Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Air Navigation Act 1936, Section 14, req'd please for WW2 research? (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=29806)

Observer1940 22nd May 2012 22:51

Air Navigation Act 1936, Section 14, req'd please for WW2 research?

Hello All

I wondered please, if anyone has Section 14 of the "Air Navigation Act" of 1936?

This covers the Lighting and Marking of Obstructions and Obstacles Dangerous to Aircraft in the vicinity of an English Airport / Aerodrome.

I have the House of Commons debate from Hansard regarding the Air Navigation Bill, but cannot find a full copy of the above Air Navigation Act 1936 covering the required Section, at TNA, Kew?

Thanks
Mark

Alan Clark 23rd May 2012 04:15

Re: Air Navigation Act 1936, Section 14, req'd please for WW2 research?

The earliest mention of 'Air Navigation' on the UK Legislation site is 1972, there are some 20 Act and Orders from 1936 on their index but none dealing with aviation.

You need a friendly MP who will delve into the parliamentary archive.

andy bird 23rd May 2012 10:12

Hi Mark,

This is covered in the Air Ministry Works - Department of Works a copy covering WW2 was published in 1955 by AHB. It give's dimension's of lighting, bulb construction etc., for buildings on airfield and those on the edge.

Have a copy, at work what exactly are you looking for?

Regards

Andy Bird

Observer1940 25th May 2012 00:04

Hello Alan and Andy

Thanks for replying.

Alan, I agree, the OPSI and Statute Law Database at www.legislation.gov.uk does not list the Air Navigation Act 1936, in fact it does not even mention the Air Navigation Act of 1920.

Parliamentary Archives might be a good call though, I forgot that, I must be going scenile!

Andy, I got your pm and will be in touch regarding the daily account. I'm not quite sure if what you have about the rules of obstruction lighting would be exactly the same as the wording in the 1936 Act? I will describe a bit about the Act.

Regarding the Air Navigation Act 1936 of interest, it was an Act for amending the Air Navigation Act 1920 and giving effect to certain recommendations of Lord Gorell's Committee and received Royal Assent 31st July 1936 according to The Times, newspaper.

A Clause was added during the Bill in preparation for the 1936 Act regarding Lighting near Aerodromes, being a safety provision for the indication of the presence of obstructions.

This Clause of the Act laid down leglislation to provide for the illumination of obstructions in the vicinity of aerodromes.

I can find some pre and post WW2 Air Ministry files debating the legal responsibilities of the Section / Clause of the 1936 Act in relation to the lighting obstructions at Aerodromes and also in terms of obstructions to Air Navigation.

I have access to Lord Gorell's Committee (printed) and the 1920 Air Navigation Act, but the 1936 Air Navigation Act, is proving rather elusive.

The only thing (unchecked) at TNA, Kew was the Air Navigation Act 1920 as Amended, but nothing online to suggest it was the Act of 1936.

Perhaps your document Andy, might be direct quotes from the 1936 Act?

The oldest Air Navigation Act online was post-war (WW 2) and now even that Act seems to have disappeared.

Regards Mark

Observer1940 27th May 2012 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Observer1940 (Post 148477)
The oldest Air Navigation Act online was post-war (WW 2) and now even that Act seems to have disappeared.

Regards Mark

Just to correct my comment (quoted immediately above), one of the post-war Acts was the "Civil Aviation Act, 1949" which is still freely available online (free) as an official pdf document.

Regarding the "New Clause" of 1936 "Indication of presence of obstructions near aerodromes." the 1936 Hansard H of C Debate (online), had some very slight amendments in the House of Lords immediately prior to the "Air Navigation Act, 1936" being published in 1936.

I noted that the main wording about the requirement to light obstructions in the "Civil Aviation Act, 1949" is almost similar, to that of the 1936 House of Commons debate (before it went to the Lords in 1936) and I now have the gist of the "Air Navigation Act, 1936" new clause in relation to the lighting of obstructions near aerodromes.

I should be able to get a photocopy of the 1936 Act.

Thanks
Mark