PDA

View Full Version : Picture Gallery

Ruy Horta
7th January 2007, 19:13
Friends,

It is a new year, so I am itching to get something new going.

Would you welcome the addition of a Image Gallery option?

vBulleting supports uploading images, but only to a certain extend. I'm looking at a commercial product that integrates with vBulletin, but before buying a licence I need to know if there is a real interest. It would be a shame if such a (albeit limited) investment were to be in vain.

Andy Fletcher
7th January 2007, 20:00
I think it's a good idea, though not necessarily vital to the continued existance of the forum. I'm not really into pictures but I'm sure there are many who would find the option useful.

Etienne
7th January 2007, 21:48
Great idea Ruy!.....Hope you get enough support.

Etienne.

Douglas Jr.
9th January 2007, 14:39
Friends,

It is a new year, so I am itching to get something new going.

Would you welcome the addition of a Image Gallery option?

vBulleting supports uploading images, but only to a certain extend. I'm looking at a commercial product that integrates with vBulletin, but before buying a licence I need to know if there is a real interest. It would be a shame if such a (albeit limited) investment were to be in vain.

The forum members also can host their pictures at http://img181.exs.cx/ . I use this site and it really works fine.

Douglas

Ruy Horta
10th January 2007, 13:22
Currently testing a package called vBGallery.

The good part is that I have managed to get the uploading part working, the bad part is that I am encountering some integrating issues.

With a little luck I'll have things running in a couple of weeks.

Ruy Horta
10th January 2007, 15:55
Decided to make it a double test.

1. upgrade of vBulletin to next version (3.6.4)
2. inclusion of vbGallery

The test is progressing nicely.

1. No issues, straight upgrade of test forum
2. Some issues with intergration with vBulletin.

As mentioned earlier it looks like the file upload system is great, once we figure out the best settings it will IMHO be a valuable addition to TOCH!

Hopefully the problems I am facing will be solved soon. I have the feeling that I am missing something obvious and minor. Finding it is something else.

:evil2:

Back to testing...

Ruy Horta
10th January 2007, 16:56
Update!

:whoa:

I've got the whole thing running as it should...

As I had suspected the problem was minor, but unfortunately not so obvious to find. It was actually unrelated to the new package and hence overlooked.

I'll be tweaking and making notes before committing to production - that is our live board.

Not much voting, but a rainy day and some luck makes up for a lot!

Ruy Horta
10th January 2007, 20:26
Open to suggestions on how you would like to have the gallery categorized.

I was thinking in terms of:

General
Luftwaffe & Axis
Fighters
Bombers
Reconnaissance
Transport
Other
Allied & Soviet
Fighters
Bombers
Reconnaissance
Transport
Other
etc etc etc
Campaign
Midway
Community
Duxford 2007
Unknown partsJust an idea, but perhaps you have something better, so please share your thoughts.

Adam
11th January 2007, 02:34
Ruy,

sounds good, the only thing would be perhaps - especially with the Luftwaffe - it might become confusing. Do the Jabo Staffeln get posted in the fighter, ground attack, bomber or what? Thus, maybe if the sub-categories are split along the lines of:

Single engined
Multi-engined
Sea
Other

Splitting hairs perhaps but that way aircraft of unknown or mis-identified units aren't wrongly posted in various sub-forums, thereby creating more work for the mods to remove and swap them into their proper forums once identities are known. Also, aircraft that served with frontline units then moved on to a training role, or vice versa don't have to be double posted if the specific date of the photograph is unknown.

Ruy Horta
11th January 2007, 19:48
Good suggestions, thanks Adam.

Again, it will be a community tool, so I need your input on this one.

Also, if you know of another site which you think sets an example, please point me in the direction and I'll take a look see.

Pilot
11th January 2007, 22:22
I have just vote but from my time I spent here I did not seen much screen size archive images displayed. Are you surer that there will be people interest to display material from their collection?

Ruy Horta
11th January 2007, 23:23
The gallery tool will come in handy, even if I only use it as a an alternative to the attachment option, which I will consequently limit (as it dramatically increases the forum size and subsequent back up work).

How people will use it otherwise is up to them.

Pilot
12th January 2007, 00:10
Suggestion- please allow watermark for the images at least on the bottom "Image hosted by...". Also it will be wellcome to allow comment on images but not additional image post.

Here is number of book authors and hope they will participate with material from their collection.

Ruy Horta
12th January 2007, 07:48
Indeed watermarking is going to be part of it.

Tools are flexible enough to create sub-categories with their own watermarking. I'm still looking at the best way to take this up.

One idea is limited space to the general user, extra space (based on ...) for selected users.

It also depends on popularity.

I can still up my storage capacity without incurring crippling cost, but will only do so when the need arises.

We'll see how it develops.

One thing important to many is that the impact on the forum in general is very low. What you know today will not change, there will be one additional "forum" based on images and that's it.

The inbuilt attachment system will remain, but I'll lower the limits to what it was when we first put up the forum. I will also clean up, remove some of the old material and see if some is worth moving to the new gallery.

Etienne
4th March 2007, 21:14
Hi Ruy,
What is happening with the picture gallery?

Regards,
Etienne.

P.S. Check at Falcon's site, Two very nice colour photo's of a 109 E5 !

Ruy Horta
4th March 2007, 23:06
Nothing really, all is ready just waiting for me to throw on the switch.

hihotte
8th March 2007, 12:43
Oh Yeah Etienne,

just for you the Werk Nummer of the E-5, you have mentioned, for further research. The photos were first published in Flug Revue Edition, Klassiker der Luftfahrt 4/03 and I think, they didnīt know what a little treasure they had published. This is only one of two Arado built E-5īs. Photos of E-5īs are generally rare, but this ones in colour are real crackers.

Cheers
hihotte

Etienne
22nd January 2008, 21:40
Ruy, Judging from the number of views of this thread, only producing 3.31% positive response, it looks like the chaps on this Forum is definitively not interested on a picture gallery.
WHAT A PITY!!!

But, one can hope cant we!

Cheers,
Etienne.

Ruy Horta
22nd January 2008, 22:24
Etienne,

The licence for one of the best packages has been acquired some time ago, it has been tested to some extend, but I've been to lazy, busy, otherwise occupied to really implement / integrate it with forum.

Ruy Horta
22nd January 2008, 22:24
Etienne,

The licence for one of the best packages has been acquired some time ago, it has been tested to some extend, but I've been to lazy, busy, otherwise occupied to really implement / integrate it with forum.