Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Helmut Wick initialed documents ? (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=55746)

harri109 16th December 2019 12:01

Helmut Wick initialed documents ?

4 Attachment(s)
Hi all
I recently purchased these interesting items direct from Germany. They consist of six cut pieces from Luftwaffe documents and have the letter W written on them in ink or pencil ? Two are dated from September (1940?) and one or two others have some type remaining.
The seller advertised them as from JG2 documents, and the W initial as Wicks.
I’d be very interested to know peoples options on them.
It’s intriguing that it’s only the initial “W” and not his full name, but it would make sense if he was signing the documents in a hurry or had a pile of orders to go through??
I appreciate how rare Wick items are, so the jury’s out, but you never know?

Many thanks.

Chris Goss 16th December 2019 12:12

Re: Helmut Wick initialed documents ?

I have two such cut signatures given to me by Lt Franz Fiby in 1982, I have the full Wick name and the colour and style match

harri109 16th December 2019 12:50

Hi Chris
Thank you for your prompt reply, very interesting and much appreciated.

hucks216 16th December 2019 14:37

Here is his signature in a Soldbuch.

harri109 16th December 2019 14:46

Many thanks for the photo 👍

Chris Goss 16th December 2019 14:52

Identical to mine

VtwinVince 16th December 2019 17:27

That's tragic, would love to have seen the original docs.

Adriano Baumgartner 16th December 2019 18:36

Indeed, for History (and the owner of the artifact) this is criminal, to cut such a document...

I remember consulting a book on the Library of my University, only to find it totally cut like this pieces of signatures, where the loveliest photos of Architecture were...sadly no one never reported that to the Authorities until I found the problem and informed...no culpit, of course...no one to blame...

Perhaps those who cut did not understand or comprehend the importance for History of this kind of documents...anyway...a sad loss to History and a mervellous acquisition by the new owner.

A.

harri109 16th December 2019 19:25

Yes, I agree it’s a shame. It would have been great to see the original documents complete. However, still interesting items which I’m thrilled to own.

Adriano Baumgartner 16th December 2019 19:54

You bet it is!

Maybe the dates (19/9, etc.) can give you a glimpse...about what were related to, those documents...but you would need further investigation on his career and JG 2, to find out more...A wonderful batch indeed. Congratulations!