Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   FAA Korean war losses (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=34438)

James A Pratt III 27th June 2013 23:30

FAA Korean war losses

I just finished reading a book I got by inter library loan called "With the Carriers in Korea" by John R.L. Landsdown . It deals with RN and RAN carrier operations during the Korean War.. and has information on most/all the FAA aircraft losses during this period. They lost a lot more aircraft and aircrew than what were documented in Korwald. Just thought this would be of interest to you all.

Paul Thompson 28th June 2013 13:07

Re: FAA Korean war losses

Quote:

Originally Posted by James A Pratt III (Post 168748)
I just finished reading a book I got by inter library loan called "With the Carriers in Korea" by John R.L. Landsdown . It deals with RN and RAN carrier operations during the Korean War.. and has information on most/all the FAA aircraft losses during this period. They lost a lot more aircraft and aircrew than what were documented in Korwald. Just thought this would be of interest to you all.

Hello James,

Thank you for that information, that work fills an interesting gap. On the subject of Korwald's deficiencies, do you know of similar books which cover the losses RAAF and SAAF in the war? I've read books on this conflict from time to time and have always been surprised how incomplete and confused the loss figures are, 60 years after the war. On page 72 of the newly published Osprey Duel book, "F-86 Sabre vs. MiG-15", there is yet another new set of figures on Sabre losses: 224 total, 40 in accidents, 61 operational, 18 AAA, 1 bombing, 78 to MiGs, 14 fuel starvation and 12 failed to return. I haven't checked against other books so far, but I have a distinct feeling that there will be inconsistencies.

Regards,

Paul Thompson

James A Pratt III 28th June 2013 21:41

I am afraid I don't have anything else on RAAF and SAAF losses. However, they each only had one squadron flying in Korea which should make it easier to track them down. I have heard that more than a few historians have complained about poor state of USAF record keeping during the Korean war. It looks like this war needs someone to do some more research on it. I am glad to have been of help Paul.

Paul Thompson 29th June 2013 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by James A Pratt III (Post 168810)
I am afraid I don't have anything else on RAAF and SAAF losses. However, they each only had one squadron flying in Korea which should make it easier to track them down. I have heard that more than a few historians have complained about poor state of USAF record keeping during the Korean war. It looks like this war needs someone to do some more research on it. I am glad to have been of help Paul.

Hello James,

Thank you for your help, the book about the FAA is an interesting source in any case! I've read about Korea only intermittenly, so perhaps there are already good sources available for both the RAAF and SAAF. I think most 20th century wars need more research, especially when it comes to air battles! Korea is a really good example of professional historians never troubling to assist the efforts of enthusiasts, I hope that changes at last.

Regards,

Paul Thompson

Col Bruggy 29th June 2013 16:44

Hello,

For RAF, RAAF, RN, RAN & SAAF participation in Korea, 1950 -1951 the following publication is unsurpassed:

With the Yanks in Korea - Volume One - The First Definitive Account of British and Commonwealth Participation in the Air War, June 1950 - December 1951.
Cull.Brian & Dennis Newton.
London:Grub Street,2000.

Besides a fine narrative account, there are detailed loss tables for all the participants in Appendixes I - VII. The book has a select bibliography (including Lansdown's, With the Carriers in Korea 1950-53), and an excellent index.

Where is Volume Two, Brian?

Col.

Paul Thompson 29th June 2013 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col Bruggy (Post 168848)
Hello,

For RAF, RAAF, RN, RAN & SAAF participation in Korea, 1950 -1951 the following publication is unsurpassed:

With the Yanks in Korea - Volume One - The First Definitive Account of British and Commonwealth Participation in the Air War, June 1950 - December 1951.
Cull.Brian & Dennis Newton.
London:Grub Street,2000.

Besides a fine narrative account, there are detailed loss tables for all the participants in Appendixes I - VII. The book has a select bibliography (including Lansdowne's, With the Carriers in Korea 1950-53), and an excellent index.

Where is Volume Two, Brian?

Col.

Hello Col Bruggy,

Excellent, another great title I wasn't aware of! I add my voice to the chorus asking for Volume Two!

