PDA

View Full Version : Naoshi Kanno

keith A
14th January 2007, 15:08
How many victories were scored by this pilot? I have seen claims for as low as 25, and as high as 48. I know records are scarce but once source claimed to have 25 verified from a total of 53! I have Genda's Blade but this doesn't put me much further forward because there a very few claims mentioned in the text for this pilot. His 30 claims with the original 343rd and the 201st a lot given the losses inflicted on these units in 1944.

Birgir Thorisson
14th January 2007, 17:32
Hi.

I guess you have Hata and Izawa. I have formed the habit of trying to read between the lines, because I have sensed (right or wrong) that they are very diplomatic in their statements. When they say curtly that his officially recognized total was 25, (but mention no higher scores), I read between the lines that they think (given the circumstances) that that total is at least generous.

Not much use but..

Birgir Thorisson

rldunn
14th January 2007, 23:01
For data on the credibility of claims by Kanno and his buntai as well as a famous incident regarding Kanno see

http://www.missingaircrew.com/yapsum.asp

see particularly the second half of the article (Final Battles) which specifically recounts events involving Kanno's Air Groupo 201 buntai

RLD

keith A
20th January 2007, 15:53
Thanks chaps. It definitely looks like propaganda overruled accuracy in this case. Looks as though Kanno's 25 is a bit optimistic, never mind 48! Genda's blade does back up the impression that claims were inflated.

Juha
22nd January 2007, 10:35
Thanks Rick
as always very interesting and well researched article.

Juha