Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Strange case of Walter Dahl (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=52175)

Johannes 1st October 2018 10:09

Strange case of Walter Dahl

Hi guys

This pilot is a little obscure, however I have just received Leistungsbuch for his 1945 claims(well mostly) We are always told 128 or 129 victories. The Leistungsbuch states 133, however thirteen of these were not confirmed, we must accept I guess that those for 1945 met the required standards, witnesses are listed in each case.
If this document is genuine then Dahl had at least twenty-eight confirmed "viermot" making him the top pilot in this field, also forty-nine in 1945 also a record.
As I say witnesses are listed, these are Walter Loos, Werner Bohnenkampe(both of JG300) and a certain Meyer, who is unknown to me!
The curious thing is that Dahl alternates between flying the Fw190 and Me262, he indicates which was used for each claim. He was I understand flying the Me262 with III./EJG2, but I think that he just turned-up at either III./EJG2 or Stab./JG300 depending on what type he wished to use. Now I understand that Loos at this time was flying with JG301, yet Dahl states Stab./G.D, this is also the case in my Ritterkreuzträger book. Question is that even if Loos, Bohnenkampe and perhaps Meyer were flying with JG300 or Stab./G.D how did they witness Dahl's claims whilst flying the Me262? I can find no link to these pilots and the Me262, don't think they could keep-up with a Me262 if flying the Fw190. Loos's April 1945 claims are matching Dahl's.

Whereas Dahl's status probably allowed him the privilege of just turning-up for an aircraft, and commandeering Loos,Bohnenkampe and Meyer, which unit to I attribute these claims to. Galland once turned-up for an aircraft just to see what his pilots were up against attacking the USAAF heavies in 1943.

Kind Regards

Johannes

Johannes 1st October 2018 10:20

Re: Strange case of Walter Dahl

For the benefit of Michael

Looks like nine claims for Dahl with the Me262, this seems to include the last seven numbers 114-120, but numbers 89-90 also with Me262, all other for 1945 with Fw190.

Regard

Johannes

Johannes 1st October 2018 14:10

Hi Guys

Stab./G.D would refer to General of fighters, on 21st February 1945 his wingmens units are refered to as Stab./JG300, on 24th February 1945 same guys belong to Staff of the General of fighters.

Regards

Johannes

knusel 1st October 2018 15:16

Good afternoon Johannes,

it's cool that you opened a new Dahl thread.
In the meantime, I have brooded over what Dahl though his 100th kill was.
In the Leistungsbuch you find it with a scribbled date that looks like 4?March.
But in the line directly above and besides the "99" you find another "100".
May it be that Dahl though an earlier claim to have been confirmed belatedly which naturally shifts the number of the later claims one up each ?
That would explain why we find 128 as well as 129 as his total score in older books.
What's your opinion ?

Michael

Johannes 2nd October 2018 06:59

Hi Michael

I don't have the information on claims 92-103 or with unconfirmed 105-116. But number 91 was achieved on 29th March 1945 and number 104 on 12th April 1945. Dahl himself states 100th on 16th March 1945(mustang) at 1156 hrs, but as I say I counted thirteen of his 133 as unconfirmed. Dahl states he was flying a Fw190, but supposedly his wingman Werner Bohnenkamp would be flying possibly a Ta152.

Kind Regards

Johannes

Alfred.MONZAT 2nd October 2018 11:11

It has always been suspected that Walter Loos was his "partner in crime".
There's no way he can be the top ace over viermots or of 1945 (he was mostly likely flying Storch or other hacks in that period) but may your documents help to solve this...

knusel 2nd October 2018 19:42

Good evening Gentlemen,

before we can assess the honesty of his kills we need to know which Claims Dahl proposed. By kind courtesy of Mr Lorant we know much more about that than before. I wish he would also present the Leistungsbuch page that covers the 29Mar-12Apr period.

Have a nice Tuesday,

Michael

Broncazonk 3rd October 2018 04:36

You always have to 'read between the lines' when reading something from Johannes. He speaks volumes. But he chooses his words very, very carefully.

Bronc

knusel 3rd October 2018 09:54

Yes, Johannes Mathews is great.
Are you interested in the Leistungsbuch page covering the 29Mar-12Apr period, too ?

M

Johannes 3rd October 2018 15:05

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

Thank you very much for the compliments. I do try to get perfection, but nobody gets it so.