Regards,

Paul Thompson

Brian 1st July 2013 19:42

Hi guys

Thanks for the kind words re WITH THE YANKS IN KOREA - I'm afraid the publisher wouldn't do Volume 2.

However, I have something on the back burner. Stay tuned!

Cheers
Brian

PS: I have some copies of Volume 1 should anyone be interested.

Paul Thompson 1st July 2013 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 168963)
Hi guys

Thanks for the kind words re WITH THE YANKS IN KOREA - I'm afraid the publisher wouldn't do Volume 2.

However, I have something on the back burner. Stay tuned!

Cheers
Brian

PS: I have some copies of Volume 1 should anyone be interested.

Hello Brian,

You're welcome! I hope there is more in store.

Regards,
Paul Thompson
P.S. I've sent you a PM

John Beaman 1st July 2013 23:43

Guys, great posts. The Korean air war is like a black hole. Keep it alive!

Nokose 3rd July 2013 09:07

There is a translation coming out on 01 Aug 2013 called "Red Devils over the Yalu: A chronicle of Soviet aerial operations in the Korean War 1950-53" by Igor Seidov which is in paperback and 712 pages.

Frank Olynyk 3rd July 2013 10:57

Nokose,
Many thanks for bringing this to our attention. It is now on order, and eagerly awaited. Published by Helion, due Aug 1 in the US and July 15 in the UK. I really hope it comes out on time. Amazon.com lists delivery to me in the period Sept 5 to 11.

SAAF: South Africa's Flying Cheetahs in Korea, by Dermot Moore & Peter Bagshawe, published by Ashanti. 1991. Out of print, but copies are listed on addall.com; some even at reasonable prices.

SAAF: 2 Squadron in Korea: "Flying Cheetahs" 1950-1953, by Winston Brent, published by Freeworld. 2001. Out of print, can't find any on addall.com. Contains a list of losses, with descriptions.

In the past the ORB and Combat Reports for 77 RAAF Sqn were available on microfilm from the RAAF Historical Office. Start with http://airpower.airforce.gov.au/Cont...l-Records.aspx

Enjoy!

Frank.

Alex Smart 3rd July 2013 20:13

Hello Frank,
I would have thought that you would have known of this site -
http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/korea/repor...rwald_afct.htm
Gives all known losses I beleive.
All the best
Alex

Paul Thompson 3rd July 2013 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nokose (Post 169048)
There is a translation coming out on 01 Aug 2013 called "Red Devils over the Yalu: A chronicle of Soviet aerial operations in the Korean War 1950-53" by Igor Seidov which is in paperback and 712 pages.

Hello Nokose,

A friend of mine has read the Russian original and says that the text is rather polemical and confusing. He also says that another Russian writer, Tsurkaev, is a better source on this subject. Can you give your opinion on the matter?

Regards,

Paul Thompson

Paul Thompson 3rd July 2013 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Olynyk (Post 169052)
SAAF: South Africa's Flying Cheetahs in Korea, by Dermot Moore & Peter Bagshawe, published by Ashanti. 1991. Out of print, but copies are listed on addall.com; some even at reasonable prices.

SAAF: 2 Squadron in Korea: "Flying Cheetahs" 1950-1953, by Winston Brent, published by Freeworld. 2001. Out of print, can't find any on addall.com. Contains a list of losses, with descriptions.

Hello Frank,

Thank you very much for this information. Does the first book contain any loss data?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smart (Post 169078)
Hello Frank,
I would have thought that you would have known of this site -
http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/korea/repor...rwald_afct.htm
Gives all known losses I beleive.
All the best
Alex

Hello Alex,

As James wrote about the FAA in the first post, "They lost a lot more aircraft and aircrew than what were documented in Korwald". The authors of the Osprey duel book about the Sabre and MiG-15 also criticise Korwald, in their case for lack of clarity in loss descriptions for USAF aircraft. That's the reason why other sources are needed.

