PDA

View Full Version : New and upcoming books

edwest
28th June 2005, 00:33
The Christian Schmidt catalog for June has arrived. Descriptions in German. Please note that I cannot tell if one or two may be reprints (though I saw no indication or nachdruck), or if a few have yet to be published. All are dated 2005.

Rijpsma, Radarstelling BIBER. Kustverdediging op Voorne 1940-1945. 140 Seiten, 21,5 x 30,5 cm, 200 s/w Fotos, Uebersichtskarten und Grundrisse. Text in hollaendischer Sprache!

Luftfahrt History 8:
Junkers Ju 322 "Mammut" Me/ZSO u.A. 46 Seiten, A4, durchgeh. s/w Fotos, Risse, Zeichnungen, a farb. Drei-Seiten-Risse.

Ritterkreuztraeger Profile 3:
Hermann Graf. 48 Seiten, DIN A4, viele s/w Fotos.

Held, Die deutsche Nachtjagd. Bildchronik der dt. Nachtjaeger bis 1945. Sonderausgabe! 232 Seiten, 21 x 24 cm, 517 Abb.

Held, Die deutsche Tagjad. Bild chronik er deutschen Tagjaeger 1945. Sonderausgabe! 224 Seiten, 21 x 24 cm, 513 Abb.

Kurowski, Hans-Joachim Marseille. Der erfolgreichste Jagdflieger des Afrikafeldzuges. Sonderausgabe! 22 Seiten, 17 x 24 cm, 141 s/w u. farb. Abb.

Luftwaffe Colours:
Williams, Nachtjaeger: Night Fighter Units 1939-1945, Vol. 1. ca 96 Seiten, 22,6 x 30,3 cm, ca 200 s/w Fotos, Farbprofile, Karten und Tabellen.

Vasco, Zerstoerer: Luftwaffe Fighter Bombers and Destroyers 1939-1945, Vol. 1. 96 Seiten, 22,6 x 30,3 cm, ca 200 s/w Fotos, Farbprofile.

Smith-Creek, Kampfflieger, Vol. 4: Summer 1943-Juni 1945. 96 Seiten, 22,6 x 30,3 cm, ca 250 s/w Fotos, 15 Farbprofile, Karten und Tabellen.

Steinhoff, In letzter Stunde. Verschwoerung der Jagdflieger, Vom Widerstand der Jagdflieger gegen Reichsmarschall Goering, Sonderausgabe! ca 302 Seiten, 15 x 20 cm, ca 35 Abb.

Steinhoff, Die Strasse von Messina. Tagebuch des Kommodore. Als Jagdgescwader-Kommodore in der Luftabwehrschlacht um Sizilien vom 21. Juni bis 13. Juli 1943. Sonderausgabe! ca 280 Seiten, 15 x 20 cm, ca 35 Abb. un Karten.

Vom Original zum Modell:
Focke-Wulf FW-200. ca 96 Seiten, DIN A4, zahlr. Farb u. s/w Fotos.

I have no connection to the seller, publishers or authors.
Ed

George Hopp
28th June 2005, 06:43
The two books by Held would appear to be reprints, both the titles and the page numbers being the same as for the original printings.

And, Steinhoff's two books are also almost certainly reprints-- the first one concerns the fighter pilots' mutiny in the last days of the war (I can't remember the title just now), and the 2nd has the English title "Straits of Messina."

If you haven't read these books, they were well worth getting, but they have been out before.

Sergio Luis dos Santos
28th June 2005, 14:55
Well, since John Vasco´s title ins´t "secret" for now... Worth mentioning color profiles by Fernando Estanislau.

Both Held titles looks reprint as well as Kurowski. I have both Steinhof books in English. Interesting reading.

Primoz
28th June 2005, 15:24
The two books by Held would appear to be reprints, both the titles and the page numbers being the same as for the original printings.

And, Steinhoff's two books are also almost certainly reprints-- the first one concerns the fighter pilots' mutiny in the last days of the war (I can't remember the title just now), and the 2nd has the English title "Straits of Messina."

If you haven't read these books, they were well worth getting, but they have been out before.

Yes, indeed. All books described as "Sonderausgabe" (special edition) seem to be (cheaper) reprints.

Jim P.
28th June 2005, 15:44
The Kurowski book on Marseille is probably the German version of the volume from Schiffer - which quite frankly bites. Get the Wübbe volume on Marseille instead.

nick de carteret
29th June 2005, 04:31

The first one was titled 'The Last Chance' in English and was originally published by Hutchinson in 1977.

Nick Beale
29th June 2005, 14:12
And "Luftwaffe Colours: Kampfflieger volume 4" is actually by me rather than Richard Smith and Eddie Creek.

Jochen Prien
29th June 2005, 14:25
Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Luftwaffe 1934 - 1945, Vol. 9 / I by Jochen Prien et al. will be out by mid July 2005, to be followed by parts II and III - hopefully - in October and December 2005 respectively. Vol. 9/I deals with the Winter War in the East, 1941 / 42 and will comprise some 430 pages, some 340 photos ( appr. 100 in colour ), maps, line drawings etc. as usual.

Work on Vol. 10 - Home Defense 1943 - is progressing steadily, so that we are planning to present this in mid 2006 latest; as far as can be seen up to now it will also have to be divided into two parts.

