PDA

View Full Version : Als Schlachtflieger im Einsatz, Werner Zirus (Band 2)

Ruy Horta
12th April 2006, 13:10
Its time for my anual question.

Any news on:

Als Schlachtflieger im Einsatz
(Band 2)
By Werner Zirus

Band 1 was published in 1998 by a Rumanian publisher - Editura Modelism - and I always thought it was rather good. The end of Part 1 held great promise for Part 2, unfortunately 8 years later and we've yet to see Werner's story continued.

Is Werner Zirus still alive, are there still plans for Band 2, perhaps a restart (Kurt Braatz perhaps)?

Nick Beale
12th April 2006, 21:24
I'm pretty sure that Zirus died a couple of years ago.

I'd like to have seen a "Band 2" as well.

Del Davis
12th April 2006, 22:18
I made this same query to the publisher about 3 years ago. I received a message back from JL Roba via Eric Mombeek that they had never proceeded with volume 2 of the project. No reason was given but if Zirus has died then that would certainly have been an impediment to completing it.

Ruy Horta
13th April 2006, 20:24
Through PM I have learned that Werner Zirus is still alive, that's all I feel at liberty to share.

Erik Mombeeck
16th April 2006, 13:04
Hello to everybody,

I just spoke with Jean-Louis about your posts. I agree with you, and consider this vol. 1 as very interesting and original. I am sorry that the volume 2 was never completed. Werner Zirus is a very interesting and nice man (fortunately he is still with us). He too would like to see his book completed by this long awaited volume 2.

He wrote his memories but they are not publishable in their original form, they must be reworked. A friend of us did it for the volume 1, but he does not have time now to go further with this project.
If there is on this board a German enthusiast who would like to work on this volume 2, Jean-Louis Roba, the publisher of vol. 1, would be happy to consider it.
Feel free to contact me if you are interested, I would forward your message to Jean-Louis:
eric.mombeek@village.uunet.be

best regards

Eric

Boandlgramer
17th April 2006, 10:41
i am a "German" enthusiast, :)
but not a professionell writer, and i guess, the latter is much more important.

Dénes Bernád
17th April 2006, 22:38
i am a "German" enthusiast, :)
but not a professionell writer, and i guess, the latter is much more important.
Boandlgramer, most authors who write about the Luftwaffe (and, generally, about various air forces during the war) are not professional writers. Most don't aspire to win a Pulitzer prize, either. Therefore, I wouldn't be discouraged by the fact that I don't have a specialized degree.

And why did you put German in quotation marks?

Boandlgramer
18th April 2006, 10:45
why did you put German in quotation marks?

because i feel much more to be a Bavarian ;) .

Ruy Horta
18th April 2006, 11:27
Always thought Boandlgramer was a funny name. Still think it has a nice ring to it, but the actual meaning is pretty grim. For those who are Bavarian impared, here's a nice PDF-document with translations into German:

http://www.br-online.de/land-und-leute/thema/bayerisches-wort/schnipsel/bayerisches_wort.pdf

From BR-Online.de, there is also an online dictionary:

http://www.br-online.de/land-und-leute/thema/bayerisches-wort/worte.xml

Never know, it might come in handy for your research!

Stig Jarlevik
18th April 2006, 18:25
Hi All

For those of us or perhaps only me (!!), who obviously has missed vol 1, can anyone enlighten me as to the contents of this book? Is it about the units and contains day by day missions, losses etc?

Cheers
Stig

FalkeEins
18th April 2006, 19:27
104 page A4 soft cover memoir of Werner Zirus - ( 90 pages German text, 14 in French ) covers the period to August 1943 when the author flew his first twenty or so combat sorties with I./SG2 in Africa and Italy ...

Stig Jarlevik
18th April 2006, 19:56
Thanks Falke

Appreciated. Do you know we have a beer in Sweden called Falcon? At least the Brewery insist they are number one...;)

Cheers
Stig

NoNo01
20th May 2009, 02:18
Hello all,

while looking for a book in my small library i ran into my copy of "Als Schlachtflieger im Einsatz ; Teil 1".
I wonder if there are any news about a continuation of Werner Zirus´s memoirs??
I hope he is still with us!?
Any news?

Norbert

Morten Jessen
20th May 2009, 21:35
Hi Norbert

I visited Hr. Zirus a month ago and as far as I know he is still with us. I have visited him twice the past five months and he is still "up 'n running".

He is writing on his memoirs at the moment, but I have not inquired about any details. I will post more information after my next visit, which should be sometime later this summer or autumn.

All the best
Morten

NoNo01
21st May 2009, 11:51
Hallo Morten,

good news after all.
So we can hope Hr.Zirus will surprise us with his story sometime in the future.
Maybe You adress him that there are a couple of guys realy interested in the experiences he made, and happy to hear more of him.

All the best

Norbert

O.Menu
11th July 2013, 19:15
Hello to everybody,

I just spoke with Jean-Louis about your posts. I agree with you, and consider this vol. 1 as very interesting and original. I am sorry that the volume 2 was never completed. Werner Zirus is a very interesting and nice man (fortunately he is still with us). He too would like to see his book completed by this long awaited volume 2.

He wrote his memories but they are not publishable in their original form, they must be reworked. A friend of us did it for the volume 1, but he does not have time now to go further with this project.
If there is on this board a German enthusiast who would like to work on this volume 2, Jean-Louis Roba, the publisher of vol. 1, would be happy to consider it.
Feel free to contact me if you are interested, I would forward your message to Jean-Louis:
eric.mombeek@village.uunet.be

best regards

Eric

Hi all!

Do any of us knows anything about Vol 2 that must cover his I./SG10 adventures?

Cheers, Olivier