PDA

View Full Version : nightfighter M.Becker died

Peter Spoden
9th February 2006, 19:48
Martin Becker, IV NJG 6, passed away last night with 89 years. We called him Tino. He had 58 successes and claimed six 4-eng-bombers in the night 14/15 March 1945 and when out of ammunition he asked his radio-operator Johanssen to shoot three more with the rear-gun (KTB NJG 6).

Ehre seinem Andenken!

Sergio Luis dos Santos
9th February 2006, 19:56
Hi Peter, always hard to miss a friend.

JägerMarty
9th February 2006, 20:59
Sorry to hear that. Did he write much of his experiences? I'm sure he had a few and would have been very interesting.
Sad news.

Peter Spoden
9th February 2006, 21:30
I think David P. Williams is writing a book about this outstanding man. Maybe David can give us some hints here.

Peter

Martin Bull
9th February 2006, 23:41
I'm sorry to hear this news, Peter.

May 'Tino' Becker rest in peace.

David P. Williams
10th February 2006, 01:56
Martin Becker was an outstanding man, who i was fortunate enough to meet on numerous occassions whilst interviewing him for a biography i am writing about his life and career. Even though he had suffered with very poor health over the last 10 years he was still strong in spirit and with the aid of his close friend, Peter Spoden, we were able to conduct some very interesting interviews. He was lovingly cared for by his wonderful wife, Melitta, who nursed him on a daily basis and it was as a result of her love and devotion to him that he lived almost to be 90 years of age.
I believe that everyone who was fortunate enough to meet him will agree that he was an outstanding personality and his loss will be keenly felt through the avaition world. May his achievements long be remembered and i am relieved that he is finally at peace. God bless you 'Tino' and 'Horrido'

Frank Olynyk
10th February 2006, 04:32
Would it be possible to note where he died? (City, town, suburb, etc.; not the actual address, which is "too much detail"). The death notices and obituaries in Jagerblatt usually do not give the location.

Frank.

JägerMarty
10th February 2006, 10:33
I look forward to your book David, I saw him speak on a cpl of TV programs a while back and he came across as a fine & spirited fellow.

David P. Williams
11th February 2006, 18:23
Frank,

Martin Becker passed away in Oberneisen, south of Limburg.

Frank Olynyk
11th February 2006, 19:36
Thank you, David,

Frank.

Brettas
10th March 2006, 23:29
his is a very sad news.
The Warriors are us leaving
Becker with certainty will be flying in another place.

Eduardo Brettas
www.avesdobrasil.com.br (http://www.avesdobrasil.com.br)
www.tucanosdasamericas.com.br (http://www.tucanosdasamericas.com.br)
Bird in Brazil

Arthur 'Digger' Arculus
2nd April 2006, 04:18
Hello Peter,

Thanks for the information for my files.

very pleasing to see you are still around.

Cheers,
Digger.

Peter Spoden
2nd April 2006, 09:28
Hello "Old Digger"

nice to hear from you!

best regards to NZ and to my counterpart Jan Herbert ( 227 Squ Lancaster LM 259) from Heilbronn-battle 4.Dec 1944

Peter

AaronNZ
1st June 2006, 10:07
Hi,

You may all be interested to know that my relative was shot down by Martin Becker on the 14th/15th March 1945. I have researched my relatives story and have establised that Becker attacked him after he bombed the Lutzkendorf refinery. My relative was a pilot of a Lancaster bomber. He bailed out of the aircraft, only to die 3 days later from injuries recieved. I have sent a message to David advising him so he can get more details from me if he wishes.

best regards AaronNZ.

AaronNZ
1st June 2006, 10:23
Peter,

I am interested in your regards to Herbert of 227 Sqn, I have researched 227 squadron extensively as my relative flew with Herbert, and indeed they were both NZ pilots who were shot down over Germany. Sadly Ian Herbert sufferred a massive stroke last year, and Im not too sure if his health has improved since then. Happy to correspond with you further re this.

Best regards AaronNZ
PS I know Arthur Digger Arculas, a lovely man who helped me with my project.

Peter Spoden
1st June 2006, 18:09
Aaron,

many thanks for your message. Give my best wishes to Jan Herbert. He is a fine gentleman who showed bravery and chivalry during this night-battle over Heilbronn. When finding his target, the railway-station, covered with clouds, he decided not to bomb and made another run for exact bombing.
I met his flight-engineer Jim Hudson after the war.

I have a lot of respect for Jan.

Peter