Yes, I am interested in the missing claims between 29th March 1945 and 12th April 1945, and would be very grateful if somebody can supply them.

I take it then that Dahl was a bit more than a little dodgy in his claims. I will always include ALL claims in my biographies, and have been warned-off about mentioning the fraudsters by name in publication, but I will mention if I know there are honest.

Anyhow attached is my re-worked Dahl file, there is still work to be done though, that in red is alerting my co-author John Foreman what's new.

Enjoy

Kind Regards

JohannesAttachment 17165Attachment 17165

knusel 4th October 2018 11:53

Good morning Johannes,

the list blossoms well, thanks for posting.
Could you use the weight of your name to request if Mr Lorant would be so kind to unveil the dates and/or the plane types shot down for the missing period ?

Have a nice Thursday,

Michael

Håkan 4th October 2018 15:44

Hello Johannes,

Great XLS-list! Thanks for sharing this!

Best wishes/Håkan

alessandro bray 4th October 2018 17:21

Hi,

Johannes thank you for sharing this and others victories list
A little doubt, in your post Dahl claims a Mustang on 16.03.1945 , but it's not on the list, possible date error on 4.03.1945 (instead of 16.03.1945) claim for a Mustang, same time 11,55?

regards

Alessandro

Johannes 6th October 2018 11:28

Hi Allesandro

Mustang on 4th March 1155 hrs
Lightning on 16th March 1100 hrs

Both witnessed by Werner Meyer(Stab JG300)

Kind Regards

Johannes

alessandro bray 6th October 2018 13:12

I don't have the information on claims 92-103 or with unconfirmed 105-116. But number 91 was achieved on 29th March 1945 and number 104 on 12th April 1945. Dahl himself states 100th on 16th March 1945(mustang) at 1156 hrs, but as I say I counted thirteen of his 133 as unconfirmed. Dahl states he was flying a Fw190, but supposedly his wingman Werner Bohnenkamp would be flying possibly a Ta152.

Kind Regards

Johannes[/quote]

Thank you Johannes,

both are in your list, but my doubt is related to the above sentence

regards

Alessandro

Johannes 8th October 2018 11:37

Hi Alessandro

List states 16th March 1945 was a Lightning.

I did flick through Dahl's book, and found that Walter Loos was the witness to his first JG300 claim on 7th July 1944. I wonder if anybody has a copy of Loos's flugbuch? Sometimes a pilots mentions witnessing claims. According to Obermeier's Ritterkreuz book Loos claims nine Russian aircraft with Jg301 during 1945, I suspect they were with Stab./JG300 and with Dahl, and probably on the same days that Dahl claims.
If dahl was running some kind of scheme with Loos, then Loos would be wanting some form of reward. Easiest situation to do this is if your with the Stab, usually only flying as a group of 2,3 or 4. Guess also it would have to be the highest ranking person making the suggestion.

Kind Regards

Johannes

Nick Beale 8th October 2018 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by alessandro bray (Post 258746)
… number 91 was achieved on 29th March 1945 and number 104 on 12th April 1945.

Kind Regards

Johannes

14 victories in 15 days at that stage of the war? Remarkable if true.

knusel 8th October 2018 14:56

Good morning Johannes,

shouldn't we spell Dahl's given name with an "h" ?
https://www.google.de/search?biw=163...=1539003246596
Cheers,

Michael

Jean-Yves Lorant 8th October 2018 15:43

Hello Johannes

I looked at the new list of Dahl's claims you completed with the Leistungsbuch pages I posted some time ago on this site. Sorry, it is a precise but inaccurate work. I will allow myself two remarks that could help you to be historically credible. There was never a Leutnant Meyer in Stab./JG 300 in 1945 (he was probably in GdF Stab) and Dahl was no longer part of Stab./JG 300 since his appointment as Inspekteur der Tagjäger. The mechanic Alfred Rademacher and the two pilots of Stab./JG 300 I questioned about this were formal. If Dahl had made so many sorties with his old wingmen, it would not have gone unnoticed. As Nick Beale quite rightly said 14 aerial victories in two weeks at that stage of the war is truly prodigious. It is even more so if you are researching allied losses at the places and dates given by Walther Dahl.
It would be interesting to know if the Flugbuch in possession of Russ Fahey also covers this period of Dahl's career. By giving us the places, times of takeoffs and landings, this would bring more credibility to this amazing score.