Jochen Prien

FRANCESCO M LENTINI
29th June 2005, 18:57
The second Steinhoff's book also published with the title "Messerschmitts over Sicily" by N&A The Nautical & Aviation Publishing Company of America 1987, and the first with the title "The final hours" idem 1985.

Francesco Maria Lentini

Richard T. Eger
30th June 2005, 06:30
Dear Fellow Researchers,

I, too, received the Christian-Schmidt catalog. It seems more cheaply printed than in the past and the Luftwaffe offerings are meager and, as has been pointed out, many are retreads. I hope this isn't a signal that Christian-Schmidt is going downhill, but it certainly gave me pause.

Ditto with the offerings of Zenith Books, which hasn't had anything of significance in ages. It's a far cry from when I used to get their catalog and it was chock full of goodies.

Regards,
Richard

Sergio Luis dos Santos
30th June 2005, 14:53
Dear Fellow Researchers,

I, too, received the Christian-Schmidt catalog. It seems more cheaply printed than in the past and the Luftwaffe offerings are meager and, as has been pointed out, many are retreads. I hope this isn't a signal that Christian-Schmidt is going downhill, but it certainly gave me pause.

Ditto with the offerings of Zenith Books, which hasn't had anything of significance in ages. It's a far cry from when I used to get their catalog and it was chock full of goodies.

Regards,
Richard

Richard,
I guess the decrease of new titles reflects the impact of internet pages and also lack of hot new material. Most publishers won´t invest a lot of money in a book with well know material. Also the fact that internet provided a fast way to find information and photos is also a challenge to publishers. How many times just released books are offered for download or their contents quickly posted in a "specialized" page??
This not occurs only with Luftwaffe subjects. One of authors I have gave support is Dan Hagerdorn, well know for his books on Latin American aviation. At last three books he wrote are waiting release for a long time, one of them on the T-6, if I remember correctly, is waiting printing for over two years. Hikoki one about Latin American wars is also very delayed. Dan had a long letter published in Small Air Forces Observer some months ago about this challenge and impact on publishing houses.
The new approach on publishing rights, with increasing prices, some of them prohibitive for a small publishing house or a title with little "impact" and potential selling of X books also counts. When rights for photos is high it impacts in the final price very hardly and it must be sold a very high number of books to reduce costs for each one.
I´m facing this challenge in the Fw-58 book. Some people ask no fees, other ones a fair pricing but other aks a high price for each photo. If we be unable to reduce those costs chances to use the photos are very low.
That´s my opinion.

edwest
2nd July 2005, 05:16
Dear Richard and fellow researchers,

Just a reminder that Christian Schmidt can get any German language Luftwaffe related book in print.

I too, get the Zenith Books catalog, but as noted in the catalog, they are now offering more titles online at http://www.zenithpress.com (http://www.zenithpress.com/)

Then there is this bookseller who has an interesting mix of offerings: http://www.specialtypress.com (http://www.specialtypress.com/)

And the little known Aberdeen, this link goes right to their Luftwaffe section. Give it a few minutes to load and scroll down, since book covers do not appear until a little further down from the top: http://www.aberdeenbookstore.com/luftwaffe.htm

And for new and old titles, there's always http://www.aeroplanebooks.com (http://www.aeroplanebooks.com/)

Regards,
Ed

Richard T. Eger
4th July 2005, 05:55
Dear Ed,

I do get the Zenith Books e-mails. I'm getting to the poiint of "Why bother?", as the offerings are pitiful.

As for Christian-Schmidt being able to order any book I might want, there still is a difference in having a catalog full of offerings and just a handful. The catalogs frequently are where one learns of new offerings in the first place. Anyway, it sends a definite signal in my book that things must be on the decline.

Specialty Press does a nice job and also is the North American distributor of Classic Books.

No word back from Aeroplane Books, one way or the other, on a magazine I wanted. That's not good follow-up. As you know, they changed hands.

AvUsk Nebraska bellied-up.

Aberdeen Bookstore has a large selection, although much of it is old and the Luftwaffe isn't as heavily represented as I would like to see. Still, a good representation.

Regards,
Richard

fsbofk
4th July 2005, 07:53
I have had good service from Roll Models at http://www.rollmodels.net/standard/catalog.htm Although selling mostly model kits and supplies, they also sell books from a lot of major publishers, including Classic Aviation, Albatros Publications, Eagle Editions, Hikoki, Luftwaffe im Focus, Osprey, Schiffer, Specialty Press, and others. If you know what you're looking for (they don't have details on the titles), it's worth shopping there.

Uncle Sam
26th May 2007, 06:23
The Kurowski book on Marseille is probably the German version of the volume from Schiffer - which quite frankly bites.

In what way? I found it to be informative and well written.

Steinhoff's memoir has also recently been reprinted by Stackpole.

K

krichter33
27th May 2007, 07:06
I'd like to get a copy of Wubbe's Marseille book, but I can't find one anywhere. I've been looking for a long time. Does anyone know where I can find one.

Uncle Sam
27th May 2007, 11:32
Krichter,

Is Wubbe's bio in English or German, and is it more detailed than Kurowski's? eg any more photographs, information?

K

krichter33
28th May 2007, 08:00
It's in German, and a lot more detailed. Also has hundreds more photos...