PDA

View Full Version : Me 262 Production Log release date?

edwest
24th August 2005, 02:57
Does anyone have a firm date for the release of this book?

Ed

Dan O'Connell
24th August 2005, 05:24
Hi Ed, a couple weeks ago Classics told me it was finished up at the binders, and expected it to be available "in about 4 weeks". Take care, Dan

Von Alles
24th August 2005, 12:32
Hi,

on amazon.fr, a 1 or 2 weeks avaibility is annouced : rather optimistic, isn't ?
I am beginning to save money now, I can not follow the Luftwaffe edition book rate !!
Best regards,
Von Alles

Dan O'Connell
24th August 2005, 12:59
Thank you for your interest! :-) It was a LOT of work, I hope you will appreciate it, and learn as much from it as I did writing it :-) Dan

edwest
24th August 2005, 20:30
Thanks Dan. Looking forward to it.

Ed

olefebvre
26th August 2005, 15:48
I saw the book yesterday, definitely not for the faint of heart. It's a massive work, it clearly contains the best informations regarding every 262 known.

Part 1 covers every WkNr known with a text varying from half a page to just a few lines depending on the informations known about it. A good job has been done towards mentionning the sources which is definitely needed with such a work.

part 2 cover the unknown wknr mentionned in losses or through pictures or other documents. The amount of text being proportional to what is known about them.

It's a great reference document, featuring few pictures (most well known) and a massive listing of details of the a/c. Clearly it's not a book you buy expecting to read it from the beginning to the end, but it's a most needed reference to anyone interested in either the type or the Luftwaffe losses or a/c listings.

Good job Dan :)

I suggest you prepare some addenda/errate page on your site as it would be i think a nice addition.

George Hopp
26th August 2005, 16:31
Thank you for that description of the contents, Olivier. I had planned to ask for one because there is certainly no lack of books on the Me 262 already, and I was wondering how it differed from "The Me 262 combat diary." You have clarified that beautifully, thank you again.
George

Dan O'Connell
26th August 2005, 22:21
Dear Olefebvre (Oliver),

My first book review :-) Your kind words are greatly appreciated. I had two goals in this work, 1: to find just how many really were built (that work continues), and 2: to clear up the 60+ years of mythology we all see re-printed over and over again. If it's in the book, it's documented, mostly from original war time documents. Some of the findings are quite surprising.
We had a great number of photos to choose from, however there was just to much text to allow printing many. Although many of the photos are well known, they are correctly identified to the best of my ability. The gentlemen at Classics are true professionals, and to their credit, stuck with the text.
I hope you all learn from it, as much as I did in preparing it. Very best, Dan

Dan O'Connell
4th September 2005, 05:24
HI Ed, the book is available now. I got my copies a couple days ago.

edwest
5th September 2005, 20:02
Congratulations Dan. I'll be getting one soon.

Ed

Von Alles
8th September 2005, 21:26
I got my copy today.

Wow !! What a huge work ! Great !
It could be a kind of "Me 262" vol 5 !!
Thank you Dan.

Von Alles

Dan O'Connell
8th September 2005, 21:58
I'm very glad that you enjoy it! Thank you! Dan

Checkmate
9th September 2005, 19:46
I just read this thread, sounds like a great book and I'll be ordering one this weekend through Amazon. I just finished building a 1/6 scale Me-262 for radio control using two electric ducted fans. It's a great plane!! It will be interesting to see what info exists on the one I modeled.

Dan O'Connell
9th September 2005, 20:19
Which one did you build? Must be thrilling to see it fly.

Checkmate
9th September 2005, 21:09
Dan,

Mine is an AirWorld kit. I kept an "on line" diary here. http://home.stny.rr.com/mhanger/Me262.html

There are links to some video in the diary (look toward the bottom), but you can also just go to this directory and look them over.
http://jg14.com/video/

Dan O'Connell
9th September 2005, 23:08
Nice job, was interesting reading!

pstrany
11th September 2005, 20:39
Hi;

Anybody know of a bookseller Stateside that sells this book? So far I haven't been able to find a copy for sale.....

Eagerly waiting,
Paul

Dan O'Connell
12th September 2005, 02:24
I saw ads for it at Specialty Press and at the Stormbirds.com website. A Google search brought up quite a few others also.

John Beaman
12th September 2005, 02:53
Amazon USA also has it for sale.

