PDA

View Full Version : old board

Pawel Burchard
27th March 2007, 14:56
is there a possibility of accessing and searching of previous incarnation of this board?

regards,
Pawel

leonventer
27th March 2007, 17:08
is there a possibility of accessing and searching of previous incarnation of this board?Hi Pawel,

Yes, a searchable archive of the old TOCH forum is in the works. It should be ready in a couple of months.

Leon Venter

Alex Smart
27th March 2007, 23:14
hi Leon,

The Archive below goes back to 2004.

Alex

leonventer
28th March 2007, 03:15
The Archive below goes back to 2004.Hi Alex,
When you refer to "The Archive below", do you mean this forum? If so, you're correct -- its contents date back to Dec 22, 2004, which is when it replaced the old TOCH forum (http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?disc=3051)

The archive I mentioned in my previous message will contain the postings made to the old TOCH from late 1998 to Dec 2004.

Regards,
Leon Venter

Rob Romero
24th January 2008, 05:07
What is the status of Archiving the Old TOCH Board?

Thanks

Rob Romero

leonventer
24th January 2008, 17:32
What is the status of Archiving the Old TOCH Board?Hi Rob,

I'll be making a searchable version of the archive available on the web in the next couple of months. It's just taking longer than expected because this past year was an especially busy one.

FYI, I archived approx. 95% of the postings on the old board from late 1998 until its demise in Dec 2004. That amounts to just over 60,000 postings in 14,000 threads in 6 years. (It's interesting that the old submission rate was very similar to that of the new Luftwaffe forum, i.e. 33,000 postings in 6,300 threads in 3 years.)

Regards,
Leon Venter

Rob Romero
25th January 2008, 01:08
Thank's Leon.

That's Great!

Just out of curiousity -what makes up the missing 5% -was it just that you felt certain posts/threads were too mundane, uninteresting, uninformative or unanswered? Or are we talking about some of the uhhmm -how do I put this- some of the more volotile threads? LOL

Rob Romero

leonventer
25th January 2008, 08:21
Hi Rob,
Just out of curiousity -what makes up the missing 5% -was it just that you felt certain posts/threads were too mundane, uninteresting, uninformative or unanswered?At first, when I was saving each post manually, I skipped most of the "contentless" messages, e.g. simple thank yous, requests for copies, off-topic posts, etc. In addition, I occasionally lost some posts because I didn't always have enough time to save them before they were purged (the old forum retained only the most recent 2000 posts.) A couple of years later, I automated the download process and from then on, all posts were saved.

Or are we talking about some of the uhhmm -how do I put this- some of the more volotile threads? LOLYes, we did have one or two profoundly psychotic individuals on the old board. I skipped some of their most repetitive and pointless rantings, but many of them were retained for your amusement.

Regards,
Leon Venter

kurlannaiskos
26th January 2008, 07:52
I skipped some of their most repetitive and pointless rantings, but many of them were retained for your amusement.

Regards,
Leon Venter

I was not a member then so I do not know how to search for this 'entertainment'
could you list it in a separate category or add some special marking?
(such as the bio-hazard logo or something like ***** )

Rob Romero
26th January 2008, 21:04
Leon,

we did have one or two profoundly psychotic individuals on the old board. I skipped some of their most repetitive and pointless rantings, but many of them were retained for your amusement.

For this we owe you an unending debt of gratitude!!!

Cheers,

Rob Romero