PDA

View Full Version : Reviews for one more: "Il-2/Il-10"/Gordon&Komi

Jukka Juutinen
7th February 2005, 03:31
This was published by Crowood.

Jason
22nd February 2005, 06:05
I've got it and I like it except that it lacks the operational data that I want so desperately. The authors quote from Soviet pilots and researchers as to the its "true value". It does provide performance data from different batches of aircraft which is helpful since the common designations of the Il-2 models are incorrect. Apparently they were all just Il-2s, differentiated only by serial number. I was surprised to see that a great many two-seaters were field conversions.

I wasn't disappointed with the book, but you shouldn't buy it unless you're quite interested in the aircraft.

Jason

Jukka Juutinen
23rd February 2005, 18:08
Thanks! I am looking for a techincal reference, not an operational one. I have heard that the book has no cutaways, sectioned drawings, manual drawings or perfromace curves so I might as well skip it.

Jukka

Jason
28th February 2005, 18:45
Jukka,
You've misread me; it's much more of a technical history than an operational one. That said, it does lack cutaways, sectioned and manual drawings and performance curves so I don't know if it's detailed enough for your needs. But I can't recall any English-language book on Soviet aircraft that has what you'd like except Mikhail Maslov's amazing new book on the SB-2. And Soviet aircraft have been an enduring fascination of mine so I've got most of the English-language books available.

Jason

Dick Powers
28th February 2005, 19:35
I got my copy a week so so back. After browsing, But little reading, here are my initial impressions.

Of course the presentation is typical for Crowood. Large size, about 200 pages, good, paper with reasonably reproduced photos.

The book discusses the development of attack aircraft in the Soviet Union from the 20’s on. Of course the bulk is on the Sturmovik family including Il-2, Il-10 and Il-16.

Drawings are minimal. Only one three view, I think, it is small, maybe 1/8th page. A few line profiles are given to illustrate differences between the various sub-types. Again, these are small, maybe 5cm long,

Aircraft physical and performance data is presented for several sub-types. This data must have been developed from actual test data, as the c/n of the subject aircraft is included. Data includes weights, speeds, climb rates, range, and similar information.

Approximately 36 color profiles are included, of Il-2 and Il-10 variants. The profiles are good quality, if a little too pristine.

One appendix describes the many sub-types produced or field modified.

The photos seem evenly split between factory and test aircraft and service aircraft.