George Hopp
14th September 2005, 03:41
Just got the book today. One thing that impressed me, even on the initial scan, was the use of sources for each entry. And, another quicky comment is just how few of the many 262s built seem to have seen combat.

An impressive job, Dan.

Dan O'Connell
14th September 2005, 08:43
George, thank you for those kind words. It was extremely important to me to document everything, I spent to much time/work on this to have anything dismissed. Sadly, only >1/3< of the documents I used are noted. But please be assured, the content was almost entirely from primary sources, i.e. Flugbuch, and numerous RLM/Messerschmitt etc documents.

I actually havn't put the numbers together to see what % were actually in combat, perhaps one of the readers will, it will be VERY interesting to see. Very best, Dan

robert_schulte
14th September 2005, 10:24
According to Ian Allan's bookshop, less than 20 % saw combat.

Rabe Anton
14th September 2005, 17:28
Gruß Gott Dan!

Does Me 262 Production Log exist in a cloth edition?

RA

George Hopp
14th September 2005, 17:34
I notice that the ad for the book called it a paperback, but I got a hardback. Don't know if that's what you're referring to, Jim.

Rabe Anton
14th September 2005, 19:19
Hey George!

The only binding option for Log that I could find in the Amazon advert was "paperback." I want CLOTH!!! Bewildered that you ordered "paper" but got a hardback? How can we trust this will happen? :-( Chime in here, Dan!!!

RA

Ruy Horta
14th September 2005, 19:41
I have only seen Hard Cover copies, not the first time that Amazon makes a mistake. Just check the ISBN to be certain.

Dan O'Connell
14th September 2005, 23:44
It is HARD back, NOT soft :-) Dan

George Hopp
15th September 2005, 02:25
I think you're pretty safe when you order the book, Jim, because I don't think there are any softcovers of the book out there. Is that what you meant, Dan?

Dan O'Connell
15th September 2005, 03:21
Yes George, the ads are wrong, ALL copies are hard bound.

DaveM2
7th October 2005, 12:45
I have just received a copy of this book for review in the next edition of 'Classic Wings' magazine here in N.Z. and would like to say this is an EPIC work of dedication and determination on Dan's part. If you have ANY serious interest in this pioneering fighter the book is a MUST!

regards
Dave

Dan O'Connell
8th October 2005, 04:03
Now you've got me blushing :-) Thank you Dave!

Richard T. Eger
10th October 2005, 04:10
Overall, this is an excellent work, but then again, I must admit to a bit of bias due to my heavy involvement in its gestation. Without a doubt, this work exceeds anything ever attempted before along this vein on a Luftwaffe aircraft, i.e., to the best of my knowledge, although aircraft with far fewer production numbers, say, for instance, the Do 24, may have been covered as well.

Because of Chevron’s status as an editing organization, rather than as a publisher, profit constraints have dictated that a book not exceed 224 pages. At the same time, Dan was absolutely insistent that the text dealing with the specific aircraft, as well as the references, remain intact. That has been done. What remains is a very tightly presented book with very, very little free space. Pictures have been limited, although the book would have benefited by more, but it was the information, not the photos, that was of prime importance. Somewhat to my surprise, Eddie Creek was able to compile the references in 2-1/2 pages. Even in this, it appears that he saved a page by dove-tailing them in with the 1-1/2 page Glossary and Abbreviations, which may explain the unusual location for the references, as these would normally be at the rear of a book. Pictures of those supporting this work, were also skipped, again apparently to save space for the text. As one can see by referring to page 224, the book is crammed to the very end. Also, in contrast to Chevron’s usual liberal use of blank space, a flip through the pages of this book shows that none was allowed, save for the Contents and Preface. That’s it, folks. The purchaser has definitely gotten his money’s worth.

In a 3-way working arrangement among Dan, Manfred Boehme and myself, Manfred and I supplied a great deal of material for the book. Ironically, Manfred provided much of his explanations in English, whereas my material, much of it obtained through the NASM’s archives, was in German. Dan, who is not all that fluent in German, spent laborious hours – thousands of them – toiling through the process of translating tidbits of information from many, many original German documents. As Dan notes, others also were of great help with the book. It was, in the end, up to him to make the contacts to pull all of this together, then spend the thousands of hours needed to pull this off. Just read any of the larger aircraft text examples and realize that every single line presented had to be teased out of a source or supplied perhaps a bit easier in English. This work is the result of a single-minded obsession. I’m not sure anyone will ever attempt something like this again.

