PDA

View Full Version : Norbert Hannig & Hans -Ekkehard Bob

Ruy Horta
8th January 2005, 12:43
Although it is certainly possible that I might have missed something on the old BBS, but I was surprised to find the following two titles on offer at Amazon.co.uk:

Betrayed Ideals
Memoirs of a Luftwaffe Fighter Ace
Hans-Ekkehard Bob (with David Williams)
Cerberus Publishing, 2004
1-84145-031-6
Softcover, 160p

Luftwaffe Fighter Ace
From the Eastern Front to the Defence of the Homeland
Norbert Hannig (with John Weal)
Grub Street, 2004
1-904010-94-6
Hard Cover, 192p

Of course I had to buy the two ASAP and they have arrived yesterday. Cannot say much for the content, but they look interesting enough at a quick glance.

Lagarto
9th January 2005, 01:04
Thank you for the heads up! I didn't know about Bob's book

kaki3152
9th January 2005, 02:24
Save your money,its not that good.

Ruy Horta
9th January 2005, 11:58
Could you try and explain that opinion a bit further? Although I did regard the book as secondary to the Hannig, I try to make it a rule to buy all first hand accounts by Jagdwaffe pilots regardless.

Ruy Horta
9th January 2005, 19:57
Of course being the kind of guy I am I just had to start with the Hans-Ekkehard Bob book once I had finished the title I was currently reading (Carrier Strike, Hammel).

Although I am now roughly halfway I still think the Bob book is not too bad, its a bit rough around the edges, but IMHO it certainly has a place in "autobiography corner".

Some of the insights, call it political or psychological, are important in that they serve us well in illustrating the mindset of a generation of germans. If taken out of said context some of these writings might actually lead some to throw down the book in disgust, but in doing so they miss an important glimpse that helps explain pre-WW2 germany and middle class germans.

Hans-Ekkehard Bob aptly named chapter 6: Political Views from Subjective Knowledge.

If you are looking at a work that will greatly expand your knowledge of the germany fighter pilots, their tactics or their material, than you should not buy this title. If you are interested in the general subject matter, than I think its a nice addition to your collection.

A little premature perhaps at half way the book, but its easy to say in one word something's crap, it is different to explain why you think so...or not.

Lagarto
10th January 2005, 01:28
Ruy, would you please drop a few words about Hannig's book? It's not that easy for me to get a copy, but I might have a go if it's worth it

Ruy Horta
10th January 2005, 10:49
That would be a bit premature Lagarto, since I haven't read it yet. On first glance it looks good (hardcover edition), the subject is fresh, but the proof is in the pudding!

If your question isn't answered by someone else, I'll put something down ASAP.

As for the Bob book, its rough.
The main problem lies in it being not a very good translation, there are some very odd word choices, also it could have used some better proof reading by those in the know. On a number of occasions OberSTleutnants and described as Oberleutnants. A Knightscross becomes an Iron Cross, a fuselage a body, and the most beautifull translation of "Bombenabwurfgerät", which I must check at home and will edit into this message.

But I'll stick with my premise that it still has a place, for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

leonventer
10th January 2005, 12:24
Here's the review of "Luftwaffe Fighter Ace" I posted to the old forum on Dec 16:

Just got mine from Amazon a couple of days ago. It's an enjoyable and detailed account of Hannig's flight training and his operational service in JG 54 and Ergänzungsgruppe Ost (plus a short stint in JG 7.)

There's lots of action, but it's well balanced with details about people and everyday life. Hannig is a modest and likable man who tells it like it is, without embellishments. He's energetic and positive, and his story is more upbeat than some of the unrelentingly grim accounts, e.g. Knoke. He effectively conveys the camaraderie and loyalty in Luftwaffe units, and he describes some of the lighter-hearted moments too.

The writing is first-rate and immediate, and Weal's translation is well done. The photos are not particularly remarkable, but they complement the narrative nicely.

Highly recommended, especially because there are so few JG 54 accounts.

Leon Venter

Lagarto
10th January 2005, 20:30
Thank you, Leon, it's on my shopping list, then :)