PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes Over Tobruk

John Beaman
6th July 2005, 19:56
Can someone comment of the contents of Brian Cull's Hurricanes Over Tobruk? Is it mostly first-person accounts or does it include a diary type format with claims and losses?

Thanks

Håkan
6th July 2005, 22:25
Hello,

The book is very similar to Cull’s other ”type books” (Spitfires over Sicily, Hurricanes over Malta etc.). However since most books that covers this period (mostly Fighters over Desert) starts to get somewhat dated it covers some new info (especially Italian) so I think this together with “Spitfires over Sicily” is the ones to have of his “type books” (I have all five).

Hopes this is to some help.

Best wishes/Håkan

Ruy Horta
6th July 2005, 22:56
I find these books to compliment the standard Shores & Co books rather well.

More personal and of course with special focus on the title subject.

Combined they often provide a more detailed picture.

Mirek Wawrzynski
7th July 2005, 10:34
Hi

Quite big input to this book given Don Mitenre too, who had written a history/diary of 73 Squadron (1939-1980 or so). So this is co-operative book when Cull had bigg support from the second very good author (deeply resarcher) focused only on 73. Sqn RAF + Nicola Malizia - Italina side.
Books is cross-checkd from several points this way, which is very good but the Allied side is dominant. There are given some insght form pilots point of view.
(I have HC over Tobruk and 2 volumes of Dan Miterne, which is a diary of 73. Squadron - vol. 2, 3).

HC over Tobruk if I am right can be obtained on a bargin price in Middland book store. This makes this book more valuable for buyer. :-)

Reagrds
Mirek W

John Beaman
7th July 2005, 15:22
Thanks to everyone for the comments!

Jim P.
7th July 2005, 16:07
Wonderful book - also contains one of the funnier airwar tales I've ever read - I think it was from the first RAF 'bombing' raid on Italian base.

roberto
17th July 2005, 18:57
It's a good book there're news around italian aerial victories at least , in Fighters over Desert nothing about!!!!