PDA

View Full Version : Need help about Austrian Air Force Fw-58s.

Sergio Luis dos Santos
3rd February 2005, 19:30
I´d like to get some information about colors - light gray or silver? - and markings. Did a search on net using Google but no luck. Do not remember to have seen various photos on my books.
This info is to help a review of Commando5 resin/multi media Focke-Wulf Fw-58 C model in 1/72.
Thanks in advance.

Tony Jones
3rd February 2005, 23:26
In the book "Stormbird" by Herman Buchner there is a photo of Austrian Airforce Fw 58 serial number 302, the caption says "apparantly finished in German light grey paint overall, with the red and white Austrian cockades"

Tony Jones
3rd February 2005, 23:26
In the book "Stormbird" by Herman Buchner there is a photo of Austrian Airforce Fw 58 serial number 302, the caption says "apparantly finished in German light grey paint overall, with the red and white Austrian cockades"

Yves Marino
4th February 2005, 04:02
Hi Sergio!
Take a look at this colour profiles:
http://wp.scn.ru/camms/archive/ww2_others/0001/index.shtml?70
http://www.luftarchiv.de/flugzeuge/focke-wulf/fw58.htm
The pre-war Austrian Airforce existed only between 1935 and 1938. In March 1938 after the "Anschluss" Austria became a part of the 3-th Reich. So the new Austrian military airplanes were delivered in the years '35-'37.
The colour is RLM 63 (LICHTGRAU).
I think Austria received Fw 58B not C.
By the wat the brazilian Fw 58 were also grey, aren't they? Was this the original RLM colour?
You can try and search the www. again with the german word for Austrian AirForce: Österreichische Luftstreitkräfte.
Have fun!

Horst Kube
4th February 2005, 07:26
Hi Sergio, Yves is right. Austria received the Fw B versions. I sent you a photo of the Fw 58 B, Dienstnummer 302 (service number) to your private mailbox, because I am involved in selling a special Fw photo CD.

All the best, Horst

Sergio Luis dos Santos
4th February 2005, 11:26
Tony. I do not have this book, it was lost on mail and never arrived my home (Barry Ketley sent me an autographed copy as a gift...)

Yves. I had found those profiles and photos. I´m just trying to confirm the correct colors so I wouldn´t put incorrect information. There is some confuse information about the colors of the Weihe in Brasil. It´s believed the first batch got a greenish gray color (RLM02 or RLM62 ??) but photos do not confirm this. The second batch got a silver color. From the photos I have sometimes some planes looks to have a darker color but still can´t confirm they were gray or not. To my knowledgement there are no surviving documents. Interior color is reporded to be also in a greenish gray color, possibly RLM02. After their use on Brazilian Navy, they were flying on Brazilian Air Force and they got gray finish.

Horst. The photo arrived fine and is of good help. Thanks

The history of the Weihe in Brasil (military service) can be seen on "História da Força Aérea Brasileira" web page at: http://www.rudnei.cunha.nom.br/FAB/br/ Choose English, then Aircraft and Patrol.