PDA

View Full Version : USAAF aircraft record card interpretation

markojeras
26th December 2004, 23:57
Have anybody researched coded entries in large USAAF aircraft record cards in second half of 1944 and 1945?

Best regards,

Marko

Paul
27th December 2004, 14:18
Marko,

What is it you're looking for ?

:) Paul

markojeras
28th December 2004, 22:28
Hi Paul!

In the first vertical bar there is a code N Y PE, than in second ASC and next PAO.

Do you have the meaning of this codes?

Best regards,

Marko

Paul
28th December 2004, 23:15
NY stands for New York but I can't find the other ones....Will check for it tomorrow, OK ?

Paul

Martin Gleeson
29th December 2004, 02:32
Hallo Marko,

I believe the PE stands for Port of Embarkation, which ties in nicely with New York.

The ASC is probably the US-based Air Service Command and not the AFSC (Air Force Service Command) in the ETO.

The PAO I will have to guess. It could be Prepared for Action Overseas or similar. I know of a POM, which stood for Prepared for Overseas Movement.

I again guess the cards you are looking at are for aircraft sent across the Atlantic as deck cargo on ships.

Hope this helps,

Martin Gleeson.

markojeras
30th December 2004, 17:45
After the PAO is PPJ90840RD than typ and serial number and 2365 6 26 4200

Now, the funny thing is that the the date of arrival? to Italy is the same as in PAO line, what is impossible.

OHAM stands for? (I know that it is for planes in Italy in 15th AF)

Best regards,

Marko

Paul
30th December 2004, 22:50
Marko,

OHAM is indeed the shipping code for the Fifteenth AF, Bari, Italy. According to the explanation I have the 'Dates of assignment/receipt in theater are indicated by 'R' and 'A' followed by date'....Could it read something like PADPELT or PAOPELT like my card ? Here it says PJ92793RD and the last number can't be a date !

Regards,

Paul