PDA

View Full Version : Final Wellington flight

BigWeeker
16th October 2012, 23:47
Although some sources quote MF628 (The RAF Museum's MkX aircraft) as making the final Wellington flight, on the 24th January 1955, I wonder, from a global perspective if that flight was indeed the last one.
Whilst perusing some old Air Britain Journals at the Brooklands Museum, I came across a couple of photographs of airworthy-looking French Air Force radio and navigation trainer Wellingtons, supposedly taken in Marrakech during 1955. They were LN374 and NC922. Is it possible they were still airworthy/flying at the time MF628 made the "final" Wellington flight??
Also, what about Wellington operated by the South African Air Force; were any of those still airworthy at that time?
Would be interested in any comments from our overseas experts....
regards
Andy Bigweeker

Steve Bond
13th November 2014, 16:40
Andy,

This is an old chestnut that I tried VERY hard to get to the bottom of for my new book 'Wimpy'. Sadly I was not able to confirm or deny these stories, not helped by the reluctance of French authorities to reply to all my appeals for information. I did get as far as obtaining a photograph of the last Wellington in service with its crew but needless to say, it was undated!

Steve Bond
13th November 2014, 16:41
P.S. Definitely not South African by the way, their last Wellingtons were retired in September 1945.