Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Books and Magazines (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is this the future of aviation book publishing? (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=7908)

Dénes Bernád 28th February 2007 21:10

Is this the future of aviation book publishing?

Recently, Hikoki Publ. (now owned by Crécy) published a book on Latin American Air Wars & Aircraft, by Dan Hagedorn. Hardback, c. 192 pages, c. 400/500 rare b/w and colour photos and beautiful colour artwork, but... no narrative text!

The text can apparently be downloaded, in PDF format, from the publisher's web site.

Is this the future of aviation (and not only) book publishing? :confused:

Ruy Horta 28th February 2007 21:13

Re: Is this the future of aviation book publishing?

Only the future if we buy it...

Jukka Juutinen 1st March 2007 03:48

I have already deciced to boycott this book for that very reason!

etraro 1st March 2007 13:14

It's a great renovation to reduce "unnecessary" cost. Anyone who has a high-end laser printer and high-end quality papers can product a superior book! If only he has.

Griffon 1st March 2007 16:30

on the other hand, the new WEKUSTA book is really great.
it features great informative text, some interesting profiles and a good selection of pictures.

does anyone own the I-400 book from Classic btw.?
if so, how do you rate it?

cheers
phil

Jukka Juutinen 1st March 2007 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by etraro (Post 38788)
It's a great renovation to reduce "unnecessary" cost. Anyone who has a high-end laser printer and high-end quality papers can product a superior book! If only he has.

Will the laser printed page be as durable as a page printed by a real printer? Does this really reduce cost as the cost is simply transferred to the reader directly? I have seen some books done etraro´s way and they were horrible.

Nick Beale 1st March 2007 23:01

A searchable pdf file would be good to have as an "extra" to a book (very useful for reference purposes) but not instead of the real thing, I think.

edwest 1st March 2007 23:51

I am not a big submarine fan but I was impressed by the I-400 (aircraft carrying submarine) book. The introduction by one of the Japanese pilots was very interesting. All I can say is that it was well done for the average reader who is relatively interested in submarines.

The future of publishing in general is simply about what people will buy. New technology is fine, but even if an inexpensive electronic book reader was developed, I would still have to pay for the basic unit, buy the individual books and would need a source of power or batteries. I would not want to drop it or get it wet. An inexpensive paperback needs no power source, can be dropped without breaking and is much easier on the eyes than a computer screen and, for now, more portable and convenient.

Ed

fsbofk 2nd March 2007 04:50

. . . and you can read it on the beach while holding it with sunscreen fingers, not worry about spilling your beer on it, and toss it in the trash if it's boring.

Felix C 4th July 2012 17:45

Hey, I am interested in this book. Is the PDF download still available for the text?