PDA

View Full Version : Signal / Signaal

Ruy Horta
9th March 2005, 23:27
Sometimes nice things can happen when you least expect them.

My mother-in-law telephoned that she dropping by to give some magazines. Of course we expected a number of the usual glossies when suddenly right there before my eyes was a bundle of Signaal magazines from 1940/41 (12 total) - the dutch variant of Signal, special edition of the Berliner Illustrirten Zeitung!!!

:shock:
:o
:)
:D

Boy oh boy, there is nothing nicer than living history!

Overal they are in a fair condition having been saved in an attic of a friend of her's. If I was intrested in more of similar pre-war and wartime material including music records - am I ever!!!

Cannot wait for what might turn up, I'll post the results.

Now a practical question.

What is the copyright situation on this type of material?

I'd love to scan a number of pictures and illustrations included to spice up future work.

Hawk-Eye
9th March 2005, 23:48
As far as I know there is no copyright left on official IIIrd Reich material including pictures of all kinds for this very state (Nazi Germany if you prefer) was destroyed and did not exist after 8 May 1945 any more, and its intellectual property (including patents! Think of all the aeronautical progress...) went to the Allies. I don't know if I am formulating this quite correctly.

In any case as far as I know there is no problem at all with Signal texts and pictures. Hooray! Show us your scans!

Photographs shot "privately" by individual German soldiers using their own private cameras are another matter. I think this is private property and copyright belonging to the PHOTOGRAPHER himself and his heirs until 70 years after his death. Possessing a print or a negative doesn't give you copyright ownership (only a corresponding contract does).

Ruy Horta
10th March 2005, 00:11
Thanks Yves for the insight.

Since it is mainly 1940 there is a lot of material on the French campaign, of course much of it is propaganda - even a fair share of photos - but some of it is good material.

Lot of color(ized?) shots as well.

Really happy with this batch, but also really exited about what may turn up (if it does, if it doesn't well I still owe the man a nice bottle of Jenever - dutch gin).

The text is mainly Nazi propaganda, there is one photo session showing French north-african POWs slaughtering a cow etc, used a method of showing racial inferior fighting on the side of the french.

OTOH there are Maginot line battle and post battle shots which are stunning. There was enough material that was new to be.

I might even try and translate a numbet of the articles and create a feature on my future website.

Franek Grabowski
10th March 2005, 00:24
I still owe the man a nice bottle of Jenever - dutch gin.

A soft drink for such a stuff? I think you can afford something better.

Anyway, I have seen on another forum a post that according to a service officer (I think it is the way he was callled), all the photos taken by a British servicemen are Crown Copyright regardless of circumstances they were taken and that the copyright expired. I am wondering if it applies to photos taken by press agencies at RAF airbases. Hmm.

odybvig
10th March 2005, 00:58
You will find pdf copies of Adler magazines on this site:

http://www.luftwaffe.no/adler/adler.htm

Best from Norway
www.luftwaffe.no