PDA

View Full Version : I./JG 2 in Italy: February-April 1944

Nick Beale
15th January 2005, 02:27
Tonight, I’ve added quite an extensive section to http://www.ghostbombers.com about I./JG 2’s deployment to Italy in early 1944. I’ve tried to match up the claims and losses on both sides and there seems to have been some conspicuous overclaiming, not least by one Ritterkreuzträger.
Sources include: RAF Wing and Squadron Operations Record Books and pilots’ sortie reports; daily intelligence/operations summaries of the Mediterranean Allied Air Forces; Ultra decrypts; signals intelligence data; prisoner of war interrogation reports.
There are still some gaps in the operational record to fill but I think that this is probably the most comprehensive account that’s been put together to date.

Don Pearson
15th January 2005, 02:49
Just skimmed through the article, need to remark that in the pilot listings you seem to have confused Siegfried Lemke with Wilhelm Lemke. As per Obermaier, Siegfried achieved approx. 70 victories, while Wilhelm achieved 131 with the RK-EL. He was killed in 1943 as Kommandeur of II./JG 3.

Otherwise very informative.

Don

Nick Beale
16th January 2005, 01:35
I've fixed the offending page. Pretty dumb mistake really.

kb
16th January 2005, 03:07
Nick, nice job. Siegfried Lemke was one hot pilot during his tour in southern France and Italy. I've been told he shot down post war US test pilot Bob Hoover (then serving with 52nd FG) in early Feb 1944 with a near 90' deflection shot.

Jim P.
17th January 2005, 15:21
Ludwig Hartmann? He shows up with 3./ and 4. Staffels before and after the Italy adventure. Also, I have his name in a couple of places as Ludwig-Fritz.