The Flugbuch of Walther Loos is sadly not 100% reliable. For the last missions of 1945 there are surcharges with a different writing. No comments...

Regards
Jean-Yves Lorant

MW Giles 8th October 2018 16:20

The claims for 27 to 30th April for B-17s are suspect as the 8th AF had already done its last mission and the 15th AF was grounded for four days due to bad weather

Martin

Dan O'Connell 9th October 2018 03:35

Any possibility for WN of the Me 262's he was flying?

knusel 9th October 2018 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan O'Connell (Post 258847)

Good morning Mr. O'Connell,

I'm afraid no but I'll have look in my Dahl-book as soon as I'm at home.

Cheers,

Michael

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean-Yves Lorant (Post 258828)
Hello Johannes

I looked at the new list of Dahl's claims you completed with the Leistungsbuch pages I posted some time ago on this site. Sorry, it is a precise but inaccurate work. I will allow myself two remarks that could help you to be historically credible. There was never a Leutnant Meyer in Stab./JG 300 in 1945 (he was probably in GdF Stab) and Dahl was no longer part of Stab./JG 300 since his appointment as Inspekteur der Tagjäger. The mechanic Alfred Rademacher and the two pilots of Stab./JG 300 I questioned about this were formal. If Dahl had made so many sorties with his old wingmen, it would not have gone unnoticed. As Nick Beale quite rightly said 14 aerial victories in two weeks at that stage of the war is truly prodigious. It is even more so if you are researching allied losses at the places and dates given by Walther Dahl.
It would be interesting to know if the Flugbuch in possession of Russ Fahey also covers this period of Dahl's career. By giving us the places, times of takeoffs and landings, this would bring more credibility to this amazing score.

The Flugbuch of Walther Loos is sadly not 100% reliable. For the last missions of 1945 there are surcharges with a different writing. No comments...

Regards
Jean-Yves Lorant

Good morning Mr. Lorant,

I noticed that in the Leistungsbuch there is a "100" scribbled next to the entry of Dahl's 99th claim. Does that mean that he believed an earlier kill was confirmed belatedly, which shifts the numbers of his kills one upwards ?

Cheers,

Michael

Dan O'Connell 10th October 2018 03:25

Thank you Michael.

Johannes 10th October 2018 11:25

Hi Jean-Yves

Many thanks for getting involved with this one. I assume the inaccurate part of on list it just the units? I thought given his actual job at the time that he would just turn-up at a unit and use their aircraft/wingmen.
I had thought about the Leistungsbuch being fake, but if so it must be an old fake. Ernst Obermeier seems to use it in his Ritterkreuz publication a few years after Dahl's death. I don't have his 1966 publication, but I hope somebody can enlighten us as to his claims totals in it.

Regarding Russel Fahey's flugbuch of Dahl, that would appear to be genuine, he purchased the book(at great expense) photocopied it then sold it on. The period covered is 23rd August 1941 until 15th October 1944, so not covering the period we would like.

I think by memory that Obermeier states that Loos is with JG301 at the end of the war, where he makes nine claims over Russian aircraft...….presumably with Dahl, same for Werner Bohnenkamp, and if Dahl was as dodgy as suggested Leutnant Meyer would have been credited with claims also. It would appear that Dahl seconded old wingmen to fly his last sorties.

There is a request for which actual Me262 he flew, are we to believe he had his own personal aircraft, and Fw190 also.

Would be very grateful if you could enlighten us as to the details of the missing claims, also would be interested in the details of his witnesses over the years.

Kind Regards

Johannes

Nick Beale 10th October 2018 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johannes (Post 258905)
There is a request for which actual Me262 he flew, are we to believe he had his own personal aircraft?
Johannes

I very much doubt it. These are III./EJG 2's strengths for some days in April:

6 April: 25 (16) Me 262 - [inc. 7 Me 262 A-4 reconnaissance]
7 April: 27 (22) Me 262 - 3 to strength, 1 off strength
8 April: 26 (19) Me 262 - 3 to strength, 2 total losses, 2 to Gen. Qu. reserve
9 April: 23 (13) Me 262 - 4 to strength
10 April: 21 (17) Me 262 - 2 off strength

knusel 10th October 2018 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan O'Connell (Post 258847)

Good evening Mr. O'Connell,

the Dahl volume by Ralf Schumann does only include one Me262 picture and does not even propose that this is Dahl's plane. Maybe the Me262 activities of Dahl are a hoax.

