Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Me 262 B3+AL Question (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=52005)

JonOlsen88 10th September 2018 15:10

Re: Me 262 B3+AL Question

[QUOTE
Interesting also that Cleas profile have the wings or just the engines in 81/82/76 and the fuselage in 74/75/76 with 83 over that.[/quote]

Yes, very interesting! Given the early production WN.r, the use of mid-war greys makes sense. While I am in love with that interpretation, I do think that the uppersurface base colors look rather dark and low-contrast. To my eyes, the tone of the squiggly mottle is somewhat darker than the base uppersurface colors, though not by much. This might suggest the use of RLM 81 (83?) and 71. Aesthetically, however, I much prefer Claes's interpretation. It's beautiful.

ouidjat 10th September 2018 17:55

Maybe the pictures are going to be published very soon and Claes did prepare a profile for that ...
Who knows ;)

Dan O'Connell 10th September 2018 18:13

If he would tell me his interpretation of what he sees, I may be able to track down the real WN. I have a sizeable data base. Thanks Jon!

FalkeEins 11th September 2018 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonOlsen88 (Post 257635)
Excellent question. I'm assuming Claes would have consulted with someone. Perhaps he got in touch with Jean Yves Lorant?

...they are old colleagues from the French edition of the JG 300 opus. So yes...

JonOlsen88 12th September 2018 09:55

So I sent Claes an email, and he kindly responded.

"Great to hear from a fellow enthusiast, especially one who enjoys my work.

To your question, the profile is well documented in a photo, perhaps you already have seen it on the net, however I have not access to the W.Nr. as Lorant, (the guy who bought the photo) has commissioned another artist for the publishing. The 170099 is just a qualified guess, as this machine is an early, originally gray painted Me 262.

And be sure I will publish this stunning profile in one of my planned profile books, however with the researched and correct W.Nr."

JonOlsen88 12th September 2018 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan O'Connell (Post 257646)
If he would tell me his interpretation of what he sees, I may be able to track down the real WN. I have a sizeable data base. Thanks Jon!

You're very welcome. :)

Jean-Yves Lorant 12th September 2018 12:27

Gentlemen,

Before the rumor becomes reality, a small correction: "The guy who bought the original photo" did not commission any artist to make a color profile of the Me 262 Anton Luise.

Claes Sundin's artwork is very nice but does not match with the real photo. Two important details are wrong and the Werk Nummer is fictive. The camouflage pattern is also an artist's view and we can not blame Claes who had only a bad eBay image as working basis and did nevertheless a great job.

The only progress compared to the first drawing is to have seen that the black letter L is the same size as the yellow A.

The photo will surely be published one of the days. Just be patient...

Regards
Jean-Yves Lorant

Dan O'Connell 12th September 2018 13:32

Jean-Yves, would you mind saying which of the WN numbers you can read? I may be able to track it down.

Jean-Yves Lorant 12th September 2018 15:56

Hi Dan,

The Werk Nummer digits are partially lost in the camouflage and in the grain of the photographic emulsion. Keep in mind that this photo is just 6 x 9 cm, imagine the importance of grain on such a small photo. There are barely three visible digits. Sorry - your attempt will be too speculative to be historically acceptable.

All the best
Jean-Yves lorant

JonOlsen88 12th September 2018 16:29

So three of the digits are visible. That's at least something. :) May we please know what they are?