Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lw-losses without enemy actions! (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=4587)

Ruy Horta 21st April 2006 07:10

Re: Lw-losses without enemy actions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andreas Brekken
I would be very surprised if this is not the case in the other fighter units also (the data I have already gathered points in that direction... will come back on this). So, a 40/60 split is realistic, thus a fair bit more than half the aircraft that were destroyed or damaged in the Luftwaffe fighter arm were in fact destroyed by the Luftwaffe themselves.....

It would be interesting to compare these numbers with other combatants, that would enable us to judge the results more effectively.

Also you mention take off and landing, but that doesn't differentiate between mechanical, weather or pilot error. In general take off and landing are still the most dangerous moment.

Now this isn't critique, it is great to see figures.

Andreas Brekken 21st April 2006 12:09

Hi, Ruy.

This is exactly one of the reasons I have established my database system.

All loss reasons in the database has several 'indexes' connected to it. In that way, as soon as a loss is entered, it will update the loss information.

For example:

The loss reasons listed below all are attributed on a second level to 'pilot error category', thus, when I want to I can take the grand total for the given unit and sort out the ones attributed to pilot error. Cool right??

Bedienungsfehler
Absturz inf.Bedienungsfehler
Bedienungsfehler b.Start
Bruchlandung inf.Bedienungsfehler
Bedienungsfehler b.Landung
Bruchldg.inf.Bedienungsfehler
Bedienungsfehler b.Rollen
Überschlag b.Landung inf.Bedienungsfehler
Bauchldg.inf.Bedienungsfehler
Notlandung inf.Bedienungsfehler
Bedienungsfehler b.Landung, abgestellter Bf 109 gerammt
Notldg.inf.Bedienungsfehler
Bauchlandung infolge Bedienungsfehler
Bauchlandung inf.Bedienungsfehler
Absturz inf.Bedienungsfehler (F.unverl.)
Bedienungsfehler bei Landung
beim Start ausgebrochen inf.Bedienungsfehler
Bedienungsfehler beim Start (F.unverl.)
Kopfstand inf.Bedienungsfehler
Bedienungsfehler b.Landg.
Bedienungsfehler beim Start
Bedienungsfehler bei Landung (F.unverl.)
Kopfstand b.Start inf.Bedienungsfehler
Baumberührung infolge Bedienungsfehler
Absturz infolge Bedienungsfehler
Bruchlandung infolge Bedienungsfehler
Bedienungsfehler bei Landung, Aufschlagbrand
Überschlag bei Landung infolge Bedienungsfehler
Explosion in der Luft infolge Bedienungsfehler
Absturz infolge Bedienungsfehler, Aufschlagbrand
Absturz in See infolge Bedienungsfehler
Bedienungsfehler (Besatzung unverletzt)
Absturz, vermutl.Bedienungsfehler
Absturz infolge Bedienungsfehler (F.unverletzt)
Fahrwerkschaden infolge Bedienungsfehler
Absturz, Aufschlagbrand, vermutl. Bedienungsfehler (Nicht feindbeobachtet)
Bei Landung infolge Bedienungsfehler ausgebrochen
Hindernisberührung bei Landung infolge Bedienungsfehler
Absturz infolge Bedienungsfehler (Besatzung unverletzt)
Unfreiwillige Bodenberührung infolge Bedienungsfehler
Bedienungsfehler (Nicht feindbeobachtet)
Bruchlandung infolge Bedienungsfehler (Nicht feindbeob.)
Bei Landung ausgebrochen infolge Bedienungsfehler
Beim Start ausgebrochen infolge Bedienungsfehler
Bedienungsfehler (F.unverletzt)
Notlandung infolge Bedienungsfehler
Bedienungsfehler bei Landung, Überschlag (Nicht feindbeobachtet)

this being a wholly relational system also gives us the possibility to do amongst other the following: Want to read the loss reason, location name, aircraft designation, personnel ranks etc etc in your native language? No problem.... I have included support for normalized german (you will see that some of the loss reasons above are the same, but just written in a different form, words in shorthand etc, this is corrected to normalized german for those that want a 'unified' look to the loss reasons), french, english, russian, norwegian, danish, swedish, finnish and spanish until now, and you can if you want to expand this into eternity... as long as someone care to do the translations.

Regards,
Andreas

Ruy Horta 21st April 2006 17:09

Very impressive indeed!