Kind regards,

Michael

Dan O'Connell 10th October 2018 20:18

Hard to say Michael, I assume he just flew what ever 262 was usable when he was there.

Broncazonk 11th October 2018 02:32

Willi Reschke has Walter Loos joining the Ta 152 equipped Stabsschwarm of JG 301 in early April. (Pg. 251) His photograph appears on Pg. 252 and 255.

The first Appendix lists three (3) victories for Loos while serving with Stabsschwarm/JG 301:

2 victories on 24 April 45, Jak-9's over Berlin
1 victory on 30 April 45, Jak-9 over Berlin (Very last mission for the unit.)

Reschke describes the 24 April action in detail on Pg. 257-259. On that day, Loos was in a three flight consisting of Loos, Keil and Blum, all flying a Ta 152.

Who witnessed Dahl's 24 & 30 April victories?

Bronc

Karoband 11th October 2018 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncazonk (Post 258939)
Willi Reschke has Walter Loos joining the Ta 152 equipped Stabsschwarm of JG 301 in early April. (Pg. 251) His photograph appears on Pg. 252 and 255.

The first Appendix lists three (3) victories for Loos while serving with Stabsschwarm/JG 301:

2 victories on 24 April 45, Jak-9's over Berlin
1 victory on 30 April 45, Jak-9 over Berlin (Very last mission for the unit.)

Reschke describes the 24 April action in detail on Pg. 257-259. On that day, Loos was in a three flight consisting of Loos, Keil and Blum, all flying a Ta 152.

Who witnessed Dahl's 24 & 30 April victories?

Bronc

Good afternoon,

In his first post, Johannes was very careful to state:
"... He was I understand flying the Me 262 with III./EJG 2 but I think that he just turned up at either III./EJG 2 or Stab/JG 300 depending on what type he wished to use. Now I understand that Loos at this time was flying with JG 301 …". It is logical to assume that Dahl could have shown up at Lechfeld at any time to borrow a Me 262 but Bronc's information may point to an alternative.

If I am wrong about assuming the Stabsschwarm of JG 301 was from the Stabsstaffel of JG 301, please correct me.

http://www.ww2.dk/air/jagd/jg301.htm

From the above source:
"The Stabsstaffel / JG 301 was formed 23.1.45 in Rechlin from Erprobungskommando Ta 152, but remained at Rechlin and never operated together with the rest of JG 301."

So I have to ask Bronc if Reschke mentioned if the flight of Loos, Keil and Blum on 24 April originated from Rechlin? Could Rechlin be the source of Dahl's Me 262s?

Best regards,

Jim

Broncazonk 11th October 2018 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karoband (Post 258975)
Good afternoon,

So I have to ask Bronc if Reschke mentioned if the flight of Loos, Keil and Blum on 24 April originated from Rechlin? Could Rechlin be the source of Dahl's Me 262s?

Best regards,

Jim

Per Reschke, Pg. 257:

24 April 1945

"JG 301 once again succeeded in getting all of its units into the air to bomb and strafe Russian positions near Zossen southeast of Berlin. The Stabsschwarm and II./JG 301 took off from Neustadt-Glewe at 0800 hours and the I. and III. Gruppe got airborne from Hagenow at about the same time."

Bronc

Karoband 11th October 2018 22:59

Thanks, Bronc. I think that puts an end to the alternative of Rechlin.

Jim

knusel 12th October 2018 09:25

Good morning Gentlemen,

I have opened a Loos thread because I want to find out his maximum number of kills scored within JG301.
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=43179

Cheers,

Michael

Johannes 12th October 2018 11:38

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

I'll look into the Loos comments. First attached a revised Dahl file, his book states 102-103 on 27th March 1945, yet already 110 on 4th April 1945, subtracting thirteen for those unconfirmed, then that for 4th April would be the ninety-seventh. Attachment 17199

Also his book supports the Leistungsbuch.

Kind Regards

Johannes

Flavio 12th October 2018 14:36

Hi Johannes,

according to your revised Dahl file, the "Viermots" listed are 27 (not 28) + 11 u/c. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you

Flavio

MW Giles 13th October 2018 10:05

This is what I can find when you compare his claims against US missions.

