PDA

View Full Version : Cost of a scrap aircraft after WWII

Franz von Werra
13th February 2011, 09:13
I've read elsewhere on the web that many aircraft sitting around in scrapyards after WWII were often bought by farmers just for the fuel they contained, for the engine or for something else, e.g. the wiring. Does anyone know the cost of a surplus fighter (or bomber) airframe in the late 1940s??

As an update, I'll add that I have found out what follows on Wikipedia:

In 1947 the Royal Canadian Air Force put their P-40s up for sale at a price of $50.00 each. Mr. Fred Dyson purchased 35 P-40E Ms and Ns) and barged them from Vancouver to Seattle to sell. Numerous example of the RCAF fleet of P-40s were also purchased by farmers looking to strip the aircraft of hardware, which was in short supply after the war. These RCAF aircraft for the next 30 years would be preponderance of the remaining examples of the P-40 family.

Now I am still interested in the price of an Avro Lancaster, Lightning or Mitchell if anyone knows. And some info on a farmer's average wage would be of help too.

Pilot
13th February 2011, 16:19
I have read long time ago an article in this way and get info that one kilogram new made aluminum cost 0,5 USD while the kilogram of the airplane cost 1 USD. So that was not find economical to transport airplanes to the be recycled, so they go rather drop them in sea or dump them anywhere.

Franz von Werra
13th February 2011, 17:17
Hey those were entirely different times. Now I see that aluminium has been superseded by stainless steel in the production of soft drink cans: likely it has become a precious metal. It is time to drag all that junk from the sea floor and we will be rich!!
By the way, food poisoning from aluminium oxide could also be a reason for that.

Pilot
13th February 2011, 17:47
and we will be rich!!

Mo' money mo' problems

Franz von Werra
13th February 2011, 17:55
Mo' money mo' problems
No money mo' problems is also true. So I will be rich!!