PDA

View Full Version : Research soldier RAF

Marenne
30th March 2010, 13:07
Marenne (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/member.php?u=6122)
Hello my hoby is militaria and research WWII soldier inform research on Sgt EJMWhittle Bercheux is located 20 miles from my maisson Photo 3 to 28 you would have this picture or if you can send and I l I t sends the photo of the grave Whittle (fa405768@skynet.be mail)

Icare9
30th March 2010, 16:59
Bonjour!
Sgt Whittle was part of the three man crew of a Fairey Battle P2251, a single engine light bomber that was shot down in the early part of the War, 11th May 1940. His Squadron, No. 88 lost 4 aircraft that day.
You already have these details, as he is buried in your churchyard, but for other members of the Forum, these are his details:-
Name: WHITTLE, EDWARD JAMES MORTIMER
Initials: E J M
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
Unit Text: 88 Sqdn.
Date of Death: 11/05/1940
Service No: 563211
Additional information: Son of Frederick George Mortimer Whittle and May Whittle; husband of Phyllis Grace Whittle, of Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: South-eastern corner.
Cemetery: JUSERET (BERCHEUX) NEW COMMUNAL CEMETERY
The two other members of his crew were taken prisoner.
Airborne 09:45 from Mourmelon. Shot down between Vaux-sur-Sure and Bercheux (Luxembourg), two small towns on the Bastogne to Neufchateau road, Belgium.
Flight Lieutenant A.J. Madge (pilot) PoW; Sergeant E.J.M. Whittle (Observer/Navigator) Killed In Action; Corporal A.C. Collyer (gunner) PoW.
Cpl A.C. Collyer was interned in Camps 8B/L1, PoW No.13056.
F/L A.J. Madge in Camps L1/L3, PoW No.631

I'm sure your town has looked after his grave and I would like to thank all those people who have cared for the grave for his family. There also appear to be civilian deaths which may well be his parents and other members of his family in November 1940, but the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website is not working at this time.

I hope you can understand my information!
I do not quite understand what photos 2 to 28 means. If you have a photo of his grave, we would like to see it very much.
A bientot!

Marenne
30th March 2010, 22:01
To see the photo 3-28 Re markjsheppard photo 3-28 29 th March 2009 for the photo of the grave EJMWhittle I can tell you the emails it gives me your email address on fa405768@skynet.be (Ps excuse I must lead pc thank you to you)