PDA

View Full Version : "Angriffshöhe 4000" - Opinion needed

J.L.Santos Junior
24th February 2005, 21:58
Hi!
A friend gave me an old issue of "Angriffshöhe 4000" book (Cajus bakker) in portuguese and edited in 1971. So, I'd be glad to know any comments about this book.
TIA!
All the best!
J.L.Santos Junior

LWFlieger
25th February 2005, 04:59
Iread the English version of this book "Luftwaffe War Diaries" in 1971 and as my knowledge level has increased I conclude that its not a bad book at all. However it is based on the limited knowledge at that time. I don't think it has many errors in it but I would not consider it to be totally reliable. On the other hand it reads well and gives a good feel for the types of air operations conducted in those days. I would definitely recommend this book to those with an interest in the Luftwaffe, although it is a bit dated.

Rabe Anton
25th February 2005, 16:00
To LWFlieger's note I would add that Cajus Bekker's volume is one of those classic treatments of Luftwaffe history that one must know well in order to claim any knowledge of the GAF during World War II. As LWFlieger has rightly said, the book is now quite dated but is hardly out-of-date. Please also note that the contents are rather "lopsided," the first years of the war receiving much more treatment than ca. 1943 and later.
Despite all, a must-read if not a must-own book.

RA

J.L.Santos Junior
26th February 2005, 04:23
Many thanks for yours comments. I really apreciated.
All the best
J.L.Santos Junior

Christer Bergström
7th March 2005, 13:57
I don't agree that it is a a must-own book. There simply are far too many errors in this dated book (1963). Plus that it seems to be biased. I would rather recommend E. R. Hooton's "Eagle in Flames: The Fall of the Luftwaffe" (1997), which deals with the same subject, but with today's access to archive material and without any bias.

loreto
7th March 2005, 14:58
Júnior

I have this book, I believe that taking in consideration that this is of the decade of 60. I can say that it is a good book, of course can be I fail in some factors, taking in consideration the information of the time, but for who wants to obtain information on Luftwaffe, he is a valid and good book of reading.

All the best

Loreto