Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1940 Hurricane loss photograph - France (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=29224)

ian hunt 9th June 2012 18:11

Re: 1940 Hurricane loss photograph - France

Hi Andy

Interesting picture. That Hurri looks in remarkably good condition - no damage to the upper prop tip; and from its tilted-forward angle perhaps the belly scoop wasn't even severely crushed as you'd expect. Makes me wonder if it could even have made a wheels-down landing on the sand?

Looking forward to finding out more as the details piece together bit by bit.

Ian

Andy Saunders 9th June 2012 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Boak (Post 149260)
There is at least one picture of a 607 Sq Hurricane with its winged lion on the white of the fin flash. I wonder just how common this was with RAuxAF units, as there seems to be at least three examples (the well-known Airacobras being the third).

The 601 Squadron Hurricanes of the early 1940 period had their red flying sword emblem under the chin and behind the prop spinner back-plate. Later in 1940 they, too, reverted to the squadron emblem on the white of the fin flash.

Larry Hickey 11th June 2012 18:09

Andy,

You asked for me to comment. I've got a large DB on a/c force-landed on French Beaches during 1940, but this one is new to me. Peter Cornwell is upgrading our entire EoE DB for May, 1940, as I write this, and I'm sure will give this his best shot. I don't have anything to add to the identification on this one.

Regards,

pfP7063 12th June 2012 04:29

Yes please! And thank you in advance.
A very nice shot. It looks like the pilot made wheels down landing.
Paul

Andy Saunders 13th June 2012 09:00

Thanks Larry.

I am already talking to Peter about this and he has a high-res copy which I am, of course, happy for him to share with you.

An interesting 'photo - in many respects!

Hurri600 16th June 2012 15:04

Have just found a letter which Pat Leeson sent me back in 1997, he was the Pilot of L2121.
He States
' I was flying as No 2 to Gerry Edge & shortly after reaching the coast of France, we ran into thick cloud & parted company fearing a collision. I then went down to ground level & ran straight into ground flak. The radiator was hit & 109's appeared so decided to land on my belly & was wounded when first flattening out'

So i believe to photo is not L2121 but more likely L2119 flown by N.Forbes.

Hope this is of Interest & help.
Iain

Andy Saunders 16th June 2012 21:58

Iain

Thats interesting! Many thanks.

However, why does this rule out L2121 do you think? Is it because he made no mention of landing on a beach?

Presumably both made a forced landing, and both POW.

Just a little unclear as to why you favour Forbes over Leeson. But it might just be me!!

Hurri600 17th June 2012 01:33

Hi Andy

My reasoning is only that he stated he bellylanded as opposed to a force landing.
However you are quite correct not a definite conclusion it could be just a choice of wording.
He came down near St Pol but i have no idea where this is in relation to the coast.
Also records mention as does the letter that Leeson was wounded, there appears to be no mention of Forbes being hurt and as there seems to be little visible damage to the aircraft.
However there could possibly be damage on the other side, not concrete evidence just my thoughts.
Iain

Buffnut453 17th June 2012 03:01

St.Pol Sur Mer is adjacent to Dunkirk (indeed, today, the two pretty much merge into into one urban sprawl). This, perhaps, suggests that Pat Leeson's aircraft is a contender for this photo?

Andy Saunders 17th June 2012 12:54

Indeed, although I think there are one or two other places called St Pol that could also be possible although the coastal location sounds good to me.

I am not sure I understand your rationale,Iain. Isn't a 'belly landing' exactly what we are looking at in this photograph?

I do agree, though, that there is little visible damage to point to pilot being wounded - but that could have resulted from no more than one, or two, holes that might well be invisible in a photo like this.

I think the jury is still out!