PDA

View Full Version : Mr shores's "Air War for Burma"

marsyao
21st June 2005, 01:48
I heard Mr Christopher Shores's much expected book "Air war for Burma" is delayed, again ! it would not be published until middle August, why this keep happening ?

http://www.sonic.net/~bstone/

Jim P.
21st June 2005, 21:56
Because, more than likely, he's still immersed in his 2nd Tactical AF project. Vol. 2 of this is just out, or its release is imminent.

Ruy Horta
21st June 2005, 22:13
Vol. 2 has been released for some weeks now, but you might still be right regardless of that fact.

Jim Oxley
22nd June 2005, 11:53
It may be that the publisher (Grub Street) is planning on releasing it in August so that it corresponds with the end of WWII 60 years ago.

Or perhaps the proof copy that went to the printer contained mistakes, so that a re-run will delay the release.

The again other books published by Grub Street may have priority, which is affecting Shores book.

Why, for example, are we still awaiting the release of Christer Bergstrom's Vol.3 of his superb series 'Black Cross Red Star' by Eagle Publications? According to Christer he himself doesn't know what the delay is - and emails to Eagle elicit no response!

Publishers are a law unto themselves.

Jim P.
22nd June 2005, 19:02
Amen to that.

Ruy, I think Shores 2nd TAF project is suppose to be released in 3 volumes.

Ruy Horta
22nd June 2005, 20:15
You think correctly Jim, but that wasn't the point, although I can only repeat my previous post :)

Regards,

marsyao
22nd June 2005, 22:52
The again other books published by Grub Street may have priority, which is affecting Shores book.

Just wonder which book could be more important than Mr Shores's "battle for Burma"

Frank Olynyk
2nd July 2005, 19:54
Chris Shores has asked me to post a response to the concerns about Air War for Burma. Thus:

Readers of Chris Shores's books will know that he has been writing now for some 40 years. Having retired from his 'day job', he is now doing quite a lot of travelling, which means that he is not always where people want him to be at the time they want !!

He completed and handed over the Burma manuscript on time, but at a time when Grub Street were involved in "putting to bed" several other books - and it needs to be remembered that Grub Street is a very small publisher with only one aviation editor. It thus happened that the editor was hoping that Chris would input corrections, provide selected photos and captions during March. But in March Chris was due to be away for three weeks in the Indian Ocean.

By the time he got back and did this work, Grub Street wanted to programme proof reading and indexing in for June - but in June Chris was touring Eire. He could not therefore undertake this work until the end of the month. That might have allowed a July publication (just), but in July Chris is in Russia for two weeks, so launch has to await his return at the start of August. Thats the way these things happen chaps !

Please also remember that Chris has already produced the Billy Drake autobiography (which he in fact 'ghost-wrote') and the editing and re-writing of the Japanese Army Air Force fighter units and aces book, plus volumes 1 and 2 of 2nd TAF - and Vol 3 thereof, which is just about finished, all in the last two years. Plus of course 'Those Other Eagles' - the one that took the most work of all !
Frank.

NickM
2nd July 2005, 21:51
Frank:

I for one, am only grateful that Mr. Shores continues to write; all of his books either occupy my shelf or have crossed my table at one time or another; I am looking forward to anything he puts out, WHENEVER he gets them out;
besides, I think I've kidded you before about how understanding his wife & family must be when he used to take on these writing projects...it seems little vacation IS in order!
:D So to the rest of you: You'll get them when you get them!:D

NickM

John Beaman
5th July 2005, 01:16
Amen to Shores and others who write! After all, you will reading about something that happened 60+ years ago, and it is not going to change! What is a few months here and there till something is published?

George Hopp
5th July 2005, 09:40
I enthusiastically second the comments of NickM and John Beaman. I have always enjoyed Chris Shore's books, and only wish him the very best of health, and continued enthusiasm to keep writing.

Graham Boak
2nd August 2005, 16:45
It is advertised in the Aviation and Military History Book Club's latest monthly list. I look forward to receiving it, but feel it may be covering rather a long period. Franks ran to three books whilst leaving some gaps, and not addressing US operations at all.

marsyao
10th August 2005, 18:01
As you may already know, the publish date of Mr Shore's book has been delayed again until the end of September

marsyao
19th August 2005, 00:28
Here come the great news, now Mr shores's "Air War for Burma" is available !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/1904010954/all/202-3715380-6454263

Laurent Rizzotti
28th August 2005, 02:06
I bought it his afternoon. It is not as detailled as the first two volumes (having to cover more than 3 years...) but still a great reading.

As the 2nd TAF books, it is very good for air battles but tell apparently little about the routine ground support actions that were the daily activity of most airmen.