PDA

View Full Version : The National Archives

Sean Welch
1st April 2020, 18:17
Free access to the Digital Collections promised by TNA!

They hope that this service can be made available as soon as possible.

This refers to collections that are available on their website that are usually chargeable.

SteveR
1st April 2020, 19:19
Does this mean, for example, that ORBs will be able to be downloaded for free without the watermark?

Mihai Pica
2nd April 2020, 09:28
Although there is a small percentage that is digitized this is still good news !

Steve Coates
3rd April 2020, 12:57
Thanks for this. Could be very helpful.

jonny956
4th April 2020, 10:08
I'm struggling to find any further news on this. Has anyone actually seen anything in writing from TNA? I can find no trace an announcement on their website.
Many thanks in advance
Jonny

phasselgren
5th April 2020, 19:05
You can find information on Twitter.
Peter

Nick Beale
5th April 2020, 19:26
You can find information on Twitter.
Peter

But I couldn't see it on the TNA website.

phasselgren
5th April 2020, 21:08
So far it has only been mentioned on Twitter and Facebook. See more info on: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?25806-NA-(PRO)-trying-to-make-all-its-digitized-collections-free-to-access

Mark VIII
6th April 2020, 01:27
Hi Sorry to pop your bubble but the NA made a huge blunder organizing the didgital collection. I was there and found out after much work the index is totally wrong and will not bring up the material you hoped for. When I brought this problem to the NA's attention their reply was less than indifferent, they tried to kick me out for pointing out an error on their part. If you go on the web site you will be disappointed and overwhelmed. Sincerely Mark VIII

Mark VIII
6th April 2020, 02:00
Sorry to pop your bubble but the TNA's Digital collection was all indexed wrong! I mean way off. If you select the categorical numbers from the index you will not get the info you wanted. From an alphabetic view they are at least ten letters off. I was there and brought this to the attention of people in charge, and instead of getting a positive response they tried to kick me out for pointing out a fault! It is a large valuable archive, run by the worlds worst people.

Nick Beale
6th April 2020, 09:04
Sorry to pop your bubble but the TNA's Digital collection was all indexed wrong! I mean way off. If you select the categorical numbers from the index you will not get the info you wanted. From an alphabetic view they are at least ten letters off. I was there and brought this to the attention of people in charge, and instead of getting a positive response they tried to kick me out for pointing out a fault! It is a large valuable archive, run by the worlds worst people.

I can only say that your experience of TNA is completely the opposite of mine over 200+ visits in the last 35 years, and more recently with their online material.

AndreasB
6th April 2020, 14:46
Never had an issue either.

All the best

Andreas

Carsten Petersen
6th April 2020, 19:39
I always got a fantastic service at TNA - no problems with downloading either (and I have downloaded more than 35.000 files)
Carsten

Steve Coates
23rd April 2020, 16:08
Free downloads are up and running. maximum 50 files over next 30 days - maximum 10 at any one time. Seems to be working very well.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/news/digital-downloads/?fbclid=IwAR0fxVELjw0KZOmFQlln_QHrEqnPF3f8AtS9nlm5 oSb_MO5POWF-9tOrooc

dp_burke
25th April 2020, 15:59
The folks over at RAF Commands forum are on a downloading campaign

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?25806-NA-(PRO)-Free-Downloads-(Now-ACTIVE)-Spread-Sheet-Tracker&p=150241#post150241