RT 22nd April 2006 23:28

Concerning the figures given by Andreas for the aircrafts "casualties", we arrive to a gross figure of 115.000, I hv in my own base, 90.000 entries, but is missing part of 1940 for the schools + polen is uncomplete +the whole 1944/at least 35.000-40.000, so for end of 1944, man could expect around 135.000 craft-casualties....

rt

Boandlgramer 23rd April 2006 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by RT
Concerning the figures given by Andreas for the aircrafts "casualties", we arrive to a gross figure of 115.000, I hv in my own base, 90.000 entries, but is missing part of 1940 for the schools + polen is uncomplete +the whole 1944/at least 35.000-40.000, so for end of 1944, man could expect around 135.000 craft-casualties....

rt

according to the book i quoted above :
The germans have built planes total : (including school) 113 515 AC between 1939 - 45

so its not possible according that book to lost "around" 135 000 . ;)

Also according the book
aircraft losses from september 39 till end of December 44. 71 965 AC (total and damaged more than 10 % ).

the year 1945 is missing.

Boandlgramer 23rd April 2006 11:42

AC production :

1939 = 2518
1940 = 10247
1941 = 12401
1942 = 15409
1943 = 24807
1944 = 40593
1945 = 7540

= total 113515 AC.
=
Bomber = 18 235
Jäger = 53729
Schlacht = 12359
Aufklärer = 6299
Seeflugzeuge = 1190
Transport = 3079
Kampf /Transportsegler = 3145
Verbindungsflugzeuge = 2549
Schulflugzeuge = 10942
Strahlflugzeuge = 1988

RT 23rd April 2006 13:55

Yes but the losses are quite there "written", to explain difference there are many explanation;
a plane could be damaged/lost many times
Luftwaffe used many foreign planes, mostly in school units
transport units quoted is a production of 3000 transport planes only the Ju52 gave 4000+ casualties without 1944..
Foreign countries appear in the losses/ rumänien, Ungarn, Italien very few../but they gen. flew german planes
Many planes lost during this period hv been built before 1939, mostly for the schools, nd from oct40 to sept 44, the losses for the schools are at least 18.000 strong with some gliders in,from jan 36 to aug.39 losses are 2.300 strong, not in the spanish conflict,...nd more to add

splitting between H/F Heimat/Feind, for 1941/1942 on roughtly 26.000 entries 27 % are H so 73 % F, but if all the H are accidents, some of the F could be also accidents, but during action.

rt

Marius 24th April 2006 00:04

I can give the losses of operational units for September 1939 (mainly Poland);

Accidents - without enemy fire - appr. 100 total losses ( damage 60-100% ).
Total losses to all causes - 303 aircraft.

This means that appr. 30% of all total losses were write offs after accidents.

Marius

Jens 24th April 2006 09:38

Luftwaffe documents of killed soldiers are not very relieable, if you read Overmans "Militärische Verluste". These documents were not doctored, but the Wehrmacht loss system was simply not very sufficent.
Therefore 430.000 KIA as a global number should be taken into account.

Also the system of the Luftwaffe aircraft reports has to be viewed with some scepticism. In Budrass "Flugzeugindustrie" is stated, that already before "Barbarossa" the statistices of damaged planes was lower by some thousand, compared to planes were repaired by industry in reality.

The high figures for non combat losses has IMHO also to be reviewed. One example:
Take this crash of Krupinski at 5.7.43.
Bf 109G-6 W.Nr. 20062 weiße 9 (80%) 7./J.G. 52
Krupinski, Oblt. Walter (RK) Injured, overturning on landing. (Flak?)
Ugrim/Belgorod F
by
http://www.lesbutler.ip3.co.uk/tony/...units/jg52.htm

Seems to be more a non-combat loss. As everybody know, Krupinski was already an ace in 1943. Look at Tollivers Hartmann book, there is stated, Krupinski had a hard fight with soviet fighters over the airfield and his 109 suffered hits at the rudder. So he tried an emergency landing and failed. For me this would be more a combat loss.

RT 24th April 2006 12:57

Concerning the Krupinski case, the loss is noted F, so with ennemy action, in the reports it's not stated if it is an accident or anything else, just if it's made during "action" or "einsatz" called "F" or not "H", then you could interprete the cause, if it is or it is not an accident,but to sort them takes more than 5 minutes necessary to split among H or F
Following the figures I gave for 1941/1942 the one for non-action losses "H" seems very high 27%, I re-checked nd based on 23686 entries the "H" branded losses amount to 6480, so a bit more than 27 %, for 1943 the figure is quite higher 30 % based on 25.000 losses, but with Erg.gr. nd Jgr.
without them /if we consider them as schools units/ we fall to 24.8 %

RT