Eddie Creek, too, is to be credited with his tight editing. I marvel at the amount of information that Eddie was able to "stuff" onto page 13, some of which I supplied in tabular form, along with the footnotes. Never before have the Stammkennzeichen been listed for the Me 262’s. How Dan pulled that off, I still don’t understand. One regret I do have as a result of the space limitation was that the original 5-page planned Werknummer list for Augsburg administered Me 262 production and the single-page planned Werknummer list for Regensburg administered Me 262 (Me 609) production could not have been presented. This latter, also, is not really well-defined in the book, so here it is in more specific detail:

Baulos - Aufteilung Me 609, Regensburg, 11.8.44.

The discovery of the code designation Me 609 was one of those Eureka moments for me at the NASM’s Garber archives. It opened the door to a number of additional documents. Digressing a bit, it appears that the code "709" was used at Kahla, but, alas, no documents on this have yet to be found at Garber.

Okay, enough of the "good stuff". Here are some points on specific things presented in the book:

Page 9: The Glossary heading "Other" could have gone on for many pages.

Page 12: I am left to wonder as to the source of the map at the bottom of the page.

Page 20: No date is given for the 258th flight of the Me 262 V8. I see the incident Dan reports in Erprobungsbericht Nr. 50, 28.9-16.10.44, but no date.

Page 22: I think the Me 262 V10 was used to test the need for ammunition heating. It was also used to test external fuel tanks.

I read through the first 10 prototypes and was impressed with the detail. However, to avoid presenting a completely lopsided history with too much on the prototypes, Dan elected to cut a bit short on some of the testing that had been done with these aircraft. The reader can find more details in the 4-volume Smith & Creek Me 262 opus.

Page 131: The photo was taken at the Scheppach (Burgau) Waldwerk.

Page 139: This photo, too, was taken at the Scheppach (Burgau) Waldwerk.

Page 145: Photo credit should ultimately go to a Mr. L. Slattery, who donated the photo to the Air Force Museum.

Page 156: This would have been a good place to present the Baulos - Aufteilung Me 609 Werknummer table, or at least provided some description of it.

Page 176: Photo credit should ultimately go to Rocky Kyle, who was kind enough to provide me a copy of it in 1999.

Page 183: The explanation that the numbers presented might be Kahla sequence production numbers lacks a critical piece of clarification: The numbers presented were found in Fw. Ernst Büchner’s Flugbuch and were listed only by the last 4 numbers. The prefix 10 or 11 is pretty much conjecture. Manfred Jurleit, in his book Strahljäger Me 262 im Einsatz, added the 10, whereas another ferry pilot, Gerhardt Mittelstädt, showed 3 different Werknummern beginning with 11 in his Flugbuch.

Page 200: The photos were taken at Stauffen, a Waldwerk near Obertraubling airfield.

Page 206: I concur that the photo was taken at Giebelstadt airfield. The aircraft is W.Nr. 110748.

Page 221: The top photo was taken at Stauffen, a Waldwerk near Obertraubling airfield. The location, at least as far as I know, of the bottom photo has not been determined, although it could well be at Leipheim. I would love to have this confirmed. Leipheim, however, is not in the Czech Protectorate.

Page 223: Per Les Avions Allemands aux Couleurs Francaises, Tome II, p. 40, this photo is of a postwar French Me 262 being refurbished to flight status by SNCASO. The person who supplied the photo is a Col. Marchand.

Page 224: The top photo was taken at Stauffen, a Waldwerk near Obertraubling airfield.

Regards,
Richard

Dan O'Connell
10th October 2005, 04:29
Thank you for the kind words Richard, it's appreciated, along with the incredible help you gave me over these many years! Dan

Dan O'Connell
30th October 2005, 12:41
I'm curious if any one in North America has received a copy yet?

leonventer
30th October 2005, 21:37
Hi Dan,

Got my hardcover copy last month for $50 via an Amazon Marketplace purchase. Thanks for the unique and invaluable resource!

For anyone else wanting to skip the 5-month wait for the softcover edition, just do this:
- go to www.amazon.co.uk
- search for "262 production log"
- click on the "Used & New" or "More Buying Choices" links
- at the present time, two of the listed sellers ship from the US, so shipping is just $3.49 to the lower 48.

