Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hurricane North Africa (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=48481)

kaki3152 27th June 2017 23:31

Hurricane North Africa

Another E-Bay find. The serial number is hard to read although the first number is obviously a "4".

Col Bruggy 28th June 2017 07:16

Re: Hurricane North Africa

Hello,

Just musing here!

Possibly No.208 Sqn Hurricane I Z4433, crashed at Msus, 24-01-1942. There is a photograph in Shores' "Fighters Over The Desert" (between pp.128-9), which shows a No.208 Squadron Hurricane with an insignia similar to the one on the crashed Hurricane (just behind, and below the cockpit canopy). It is an owl perched on a branch. The photo has the following caption: Wg. Cdr. Durrant in a Tac.R Hurricane of 208 Squadron. Note the personal insignia beneath the cockpit. (Photo - Sqn.Ldr. Tester via R. C. Jones).

The following is known:

Saturday, 24 January, 1942.

Two Hurricanes of 208 Squadron took off on a dawn Tac.R, but were intercepted by a pair of Bf 109s from I./JG 27 which were scrambled from Belandah. Plt. Off Stephens was then shot down by Uffz Walchhofer west of Agedabia, and was killed

British Casualties.

208 Sqn, Hurricane Z4539 shot down; (AUS404812) Plt Off O. C. Stephens, RAAF, KiA, left 0720 for Agedabia.

German Claims.

6./JG 27 - Uffz Johann Walchhofer - Hurricane - W Agedabia 0830.

See:MAW1/Shores et al/pp.440-1

Anyone have the 208 Sqn ORB, to help identify second pilot, or W/C Durrant?

Col.

Stig Jarlevik 28th June 2017 11:54

This is a tricky one

Why would any RAF unit either blank out the serial number prefix or re-paint a serial without it?

Cheers
Stig

Stig Jarlevik 28th June 2017 13:54

I have to correct myself

When looking closer a very faint Z is visible and I must say I agree with Col's
conclusion.

Cheers
Stig

kaki3152 28th June 2017 16:21

Thanks Stig & Col for the musings! It does look like the pilot should have survived but perhaps he was hit in the cockpit.

Alex Smart 29th June 2017 00:39

Hello,
With the roundel ( is there the yellow outer ring ?) and fin stripe I would put this event much earlier than 1942 ?
Alex

Graham Boak 29th June 2017 11:53

I think you are confusing the change from the Temperate Land Scheme to the Day Fighter Scheme, which took place in August 1941, with the change in the roundel design which did not follow until July 1st 1942. This aircraft is carrying correct markings for January 1942. Yes, I think that there is a yellow ring on the fuselage, but "hidden" by the use of ortho film - note how dark the red appears.

However, there could be quite a lag between the introduction of changes in markings and their complete replacement of the previous ones in overseas theatres. It took quite a long time for aircraft to travel out to Egypt, including time waiting for a suitable convoy. They would not be repainted in Freetown on arrival in Africa, and the first opportunity would have been in an MU in the Delta. If fighters were in demand at the front line (as usual) then repainting the national markings would have been a very low priority.

Alex Smart 29th June 2017 12:55

Thank you Graham, you answered my question.
Alex

kaki3152 29th June 2017 16:51

Graham,

Thanks for that succinct and comprehensive reply on Western Desert markings re this picture.