30,1.45 General der flieger Obstlt B-17 raum Berlin Berlin area 1155
30,1.45 General der flieger Obstlt P-51 raum Berlin Berlin area 1200
8th AF did not do any operations on this date,nor did the 15th AF.
No MACRs match

31.1.45 General der flieger Obstlt P-51 raum Berlin Berlin area 1115
8th AF went to Brunswick, Bremen and Hallendorf
15th went to Moosebierbaum in Austria (300 miles away), smaller operations to Graz and Maribor
Only P-51 MACR is 11839 P-51D 44-13509 52FG Ralston Lake, Hungary

4,2.45 General der flieger Obstlt P-38 raum Berlin Berlin area 1400
8th AF 3 F-5s on recon, no losses
15th AF no operations took place
No MACRs match

4,3.45 General der flieger Obstlt P-51 raum Berlin Berlin area 935 150
8th AF went to Southern Germany
15th AF went to Hungary and Austria
RAF BC to Ruhr
No MACRs match

16,3.45 General der flieger Obstlt P-38 25km westlich Brandenburg 25km W Brandenburg 1025 1200
8th AF only minor operations
15th AF was in Austria and southern Germany (P-51s)
No MACRs match

27,3.45 General der flieger Obstlt P-47 westenrand Ammersee western bank of lake Ammer 1105 800
27,3.45 General der flieger Obstlt P-47 20km östlich München 20km E Munich 1100 100

15th AF no operations
Obviously more likely to be 9th AF or 1 TAF if it is a P-47
MACR 13673 P-47D 44-20593 367FG Redstock, Frankfurt
No MACRs match
III/EJG2 claimed six P-47s this day

29,3.45 General der flieger Obstlt B-17 raum Berlin Berlin area 1510 tiefflug
8th AF did no operations
15th AF did no operations
RAF BC to mid Germany
No MACRs for B-17s

20,4.45 General der flieger Obst P-51 raum München Munich area 1610 300
8th AF extensive operations
15th AF attacked Austria and Italy
MACR 14101 P-51D 44-72076 of the 354th FG lost Prague – wrong place

24,4.45 General der flieger Obst B-17 20km westlich München 20km W Munich 1030 1500
8th AF did no operations
15th AF were in Austria and Northern Italy
B-17 43-38685 lost on trip to Rheine – wrong place

26,4.45 General der flieger Obst P-51 25km südlich München 25km S Munich 1730 200
8th AF did no operations
15th AF were in Northern Italy
P-51 44-72967 of 354th FG lost dive bombing N of Raudnitz – wrong place and time

27,4.45 General der flieger Obst B-17 10km südöstlich München 10km SE Munich 1035 200
27,4.45 General der flieger Obst B-17 20km westlich Augsburg 20km W Augsburg 1240 300
8th AF did no operations
No MACRs

28,4.45 General der flieger Obst P-51 10km südöstlich Salzburg 10km SE Salzburg 1230 5000
28,4.45 General der flieger Obst B-17 50km südöstlich Salzburg 50km SE Salzburg 1440 3500
8th AF did no operations
No MACRs

30,4.45 General der flieger Obst B-17 20km nördlich München 20km N Munich 1630 6000 N 90 Me262
8th AF did no operations
No MACRs

Sorry I do not have the knowledge to do the same for the Russians.

However as you can essentially dismiss 17 aircraft from his list, including 7 B-17s, why are we discussing whether he claimed his 99th or 100th on a particular date?

Having done this I firmly suspect that he was flying a mahogany fighter during this period

Martin

Nick Beale 13th October 2018 10:12

Quote:

However as you can essentially dismiss 17 aircraft from his list, including 7 B-17s, why are we discussing whether he claimed his 99th or 100th on a particular date?
That, Martin, is an excellent question and I look forward to any answers that may be forthcoming.

Nick Hector 13th October 2018 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Beale (Post 259036)
That, Martin, is an excellent question and I look forward to any answers that may be forthcoming.

Shows the value of losses vs claims research rather than just listing numbers alongside pilot's names without bothering to verify anything was actually shot down.