Regards,
Leon Venter

edwest
30th October 2005, 23:01
The book is not yet available in the U.S. to my knowledge. Specialty Press has it listed for availability in November so I will order one on Monday.

The beauty of the internet is that one can offer errata for download. In one of the Classic series of books on the Me-262, about four lines of text had been left out. They offered the missing text on their web site, I printed it off and slipped it into the book at the page in question.

And thank you, Richard, for all of that information.

Regards,
Ed West

Dan O'Connell
30th October 2005, 23:40
Thank you Leon and Ed. My research will never stop, so as I continue to find new information I will eventually put together an errata section some where. So far I havn't seen any glaring errors in the published version.

robert_schulte
31st October 2005, 09:23
I'd like to add one tiny error :)
On page 12 the airfields Achmer and Hopsten are mixed up (I am living near Achmer). However, great stuff!
Regards
Robert

Dan O'Connell
31st October 2005, 10:48
Thank you Robert.....I really am not omnipotent ;-) I'll fix that in my data base. Dan

Jaap Woortman
31st October 2005, 13:25
I have not read it all but found till now two, I think, typo's.

Page 215. 19/05 (second from the top) baleing must be baling or bailing?
Page 194. Date 26/10 in between all 26/11.

Jaap

Vince Malfara
4th November 2005, 04:51
Hi Dan.

Congratulations on this project. An excellent follow up to the Werk Nummer Resource Center.
It is being advertised in Canada at Chapters for $95.00 CDN plus applicable taxes. I do look forward to seeing it once it arrives on the shelf. At that price I'll have to wait just a bit longer to purchase my copy.:-)
Keep up the great work.

Vince...

Dan O'Connell
4th November 2005, 09:57
Vince, thank you. I'm sorry it is so expensive in Canada, but I have no control over that. I hate to sound like a commercial here, but I do believe it will be a valuable reference for you, or any one else interested in the 262, or just those that are interested in the amazing things the Messerschmitt engineers accomplished. I hope you enjoy and learn from it. Very best, Dan

Dan O'Connell
4th November 2005, 11:03
Jaap you are correct. There were a few mistakes when they changed the manuscript from American English to UK English. "Bailed" ie bailed out of the aircraft (parachute), is how we would spell it here in the Colonies :-)

vzlion
4th November 2005, 17:23
Vince, go to Amazon.uk and look at their new and used dealers. One of them caimen.com has it listed as available. Caimen.com also has an outlet in Canada. Also The Strormbirds store www.stormbirds.com is suppose to have it by the middle of November. Both for less than 91CD. If you search Amazon us just search for Messerschmitt Me 262. If you use the full title it doesn't show up. HTH.
Walt

Vince Malfara
5th November 2005, 05:12
Thank you Walt. Good advise. I have been looking at different retailers and have seen a considerable drop.

Dan, I couldn't agree more that it is an invaluable resource. Thank you :-)

Patrick Brion
12th November 2005, 23:42
Dan,

Thank you for this "titans" work. I have already the 4 Volumes of the Me262. So, I surfed to my Belgian book website and ordered the book. I am really very keen on receiving it and hope to find an answer to my questions.

But, this must have been great work, so congratulations !

With kind regards from Brussels

Patrick

Dan O'Connell
13th November 2005, 04:25
Thank you for your nice words Patrick! :-) I hope your questions are answered in the book. Very best, Dan

vzlion
22nd November 2005, 00:10
Got my copy today, it's just AWESOME. Great work Dan.

Walt

Dan O'Connell
22nd November 2005, 01:42
Thank you Walt, and thank you for your input and friendship over the years! Take care, Dan

Richard T. Eger
11th December 2005, 05:20
Dear Fellow Luftwaffe Researchers,

I made an error in my earlier errata posting.

On page 206 of Dan's book, the aircraft illustrated is W.Nr. 110745, not 110748.

I'm sorry if this has caused some confusion.

Thanks to Walt Morgan for bringing this to my attention.

Regards,
Richard

Dan O'Connell
11th December 2005, 10:26
Thank you for that correction Richard, I appreciate it. Making corrections here. I've got a couple new WNr to add, perhaps Ruy can allow it here at TOCH? Very best, Dan