PDA

View Full Version : A visit to France

John Beaman
23rd June 2010, 15:51
I recently made a 2-week visit to France: 5 days in Paris then down the Seine to Normandy and back.

In some quarters France has a reputation for not being very friendly to American tourists. Perhaps, but I must say that with two minor exceptions were treated with friendliness, courtesy, and help wherever we went and regardless of who we were dealing with. It was a great experience dealing with people.

Paris is Paris and I have a new appreciation for the beauty and culture of the city. The Metro and RER trains are fantastic and the US could learn a lot from how they are run. The only caution is traffic: there appear to be no speed limits on the boulevards! I noted the bullet marks in various buildings from the liberation in 1944.

Having studied Chartres in design school, a highlight of the trip for me was a visit. Until one sees it in person no photos or books can do justice to the majesty and size. A great experience. As for Versailles, if the king was spending that kind of money on such opulence while people were starving, no wonder there was a revolution!

When we were docked in Rouen, I saw the bridges and locations where the Germany army retreated in August 1944. Made a great comparison to the photos shown in ATB's Ruckmarsch.

All in all, we had a great time. Viva la France!

CJE
27th June 2010, 11:59
John,

That's a nice post. And thanks for that.
We are not too friendly with foreigners and I'm very sad about it.
Your appreciation about the Metro and RER leads me to think you went through the usual strike on both of them. Lucky boy!
Glad you enjoyed the trip anyway.

Chris

John Beaman
27th June 2010, 14:26
Yes, we were fortunate as we were in between the strikes! That was one of the two minor incidents I refered to. A ticket clerk was very rude and unhelpful. On the other hand, when we were having trouble figuring out how to get to Chartres, the ticket agent who did not speak a word of English went and got another ticket agent who was on break, but spoke English and we got it worked out. Now that's good customer service!

Nick Beale
30th June 2010, 09:53
IThe only caution is traffic: there appear to be no speed limits on the boulevards!

Just wait until you visit Brussels or Florence, then!

And Chris, we've never been troubled by a strike when visiting Paris but there's usally a major demonstration in streets. I admire the way you guys refuse to be pushed around!

JP Vieira
2nd July 2010, 16:58
I am planning a visit there perhaps next year: thanks for the post

nicoledc109
19th August 2010, 11:35
I recently made a 2-week visit to France: 5 days in Paris then down the Seine to Normandy and back.

In some quarters France has a reputation for not being very friendly to American tourists. Perhaps, but I must say that with two minor exceptions were treated with friendliness, courtesy, and help wherever we went and regardless of who we were dealing with. It was a great experience dealing with people.

Paris is Paris and I have a new appreciation for the beauty and culture of the city. The Metro and RER trains are fantastic and the US could learn a lot from how they are run. The only caution is traffic: there appear to be no speed limits on the boulevards! I noted the bullet marks in various buildings from the liberation in 1944.

Having studied Chartres in design school, a highlight of the trip for me was a visit. Until one sees it in person no photos or books can do justice to the majesty and size. A great experience. As for Versailles, if the king was spending that kind of money on such opulence while people were starving, no wonder there was a revolution!

When we were docked in Rouen, I saw the bridges and locations where the Germany army retreated in August 1944. Made a great comparison to the photos shown in ATB's Ruckmarsch.

All in all, we had a great time. Viva la France!
Thank you for the information

Ardmoreal
20th September 2010, 14:38
John-Next time you go its VIVE La France