PDA

View Full Version : New book re 411 Spitfire pilot, escapologist

Brendan
28th March 2005, 11:51
I hope some of you might be interested in UNDER THE WIRE - a new book I've co-written with William 'Tex' Ash, a remarkable Spitfire pilot and escape artist, published this week in the UK, NZ and Australia by Bantam Press. There's another edition in US/Canada coming out later in the year.

Tex Ash lost his US citizenship to join the RAF (RCAF 411 Sqdn) while America was still neutral in 1940. He flew Spitfires in combat in 1941 and was shot down over France in 1942. He crash-landed and was helped by the French Resistance, eventually falling into the hands of the Gestapo in Paris where he was tortured for refusing to give away the names of his helpers.

He was then sent to a series of POW camps, including Stalag Luft III, made famous by The Great Escape. He helped to lead major tunnel breakouts in camps in Germany, Poland (Schubin) and Lithuania before finally escaping in the last days of the war. He was awarded the MBE for his escape activities and remained in Britain.

Sometimes very funny, sometimes heart-wrenching, Bill describes the humour and humanity that helped ordinary people achieve extraordinary things during the conflict that shaped our history.

I know some of you know first hand what a mighty task it is to get a book published these days and I would really appreciate you passing on details to anyone you think might be interested. Tex is one of the most decent and generous people I've ever met and it was my privilege to work with him on Under The Wire.

Further details available from www.underthewire.co.uk (http://www.underthewire.co.uk/)

Best regards,

Brendan Foley

Andy Mac
28th March 2005, 20:09
Brendan - excellent ! I am forwarding your email to my friends. (and buying the book!)

Brendan
1st May 2005, 22:33
Belated thanks, Andy. I'm delighted to say that Under the Wire has become a bit of a bestseller (for a hardback!). It has been great to see Tex Ash, a very modest and likeable guy, getting some of the recognition he deserves. As he put it, "I've discovered the secret of success - all you have to do is get shot down, dig a tunnel and then wait sixty years!".

Hope you enjoy the book.

Best,

brendan

www.underthewire.co.uk (http://www.underthewire.co.uk/)