Regards,

Paul Thompson

Nokose 4th July 2013 01:37

Sorry Paul, I haven't read any sources on the Soviet fighters in the Korean War but hoping this one has update notes in English. The translator is suppose to be very good from what I've read. Still waiting for a non-bias history of the Chinese and North Korean air forces to come to light. As the Russians were military advisors maybe they will be able to come out with that.

Frank Olynyk 4th July 2013 04:48

Nokose,
Douglas C Dildy has published a nine part series (so far) in Small Air Forces Observer, titled The Korean People's Air Force in the Fatherland Liberation War. Part 9 in the just issued July 2013 issue takes the story up to early June 1952. It has five pages of text, a page of photographs, and a page with an order of battle for Nov 1951. It is covering both the North Korean and Chinese efforts, and includes Russian context. The series started in Vol 35 No 1. Website is http://safch.org/

Enjoy!

Frank.

Paul Thompson 4th July 2013 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nokose (Post 169093)
Sorry Paul, I haven't read any sources on the Soviet fighters in the Korean War but hoping this one has update notes in English. The translator is suppose to be very good from what I've read. Still waiting for a non-bias history of the Chinese and North Korean air forces to come to light. As the Russians were military advisors maybe they will be able to come out with that.

Hello Nokose,

OK, I understand. I'll give you additional details about the other author as and when I am able to establish them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Olynyk (Post 169099)
Nokose,
Douglas C Dildy has published a nine part series (so far) in Small Air Forces Observer, titled The Korean People's Air Force in the Fatherland Liberation War.

Hello Frank,

That's amazing, I've never heard of this magazine, but the sample issue shows that it's excellent. Thank you for spreading the knowledge!

Regards,

Paul Thompson

Alex Smart 5th July 2013 01:01

Hello Frank,
There is also the book by Graham Thomas, "Furies and Fireflies over Korea the story of the men of the FAA,RAF & Commonwealth who Defended South Korea, 1950-1953", published by Grub Street.
Alex

James A Pratt III 5th July 2013 01:36

I have read Furies and Fireflies" it does have some information on 77 sqn RAAF but is not as good as "With the carriers in Korea". "Furies and Fireflies" does have some personal accounts of not in "With the Carriers in Korea". Ther is also a internet site that deals with B-29s during the Korean war that mentions a number of B-29 losses not mentioned in Korwald. There is also an osprey book on VVS Mig-15s during the Korean war.

Paul Thompson 5th July 2013 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smart (Post 169151)
Hello Frank,
There is also the book by Graham Thomas, "Furies and Fireflies over Korea the story of the men of the FAA,RAF & Commonwealth who Defended South Korea, 1950-1953", published by Grub Street.
Alex

Hello Alex,

Thank you, I think this thread has become a very good bibliography of sources. I'll try to keep it going!

Quote:

Originally Posted by James A Pratt III (Post 169153)
I have read Furies and Fireflies" it does have some information on 77 sqn RAAF but is not as good as "With the carriers in Korea". "Furies and Fireflies" does have some personal accounts of not in "With the Carriers in Korea". Ther is also a internet site that deals with B-29s during the Korean war that mentions a number of B-29 losses not mentioned in Korwald. There is also an osprey book on VVS Mig-15s during the Korean war.

Hello James,

Thank you for adding those details. As for the Internet site, do you mean the site below?
http://home.comcast.net/~b29sintheko...MasterList.htm

The publisher link for the Osprey book is below. This has allowed me to establish the name of that other Russian author, it's Yuriy Tepsurkaev. In a very strange twist, he is listed as the illustrator, not the author, of the Osprey title!
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/stor..._9781846032998

Here's an old article about B-29s in Korea I found in the process of looking for the B-29 loss list:
http://www.historynet.com/korean-war...he-air-war.htm

Regards,

Paul Thompson

James S. 28th October 2013 18:03

FAA Korean war losses

There are two books on 77 Squadron RAAF. Both are very cood.

Lion over Korea: 77 Fighter Squadron RAAF, 1950-53 by David Wilson , 215 pages Banner Books 1994

The Forgotten Few: 77 RAAF Squadron in Korea by Doug Hurst, 284 pages, Allen & Unwin 2008