As for his claims against the Russians:

22.6.41/0430
"I-18"
W of Lemberg @ 1500m
23 or 28 IAP. Details pending

8.8.41/1330
DB-3
E of Majewo
11 DBAP? They suffered at least 5 losses, crews of Ml.Lt. A I Pykhtin, Serzhant A Evdokimov, Ml.Lt. P T Krashenninikov, Ml.Lt. Nikolay Ilyich Alimbarashvili and Serzhant N I Mineev all failed to return. Another possibility is 8 DBAP, crew of Lt. Ivan Yakovlevich Korovin which was definitely lost to fighters

24.8.41/0855
"I-180"
S of Zaporozhe
162 IAP? They lost Ml.Lt. Andrey Panteleevich Tsaplagin KIA this date

14.9.41/0605
I-153 "Tchaika"
Jelesawetowka/Mironovka area
44 IAD Staff. This was probably claimed against Leytenant Grigoriy Kotscha. Overclaiming, as he managed to escape (also appears to have been claimed by Gollob)

19.9.41/1357
SB-3
Kotschubjewka
Possibly 316 ORAP. Crew of Ml.Lt. Yaroslav Leonidovich Bratolyubov

Unconfirmed
2.4.42/1530
Hurricane ("Spitfire")
Malta
BV174 of 229 sqn. P/O Andrews returned to base with damage

26.8.42/0830
Yak-7B
NW of Stalingrad @ 800m
(Wilcke and Wessling claimed as well)
Were these claimed against 900 IAP? They lost Lt. Viktor Alekseyevich Saburov KIA

7.9.42/1536
La-5
SW of Achtuba (PQ 49283) @ 2500m
3 GIAP or 27 IAP, 287 IAD, 8 VA. Definitely 3 La-5s lost this date

19.9.42/1144
Yak
1km SE of Kotluban @ 500m
8 VA (1 Yak-7B lost) or 16 VA (6 Yak-1s and 1 Yak-7B lost) or 102 IAD/PVO. 16 VA losses include Pavel Nikolaevich Bulaev of 520 IAP KIA and Ivan Yakovlevich Buldygin of 581 IAP

24.9.42/1103 and 1109
2 x Yak-1s
Stalingrad – Dubovka
8 VA (no known losses) or 16 VA (8 Yak-1s lost) or 102 IAD/PVO. 16 VA's losses include Mikhail Stepanovich Bubnov of 43 IAP, Serzhant Peter Korneevich Sednev of 520 IAP and Ilya Mikhaylovich Yuzhakov (AE CO) of 812 IAP. All KIA

27.9.42/1603
Stalingrad @ 4500m
8 VA (1 IL-2 lost this date) or 16 VA (no known losses this date). 8 VA's loss was 944 ShAP, Serzhant Pavel Vasilyevich Sytov
(Wilcke also claimed, so one must be an overclaim)

14.10.42/0707 and 0715
2 x IL-2 Sturmoviks
20-25km NW of Stalingrad
Likely 245 ShAP. Losses include Evgeny Filippovich Baranov POW (liberated in January 1943). 954 ShAP lost Kapitan Arkady Ivanovich Buzev (AE CO) KIA
There were about 5 claims in total

17.10.42/0915
Yak-1
50km NE of Stalingrad @ 2000m
512 IAP. Starshiy Leytenant Ignatiy Biryukov

25.10.42/1039 and 1421
2 x IL-2 Sturmoviks
Krasnoarmejsk – Stalingrad
686, 807 and 945 ShAP, 206 ShAD? (definitely in action this day). Losses include MSgt Sudarkin of 945 ShAP, forcelanded 5km S of Prishchevka (already damaged by Flak, finished off by a Bf109). 944 ShAP lost St. Serzhant Nikolay Sergeevich Smirnov KIA

26.10.42/1402, 1407, 1408 and 1412
4 x IL-2 Sturmoviks
Stalingrad – Beketovka
Day's IL-2 losses include 206 ShAD's Sgt. Malyshev KIA over Sarpinskiy Island. 686 ShAP, 807 ShAP, 811 ShAP and 945 ShAP all in action this date. 505 ShAP lost Serzhant Alexei Nikolaevich Sipigin KIA this date 807 ShAP lost Pavel Dmitrievich Shurigin in an alleged taran this date

27.10.42/1000
Yak-1
12km E of Krasnaja Sloboda
Day's losses in the Stalingrad sector include 11 IAP's Vitaliy Vasilievich Serkov KIA. Same unit lost Serzhant Vasily Ivanovich Titov on IL-2 escort mission and definitely to fighters was Nikolay Aleksandrovich Shershilov baled out failed to return

30.11.42/0810 and 0812
2 x IL-2 Sturmoviks
Pitomnik – Kotluban
622 ShAP, 214 ShAD, 8 VA definitely in action over Pitomnik in the morning losing 6 planes and 5 crews including Kapitan Dobrokhotov and Serzhant Pyatiletov. 5 more were seriously damaged

15.4.43/1629 and 1630
2 x LaGG-3s
Kuban bridgehead
At least 9 LaGG-3s lost this day. 4 from 267 IAP, 2 from 979 IAP, 2 from 926 IAP and 1 from 269 IAP more specific info is impossible due to large number of claims/losses

MW Giles 13th October 2018 10:28

This is what I can find when you compare his claims against US missions.

