PDA

View Full Version : Lt. R.J. Twilton - 25-4-1919 - RAF 88 Squadron

Leendert
11th August 2014, 21:49
Further some 1919 accidents I saw that Lt. R.J. Twilton of 88 Squadron (Nivelles, Belgium) was killed on 25-4-1919 when his a/c nose-dived and struck ground at an undisclosed place.

Interestingly, as other occupant a certain Sgt. R. Guillard (Belgian Interpreter) is mentioned. Don't know if he survived or not...

My mystery: casualty card says "BF" as type of machine, presumably short for a Bristol F2B with which 88 Squadron flew at that time. But as serial C2649 is mentioned.
I gathered that this was a serial for an R.E. 8 instead? A typo on the card?

Thanks for info.

Regards,

Leendert

paulmcmillan
13th August 2014, 13:16
Leendart Sorry can't help but Air Britain are in process of publishing (sorry no idea of date) the Bristol Fighter File so mystery solved then Paul

Leendert
26th August 2014, 19:13
Paul,

Thanks for the update.

The Belgian occupant was also killed in the crash. Real name was Paul Gaillard, an artillery sergeant who was attached to the British troops at Nivelles as an interpreter.
The RAF filed a casualty card for him, but then under the name of Sgt. R. Guillard.

Regards,

Leendert

paulmcmillan
1st September 2014, 12:32
I have been contacted off board to say that the No.88 Sqn. Bristol F2b serial is E2649, and not C2649. many thanks to my correspondent