PDA

View Full Version : Me German a/c loss night 16/17 September 1944 ?

Wim de Meester
16th January 2010, 17:46
During that night 18 Mosquitoes of 219, 409 and 410 Sqn (85 Group) carried out patrols over the Dutch islands. One crew of 410 reported an unidentified a/c diving into the sea off the Dutch Islands (and claimed it destroyed).

Can anyone shed some light to this possible crash ? I couldn't trace anything that would confirm this claim and so I don't exclude the possibility of a premature V-1 crash (from German point of view of course).

All information derived from Daily Log 2 TAF

mhuxt
16th January 2010, 21:38
Might be friendly fire - 487 Squadron Mossie failed to return from strafing barges in the Scheldt estuary on the same night, apparently lost around the same time as the claim.

Brian
16th January 2010, 21:54
Hi guys

Are either of you able to elaborate, please?

Cheers
Brian

mhuxt
16th January 2010, 21:57
Will do Brian, "wife ack" in effect currently!

Will post later.

mhuxt
16th January 2010, 22:46
Hi Brian,

I suppose this may also have been along the lines of:

"Where the hell did he go?"

"Dunno, must have hit the sea."

Anwyay, loss information from Shores & Thomas excellent 2nd TAF series is: Mosquito FB.VI NS979 EG-E of 487 Squadron, time around 0130, ftr from the Schelde. F/L G.W. Brown and F/O R.A. Fuller both killed.

Foreman's Fighter Command War Diaries Volume 5 provides the information that the aircraft was lost strafing barges in the Schelde.

"A History of 410 Squadron" (available on the net in pdf format) says: "Edinger and Vaessen destroyed an unidentified aircraft in a most unusual manner over Walcheren Island. While patrolling west of Antwerp, they were vectored to the north to intercept some "trade". A contact was picked up and, as the Mosquito closed in at 330 m.p.h., the target began very violent evasion, warned possibly by a rearward looking radar. Despite its antics, Edinger continued to close in, but could get no nearer than 1200 feet due to the hard turns to one side and the other. This desperate effort to escape was the enemy pilot's undoing. In his turns he lost height to 600 feet at which point he began another hard turn to port, followed by an abrupt reverse turn in the other direction. Either he lost control or his aircraft did a high-speed stall, for it suddenly passed under the Mossie's wing and crashed into the sea."

An earlier book on 2nd TAF gives the time of this encounter as 01.50. Mosquito NF.30 MM743 of 410 Squadron, F/L Charles Emanuel "Pop" Edinger RCAF and F/O Charles Leo Vaessen RCAF.

Brian
17th January 2010, 11:56
Many thanks

Another to investigate.

Cheers
Brian

mhuxt
17th January 2010, 12:29
Hi Brian,

Probably so, especially as no Luftwaffe loss appears to match, to judge by what Wim has posted. Fuller rests in Driewegen, Brown is remembered on Runnymede, so a loss at sea is a possibility. However, I don't have the 410 Combat Report to compare locations, nor do I have any idea what the local flak defences had to say.

PM me about a couple of other possibles if you like.

Wim de Meester
18th January 2010, 14:46
Thank you all for the useful information. Very helpfull