PDA

View Full Version : Unit that dropped Josef Jakobs

Howard_Barrett
15th December 2011, 15:28
Hello eveyone.

I am looking for information on the unit & possibly aircraft type that was involved in the dropping of Josef Jakobs on the night of 31st January/1st February 1941

The reason I am interested in this is due to my friendship with the farmer who owns Dovehouse farm where Jakobs landed and one of the men involved in his capture, Charles Baldock was my Nans cousin.

The farmer Stuart tells me the aircraft was a Ju88 but I personally do not believe this to be the case. I suspect a He111 flown by a unit that was possibly amalgamated into KG200 when formed later in the war.

Thank you in advance and I hope this is in the correct section. Apologies if not.

Howard

Nick Beale
15th December 2011, 18:38
I don't have any specific information on Jakobs but the predecessor to KG 200 was known as Gruppe Gartenfeld, after its commander. KG 200 was formed as such in February 1944 by the way.

P.S. I'm equally intrigued by the claim that Eddie Chapman (aka Zigzag) was dropped by a Focke-Wulf reconnaissance aircraft.

Howard_Barrett
16th December 2011, 09:55
Thank you for the reply Nick. I went on the assumption (possibly incorrectly) that his drop was in conjunction with a raid.

I shall continue the research then.

Thanks once again and I very much enjoy reading Ghostbombers.

Howard

Howard_Barrett
16th December 2011, 14:07
Hello.

I've just come back from Dovehouse farm as a series of programmes for National Geographic about the Tower of London are being made and in one episode a piece about Jakobs. I had a brief chat with the Historian Nigel West and he agreed that a Gartenfeld He-111 was used as the drop plane.

Jakobs was bound for London as a weather intelligence spy. Poor blighter was a bit out of his way and certainly had a reasonable walk to the nearest train station if he had landed without injury!.

Very interesting story.

Howard

Leendert
16th December 2011, 16:12
For other ones interested in this case, then perhaps this link may be helpful: http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/josef_jakobs.htm

Jakobs stated that the aircraft had taken off from Schiphol with a five men crew.

Regards,

Leendert