PDA

View Full Version : Luftwaffe Losses in Austria booklet

Simon Schatz
17th February 2006, 18:44
Hi folkls,

because of the huge demands on infos about the book I decided to share it with all of you.
The booklet was published by my good friend Martin Handig (Ju 388 published by Aviatic) and his father Hans end 2005.

The softcoverbook has 164 pages and is in A4 landscape format.

Book starts with a introduction and notes on the used sources.

2. Part is a 115 !! pages long list of losses in Austria. (Don't ask me how many losses!)
They consists of: date, unit, Luftflotte, place, cause, aircraft type, W.Nr and tactical code, damage in %, crew and their fate, and source

3. Part is a picture section with 84 most unpublished pictures on planes with Austria context.

Booklet is completed by 2 colourprofiles (He 162 M34 and a Fw 190 A-9) I have done.

Here all necessary data:

öfh nachrichten Sonderband 30
Verluste der deutschen Luftwaffe in Österreich
September 1943 bis Mai 1945

Losses of the Luftwaffe in Austria
September 1943 to May 1945

Hans Handig und Mag. Martin Handig
ÖFH Österreichische Flugzeug Historiker

ISBN 3-200-00543-2

I have attached a preview of the cover and a order form. I'm sorry but ÖFH has no email. So if you want to order you have to write a classic letter on paper to W. Schroeder (adress see order form).

Nice Greetings from Vienna,
Simon

Jim P.
17th February 2006, 18:57
Do they accept Pay Pal or will the book be available through outlets such as Christian Schmidt?

Dénes Bernád
17th February 2006, 20:46
Thanks for pointing out the book to us.

Well, it looks like I will have to send cash in an envelope (35 USD).

George Hopp
17th February 2006, 23:19
If you need Euros, Dénes, just go to your local bank branch. If they don't have them on hand, they can have them for you the next day.

Dénes Bernád
18th February 2006, 03:18
That is correct, George; however, they charge about 5 dollars banking fee. Therefore, I'd be better off if I'd send dollars, cash, and assume te risk (unless they accept PayPal).

kaki3152
18th February 2006, 06:32
How much is the cost in US Dollars with postage to the US included?

BTW, I usually send cold cash in a registered envelope with enough paper to camouflage. None have failed to arrive so far.

Carlos

Laurent Rizzotti
18th February 2006, 11:53
It seems great ! Does the book cover both operationnal and training/auxiliary units, or only the first ones ?

And by the way, does it exist a similar book for losses before September 1943 that we (or at least I) didn't heard of before ?

Simon Schatz
18th February 2006, 13:15
Hi folks!

Try to answer some of your questions:

@Jim P.: I don't know if they accept Pay Pal. I'll try to get infos on that.

@kaki3152: As I read it on the form the shipping costs are 4 Euro = about 5 USD worldwide, but maybe that's a mistake on the form. I really don't know.

@Laurent Rizzotti: The book covers operationnal and training/auxiliary units, and there is no book about the losses before Sptember 1943.

Cheers, Simon

Boris Ciglic
18th February 2006, 15:57
Hello Simon,

does the book cover the losses in parts of Austria which are today in Slovenia?

Regards,
Boris

Simon Schatz
18th February 2006, 21:12
Boris!

Book only covers losses in the "Ostmark" (or Luftgau XVII (since July 1938 ))

Cheers, Simon

Dénes Bernád
23rd February 2006, 03:30
Today I sent to the address given in the pamphlet 40,00 CAD, cash, in an air mail envelope. Hopefully, it will arrive safely.

As soon as I'll receive the book, I'll post a short note here.

O.Menu
23rd February 2006, 18:44
I would like to do a bank transfer via BIC and IBAN but to who Hans or Martin ?

Simon Schatz
23rd February 2006, 20:06
Olivier!

check your email!

Cheers, Simon

PS: to all others: See the order form!!!! Bank account is owned by Walter Schroeder

David Pausey
28th February 2006, 22:30
Hi Simon

Could you tell me does this book cover all Lufwaffe losses in Austria including ground losses ?

Any info on a Day Ranger to Vienna by 605 Sqn RAF ON THE 7-10-44, 11-1-4 claimed on the ground.

Regards
David

Simon Schatz
28th February 2006, 23:41
Hi David!

It seems that no ground losses are included. I couldn't find infos to the dates you wrote.

Cheers, Simon

Simon Schatz
1st March 2006, 21:15
David!

Have to correct my last message. Ground losses are included, but non of yours are in the book, but that doesn't mean that there were no losses at these days. If you have more infos it would be great for the author.

Cheers, Simon

O.Menu
2nd March 2006, 19:49
Hi Simon,

So ok i understand Bank account is owned by Walter Schroeder. Thanks :)

May i know his bank's name?

David Pausey
4th March 2006, 20:36
Hi Simon

Cheers for the replay I have no info on any Luftwaffe losses for the Day Ranger to Vienna by 605 Sqn RAF on the 7-10-44. All I have is the Sqn ORB AND Combat report. Do you know of any Luftwaffe Ground losses due to RAF strafing attacks in Austria ?
Thanks
David

vzlion
6th March 2006, 16:52
Hi Simon,

Since one of the Me 262s from Innsbruck is pictured on the cover is it safe to assume that it along with the other 262s found there are also listed?
Is this also true of Salzburg? Thanks,

Walt

George Hopp
7th March 2006, 03:45
Poor Simon, soon you will need to publish a booklet to explain the contents of the booklet you are selling now.
By now my Euros should have arrived there and I hope to soon see my own copy of what sounds like an excellent booklet.
All the best,
George

Simon Schatz
7th March 2006, 07:56
Indeed George, hope you will get your copy as fast as possible.

I see there is a huge demand and interst on that subject, because nothing comparable was published before. But I'm not really in the position to answer all your questions, because I'm not the writer of that booklet. I just have done 2 colour artwork for it, and that's it.

I try to answer all your questions as good as I can, but if not, please show understanding.

To the Me 262 on the front cover. It's only one of serveral Me 262 pictures in that booklet. In the losses list just one Me 262 is listed (I./KG 54).

I have a preview for all of you showing the He 162 profile I have done for that booklet. It's also published on www.rlm.at (http://www.rlm.at) website. Go here to see and read more: http://www.rlm.at/start_e.htm?cont/profil12_e.htm&1

Nice Greetings from Vienna,
Simon

Dénes Bernád
16th March 2006, 00:30
Today I received my copy of the book. It's just what I've expected: pages and pages of detailed loss lists, spiced at the end with a few photos, printed on landscape format.
Despite what the authors' claim, many photos are known (to me). However, some appeare to be unpublished, indeed. Same for the listings, many loss data are taken from published sources, but many appear to be extracted from primary sources. Unfortunately (for me), not a single Hs 129 appears in the lists...
At the end, it was money well spent. As an added bonus, it would have been ideal if the authors would have offered an electronic format of the database - for a nominal extra cost - so the columns could be rearranged/sorted alphabetically/numerically.