PDA

View Full Version : My Article on the PZL P.37 'Los' in Rumanian Service

Dénes Bernád
3rd March 2006, 22:19
The first installment of my three-part series of articles on the PZL P.37 'Los' in Rumanian service has been published in the current issue of Skrzydlata Polska (Poland), under the title, 'The Unloved Elk' (or similar):
http://www.altair.com.pl/sp_arch/sp_index.htm (http://www.altair.com.pl/sp_arch/sp_index.htm)

Here is the scan of the article's first page (courtesy of Woj):

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/1676/sparticlelos1small8ae.jpg

George Hopp
7th March 2006, 04:39
I'm sure it is an excellent article. I'm just sorry that I will not be able to read the sucker.

Dénes Bernád
8th March 2006, 03:34
Thank you, George, for the kind words.
The extended version of the study will be published in Poland, in a bilingual Polish-English book dealing with the bomber type. More details on the book later on, as they will become available.
This year suppose to be a good one for me, publicationwise...

Mirek Wawrzynski
9th March 2006, 12:18
Hi
Yes nice story indeed a lot of work and data - congratulation (as for P.24 story), but the beginning is less fortunate, which for Poles is not clear and corret with our modern history and Polish style of language too (maybe it was translator's error?).

So the first sentences
"W drugiej dekadzie wrzesnia 1939, polskie wojska, wojsk naciskane z zachodu przez Niemców i ze wschodu przez Rsjan zostały bardzo osłabione. W konsekwencji (....) przekraczanie granicy z Rumunia (...). Is not correct with history and style of Polish language.
Second dacade IX 1939 means time betwen 10 and 19 IX as for me.

Simple, the Soviet invasion (Russians' "knife in the back" - nóż w plecy) on 17 IX 1939 was the main reason for our army to cross borders of Rumania, Hungary, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia (a few planes).
In this time our army was exhausted and all aviation forces were ordered to be concentrated on South-Eastern part of Poland (near the border with Russia), waiting for supplay/delivery from France and GB (via Constanca) of new mailitary equippment (including planes). German had smashed most of our armies on the West in the first 14 days of war.
Can you put the first sentences in English to see the "orginal" of your stroy?

Regards,

Mirek Wawrzyński

Dénes Bernád
12th March 2006, 22:25
Mr. Wawrzyński,

In view of your unprovoked, vicious personal attack against me, on another military forum - despite of helping your research in the past - I am very reluctant to engage in any discussion with you. However, because other people might be also interested in this topic, I fulfill your request.

Here is how my study on the P.37 'Los' bomber originally looked like (in English):

By mid-September 1939, the Polish Army, caught in a deadly pincer by the Germans advancing from West, and the Soviets pushing from East, was practically crushed. As a consequence, the first elements of the Polish Army started to cross the border into Rumania – country considered by the Poles as friendly state despite its strict neutral status. In the night of 17/18 September, the Polish President and members of the Government took refuge in Rumania, carrying with them the entire gold stock of the Bank of Poland, being followed by the bulk of the armed forces that escaped capture.

Together with the Polish army, a significant number of Lotnictwo Wojskowewarplanes and trainers, as well as civilian airplanes, landed on Rumanian soil. These airplanes landed mostly in Northern Bessarabia, close to the Polish border, particularly on the airfield of the region’s capital city Cernăuţi (Czerniowce). Among the over 250 military and civilian aircraft that sought refuge in Rumania were significant number of modern and elegant P.Z.L. P.37 twin-engine bombers. Of all metal construction and capable of over 400 km/h top speed, the "Los" was considered the chez-d'oeuvre of the Polish aviation industry of those times.

Mirek Wawrzynski
16th March 2006, 08:41
Hi
thanks for the English version, sorry but translation is not precise and not exactly what you wanted to write/supplay. :-(

It has slight other meaning than English text. Polish one does not exactly fit with our past. This is important because all is on the begining. Text is in these sentences rather radiculus and not proper for me in our style of Polish language. This is creative mind of translator.
Polish version is not exactly right and proper job from English one.

PS
Denes - relax
I do not remeber about my any fourius attack on you, if you thinking about AR or ARR thing, this is not so as you think. I like to have thing clear, especialy if concerning fundamental thing as name for aviation. This is not right forum to futher talking. I am sustain to agree with George Cicos and you have also many rights to have your opinion, but "law is a law".

ironrat
23rd January 2007, 22:30
Mirek wrote:
"It has slight other meaning than English text"

I would say it's an understatement. The text provided by Denes was more than edited.

Denes,
I have a question. Would it be possible to get the English original text of your article from Skrzydlata Polska. I would like to read it in original and also to compare it with its translated and published version. If it's possible?

Ironrat

Dénes Bernád
24th January 2007, 21:14
Hello,

Since my Polish knowledge is next to nothing, except for "Polak, Węgier, dwa bratanki, i do szabli, i do szklanki." (i.e., Poles and Hungarians are like two brothers, they fight and drink together), I cannot control how they translate my text.

Since my article had been published in the Polish SP Magazine, AJ-Press published an exhaustive book on the topic, where my complete and updated story is included (see topic above). You can read it there, hopefully properly translated.

ironrat
24th January 2007, 23:52
You meant something like :Lengel Magyar ketto jobarat, egyutt issza meg a borat? (I hope this is correct.)
I have your article from SP and I also acquired the AJ-Press book. Didn't have yet the time to read it.

As I said, it would be an opportunity to check, for the future, the quality of translations in some of the SP published articles. To what extent trust those translations. Based on excerpts published in this thread, I'm having some doubts.
Anyway, thank you.

Ironrat
PS. By the way. The remains of a P-37 downed over Poland the 04/09/39 were recovered at the end of 2006.