PDA

View Full Version : A question RE: Shore's 'Air War for Burma'

NickM
21st October 2005, 07:16
Hi guys:

First, I need to ask if this volume is a 'sequel' of sorts to the 'Bloody Shambles' series of books? Also, since the title of this book mentions Southeast Asia, does it include the research that Shores did in regards to the Spitfire Ops over Darwin in 1942-42?

thanks again!

NickM

Graham Boak
21st October 2005, 12:11
Yes to the first, no to the second.

Jim Oxley
21st October 2005, 12:21
If it's detail on Spitfire Ops in Northern Australia you are after then get your hands on 'Spitfires Over Darwin 1943' by Jim Grant. ISBN 0 646 23632 6.

Excellent book, marvellous photo's and rich in detail based on personal interviews, diaries and documents from the Australian War Museum. And the bonus is that Grant served with No.1 Fighter Wing during that period, as ground crew.

You won't find a more accurate (explodes many myths) and fascinating book on the subject.

Jukka Juutinen
21st October 2005, 15:36
Jim, does mr. Grantīs book have the personal accounts as is, i.e. e.g. like in Cullīs Buffaloes over Singapore?

Jim Oxley
22nd October 2005, 01:31
There are quite a few, which (I think) always makes for rivetting reading. Most take the form of personal accounts drawn from entries in diaries and letters to loved ones, less so from face to face interviews. Sadly not many veterens were alive when Grant first wrote the book in 1995.

The table of contents is as follows.

Forward
Location map, northern Australia
Map of North-western area
Background
The first four weeks
Raid 52: the Wing's First
Raid 53: The First Full Wing 'Op'
Raid 54: A Severe Reverse
Winter Comes - And Goes: The Millingimbi Raids
Raids 55, 56 & 57: We Earn Our Keep
Raid 58: The Dry
Raids 59 ,60 & 61: The 'Dry' Continues
Rais 62, 63 & 64: The Last
Epilogue
Appendix 1: Pranged By The Bloody Navy (W. Hardwick)
Appendix 2: A Bad Case Of Murply's Law (R. Williams)
Appendix 3: Fiery Exit (C. Duncan)
Appendix 4: Spitfire Mk.V Crashes In North-western Area
Honour Roll
Aircraft Losses/Claims By No. 1 Fighter Wing 1943
Index
Glossary Of Terms
Bibliography

Plus 54 excellent photo's.

George Hopp
25th October 2005, 23:34
The contents of Grant's book looks really great, but it appears to only cover 1943. Is there anything on attacks on Australia in 1942?

Jim Oxley
26th October 2005, 16:05
There are books that deal with the early Japanese attacks on Darwin in 1942 - but the Spitfires did not operate at that time. They only started in 1943.

In 1942 the defence of Darwin was in the hands on the USAAF. The 49th Fighter group was given the responsibility of that role, being equipped with the venerable P-40. An excellent book covering this period is "Protect and Avenge, The 49th Fighter Group In WWII', by S.W. Ferguson. Brilliant detail with superb photographs (and lots of 'em).

Brian
7th December 2005, 00:22
Hi guys

I was co-author of 'Bloody Shambles' Volume 1 and 2 but was not involved in 'Air War for Burma' (I didn't know it was being written! I wasn't invited to the party!) Nonetheless, it's worth a place on the bookshelf as a work of reference rather than an in depth account of air operations; unfortunately here are very few first-hand accounts. Regarding air operations over Northern Australia, I would like to advise those interested that Dennis Newton and I are currently working on 'Fighters over Darwin' 1942-45, which should hopefully be published by Grub Street in 2007. Apologies for the long wait. And yes, it will include first-hand accounts.

Cheers
Brian

NickM
7th December 2005, 04:35
Brian:

Cool, Dude...another of your works to add to my bookshelf!

NickM

Brian
7th December 2005, 12:01
Hi Nick and others

The last time I was called a Cool Dude was by my little granddaughter! But thanks anyway! Just one point - as an air historian/writer with 20+ books to my credit - I believe that bods like me who write about times before we were born and have no experience of being in the armed services, let alone a pilot - should be chroniclers of events that occurred and not judge and jury. That's just my opinion but one I have always observed. The reason I mention this is that American historian/author Dan Ford was highly critical of my 'Buffaloes over Singapore' because it was full of first-hand accounts (gathered over many years of painstaking research and dedication to seeking the truth) - and did not contain my personal opinions and cionclusions. I didn't respond to him at the time - but should he read this - hard cheese! I will continue my style and he can continue his! Fair dues! Here endeth the sermon. You may or may not agree with me - perhaps you'll let me know. I can take criticism (I hope!!)

Cheers
Brian

Ruy Horta
7th December 2005, 15:04
Brian wrote: reason I mention this is that American historian/author Dan Ford was highly critical of my 'Buffaloes over Singapore' because it was full of first-hand accounts (gathered over many years of painstaking research and dedication to seeking the truth) - and did not contain my personal opinions and conclusions. I didn't respond to him at the time - but should he read this - hard cheese! I will continue my style and he can continue his! Fair dues! Here endeth the sermon. You may or may not agree with me - perhaps you'll let me know. I can take criticism (I hope!!)

Dan Ford's own AVG book did go one step further in certain areas.

To me it illustrated obvious parallels with later US involvement in South East Asia, incl. the role / influence of Chennault. If correct, US involvement in China would probably have escalated to a war with Japan within a few years anyway. Now that sort of material would not appear in a more chronicle style history book. His book tries to stimulate critical thought, which IMHO is important (even if you do not agree).

The AVG was not a regular outfit and became a source of legend, as such it needs a more critical approach, call it an author who is prepared to be judge and jury, to give the subject any substance.

I do not agree with all of Ford's assessments, but overall his approach is as valued as a chronicle style book, but perhaps that extra step does give it more punch.

It all boils down to the old dilemma of recording versus judging.

My personal taste tends to prefer a healthy mix, where the author records without any judgement, until he reaches the end of his chronicle (or at the beginning) where he has room (or obligation) to to provide a framework, the glue which binds the chronicle, and conclusion (or introduction). If the subject needs a criticle appraisal, there may be a need to judge.

Just some thoughts, no critique!

Brian
7th December 2005, 21:31
Thanks Ruy - I couldn't have put it any better!

Cheers
Brian

NickM
8th December 2005, 06:25
Brian:

No worries! I am quite fond of Ford's book on the AVG but his style of writing is very different from the yours & the rest of the 'Grub Street Bunch'; what can I say? I like both ways of writing;

NickM

PS: Keep 'em coming!

Six Nifty .50s
9th December 2005, 05:04
First-hand accounts by pilots are vital and often contain useful information that will not be found elsewhere, even if certain perceptions of the moment, in the heat of battle, were sometimes inaccurate.

I'm about half way through Spitfires Over Malta and as you might expect, I took a special interest in Appendix VI which was a nice touch. I had no idea that so many Americans flew Spitfires from Malta in 1942! I managed to land a copy of 249 at War which is not easy to find here. Although I have not counted the total number that served in that unit, I was again surprised to see names of Americans that were previously unknown to me.

alex crawford
10th December 2005, 12:01
Hi Brian,

Excellent, I look forward to your new book. A quick glance at my library shows I have 9 of your previous books, all well researched and written.

Buffaloes over Singapore is my latest addition. It has a lot of info I diddn't know about, well done.

Alex