The very last weeks of the war are really interesting .

It would be too much long to describe here , so buy it , it is much more than worthy !

All the best

Eric

FalkeEins
27th January 2006, 22:32
..I too am still engrossed in Vol II of this amazing work (French edition) - I was however very intrigued to see that the photo of Erhardt's 'Red 8' in flight as published on P353 of Peter Rodeike's Jagdflugzeug 190 volume doesn't appear anywhere in this book...it's credited to Held in the Rodeike book - who would have taken it..Bretschneider presumably..?

Jean-Yves Lorant
28th January 2006, 16:03
I have the basic photograph, that Herren Werner Held und Peter Rodeike were wrongly credited (the last quoted author is by far the most serious). It doesnt matter, there are large doubts about the authenticity of this image. An artists impression ? For that reason we decided to drew it aside from the book.

Cheers, "Falke Eins" my friend !

FalkeEins
19th March 2006, 12:31
for interested bibliophiles I have transcribed and translated Fred Marsaly's Aerostories interview with Jean-Yves Lorant. Jean-Yves talks candidly about the ups and downs of researching and writing his two volume history of JG 300. You can get there via my home page link. Thanks for reading

Kaczmarek (http://members.aol.com/falkeeins/Sturmgruppen/contents.html)

merit210
31st March 2006, 19:43
Hallo Herr Lorant,

ich wollte mal fragen ob die deutsche Version vielleicht schon etwas näher gerückt ist, oder ob es noch eine Weile dauert? Bin am überlegen, mir doch die englische Version zu holen.

Viele Grüße
Manfred

P.S. Grüße auch von meinem Löbnitzer Freund M. Stoye, den Sie ja noch kennen müssten!

Jean-Yves Lorant
1st April 2006, 01:43
Hallo Manfred

Die Sache kann Ihnen widersinnig scheinen, aber die Benutzung der deutschen Sprache ist in der Regel auf diesem Forum nicht erwünscht. Ich muß mich aus diesem Grund kurz fassen, sonst wird der gute Herr Horta in seinem blendenden Stil "schimpfen".
Die Probeseiten des 2ten Bandes, die uns vor kurzem übersandt wurden, wimmeln noch von Fehlern aller Art. Haarsträubend, im wärsten Sinne des Wortes! Dieser Umstand ist größtenteils auf einer schlechten Computer-Handhabung bei Eagle Editions zurückzuführen. Wird hoffentlich bald korrigiert.
Also bitte noch ein bisschen Geduld haben. Ihnen und Herrn Matthias Stoye - mit dem ich schon korrespondiert habe - für heute einen kräftigen Hals und Beinbruch !

Please try to write in english next time...

Jean-Yves Lorant