Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Books and Magazines (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   KG 40 Combat History (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=62315)

Jim Oxley 19th July 2022 13:04

Re: KG 40 Combat History

Sign me up. :)

Jukka Juutinen 19th July 2022 19:07

What would be its style? A straight combat chronicle or would it feature verbatim personal accounts and describe non-combat life in the unit too (for example, issues like fighting spirit, disciplinary issues, personnel evaluations) ? For example, like Urbanke's Green Hearts or the JG 300 set?

Chris Goss 21st July 2022 12:09

Thanks all-quite promising for consideration.

Larry: I have asked around and it would appear that anything at BA/MA has probably been discovered but you never know and I bow to those with better knowledge.

Jukka: I am afraid that when I contacted aircrew 30 or so years ago, all that I asked was combat experiences and today regret that I (and others) did not ask more. The only exception was 1./JG 53 and at the reunions, they freely told me what it was like after missions, what they did, what they thought of various people hence the explanation of Kanalkrankheit etc etc. So in answer to your point, I am afraid the answer is no and in any case would have made the book a massive undertaking

Tempest 21st July 2022 12:42

I would be very interested and would definitely purchase a copy

Nick Beale 22nd July 2022 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen (Post 321285)
describe non-combat life in the unit too?

Jukka, if you are interested in that side of unit life then I really recommend downloading some RAF Squadrons' Operations Record Books (Summary of Events) from the National Archives (it's free at the moment). They differ unit-to-unit and it seems the diarists had a lot of freedom but for many the films shown and the football matches played seem to rank equal in importance to the fighting. In one sense this is amusing but it does all illustrate just how people dealt with service life, particularly when posted overseas for long periods.

Tomas Prusa 22nd July 2022 15:05

Count me in!

messcaster 22nd July 2022 15:22

I gladly purchase a copy too

Marcel van Heijkop 8th August 2022 15:20

Chris,

I would buy a book on bricks from you :) Count me in.

Best regards,

Marcel

James A Pratt III 9th August 2022 17:50

Count me in as well

Siko54 11th August 2022 16:48

I see Chandos publications has just announced on FB that they have signed two new books...one of which is a comprehensive history of KG40! Now I wonder who could possibly be the author......... ;)