30,1.45 General der flieger Obstlt B-17 raum Berlin Berlin area 1155
30,1.45 General der flieger Obstlt P-51 raum Berlin Berlin area 1200
8th AF did not do any operations on this date,nor did the 15th AF.
No MACRs match

31.1.45 General der flieger Obstlt P-51 raum Berlin Berlin area 1115
8th AF went to Brunswick, Bremen and Hallendorf
15th went to Moosebierbaum in Austria (300 miles away), smaller operations to Graz and Maribor
Only P-51 MACR is 11839 P-51D 44-13509 52FG Ralston Lake, Hungary

4,2.45 General der flieger Obstlt P-38 raum Berlin Berlin area 1400
8th AF 3 F-5s on recon, no losses
15th AF no operations took place
No MACRs match

4,3.45 General der flieger Obstlt P-51 raum Berlin Berlin area 935 150
8th AF went to Southern Germany
15th AF went to Hungary and Austria
RAF BC to Ruhr
No MACRs match

16,3.45 General der flieger Obstlt P-38 25km westlich Brandenburg 25km W Brandenburg 1025 1200
15th AF was in Austria and southern Germany (P-51s)
No MACRs match

27,3.45 General der flieger Obstlt P-47 westenrand Ammersee western bank of lake Ammer 1105 800
27,3.45 General der flieger Obstlt P-47 20km östlich München 20km E Munich 1100 100

15th AF no operations
Obviously more likely to be 9th AF or 1 TAF if it is a P-47
MACR 13673 P-47D 44-20593 367FG Redstock, Frankfurt
No MACRs match
III/EJG2 claimed six P-47s this day

29,3.45 General der flieger Obstlt B-17 raum Berlin Berlin area 1510 tiefflug
8th AF did no operations
RAF BC to mid Germany
No MACRs for B-17s

20,4.45 General der flieger Obst P-51 raum München Munich area 1610 300
8th AF extensive operations
15th AF attacked Austria and Italy
MACR 14101 P-51D 44-72076 of the 354th FG lost Prague – wrong place

24,4.45 General der flieger Obst B-17 20km westlich München 20km W Munich 1030 1500
8th AF did no operations
15th AF were in Austria and Northern Italy
B-17 43-38685 lost on trip to Rheine – wrong place

26,4.45 General der flieger Obst P-51 25km südlich München 25km S Munich 1730 200
8th AF did no operations
15th AF were in Northern Italy
P-51 44-72967 of 354th FG lost dive bombing N of Raudnitz – wrong place and time

27,4.45 General der flieger Obst B-17 10km südöstlich München 10km SE Munich 1035 200
27,4.45 General der flieger Obst B-17 20km westlich Augsburg 20km W Augsburg 1240 300
8th AF did no operations
No MACRs

28,4.45 General der flieger Obst P-51 10km südöstlich Salzburg 10km SE Salzburg 1230 5000
28,4.45 General der flieger Obst B-17 50km südöstlich Salzburg 50km SE Salzburg 1440 3500
8th AF did no operations
No MACRs

30,4.45 General der flieger Obst B-17 20km nördlich München 20km N Munich 1630 6000 N 90 Me262
8th AF did no operations
No MACRs

Sorry I do not have the knowledge to do the same for the Russians.

Having done this I firmly suspect that he was flying a mahogany fighter during this period

Martin

Nick Beale 13th October 2018 10:49

Quote:

Shows the value of losses vs claims research rather than just listing numbers alongside pilot's names without bothering to verify anything was actually shot down.
Exactly. Not to mention that trying to find out what actually happened is really interesting, too.

Nick Hector 13th October 2018 11:00

Well I think Martin has shown that Dahl's later claims were pure fiction and we wouldn't have reached that conclusion without the insight into BOTH sides of the argument