PDA

View Full Version : Could this be a Pratt & Whitney R4360 part ?

gilles collaveri
13th December 2011, 20:27
Good evening all,

I found this part close to the crash site of an aircraft that was equipped with P&W R4360 engines.

It is quite a heavy part and I wonder if this could be - or not... - an engine component.

Thanks for your opinion, as usual.

GC

PS: marking is "EDCO 6 "

Andy Saunders
14th December 2011, 08:38
It looks to me like part of the inflation tube for a USAAF Mae West lifejacket.

Look here:

http://www.historicflyingclothing.com/viewitem.php?id=646

It is the metal part from the lifejacket to the rubber inflation tube. I am pretty sure of that.

gilles collaveri
14th December 2011, 09:15
very interesting track, Andy, but also weird since this aircraft in question was a test aircraft, flying only in the Toulouse area, so 99,99% sure they had no life vest on board..

So, this part may be coming from another source than the crash, something like somebody who lost this part in this area..

I keep on searching.

Best regards

Gilles

Christer Engdahl
14th December 2011, 09:38
To me, it looks like coming off an inner tube from a tyre/wheel, cap and all.

gilles collaveri
14th December 2011, 12:04
You are right !

I am sure that this is it.

Particularly the screw-unscrew cap /portion do look like a tyre one.

Then it was bent by the impact.

And the area where I found it is where the wheels were.

Thanks a lot !

Gilles

Bill Walker
14th December 2011, 13:58
The recovered part is different from the inflation tube shown in the life vest photo. The life vest tube has a bent pipe between the flat flange and the nut, the crash part has the nut adjacent to the flange, before the bent tube.

I agree it could well be off a tire. The bend could have been done at the factory, or in the crash.

gilles collaveri
14th December 2011, 17:04
I agree with you Bill,

I bet the bent is from the crash, and the marking "EDCO" reminds of a company doing pression gauges and similar components;

look at the picture attached: it does look very much like a tyre pressure item, don't you think ?

So, I would say 99,9% : tyre gauge..

Thanks all for your ideas.

GC