Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Using Ultra to research the Luftwaffe (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=14321)

SES 7th June 2012 15:56

Re: Using Ultra to research the Luftwaffe

Hi Larry,
Go through the shopping motions and after about four steps you get a download link.
bregds
SES

Larry deZeng 7th June 2012 16:10

Thank you, SES.

Only government employees would think up ways to make things so user-unfriendly by failing to provide instructions that people just give up and say "the hell with it." What do I know. Maybe that was the purpose.

L.

Larry deZeng 7th June 2012 16:19

Well, that was a complete flop, SES. I jumped through all the hoops and nothing downloaded. I waited a full 5 minutes - nada, zilch, zip, zero, nothing. Screw it. Fortunately, I thoroughly researched all of the DEFE Hut 3 ULTRA on microfilm between 1988 and 1992, so nothing lost, nothing gained.

L.

SES 7th June 2012 16:26

Hi Larry,
Maybe Jørn can provide some help.
bregds
SES

AndreasB 7th June 2012 19:05

Larry

When you click the download link, a new window should open in your browser. If you have pop-ups blocked, that may not work. You can not simultaneously download several files, and yes, it can take a long time for the download. These are large files, and the server is slow.

I never had any trouble, so I am wondering if maybe your browser is blocking pop-ups?

All the best

Andreas

Nick Beale 7th June 2012 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry deZeng (Post 149115)
Thank you, SES.

Only government employees would think up ways to make things so user-unfriendly by failing to provide instructions that people just give up and say "the hell with it." What do I know. Maybe that was the purpose.

L.

Try dealing with private sector sometime! I doubt they'd be giving anything away free (even to non-UK taxpayers!). I downloaded a file with no trouble, by the way.

Larry deZeng 7th June 2012 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreasB (Post 149124)
Larry
When you click the download link, a new window should open in your browser. If you have pop-ups blocked, that may not work. You can not simultaneously download several files, and yes, it can take a long time for the download. These are large files, and the server is slow.
I never had any trouble, so I am wondering if maybe your browser is blocking pop-ups?
All the best
Andreas

That's probably it, Andreas. I do have pop-up blocker applied at my ISP so it's a real hassle to turn it on and off. I just needed another quick look at DEFE 3 to check something, but it's not important enough to be worth the effort. But thanks for your helpful comments anyway. :)

L.

Larry deZeng 7th June 2012 19:34

Quote:

Try dealing with private sector sometime! I doubt they'd be giving anything away free (even to non-UK taxpayers!). I downloaded a file with no trouble, by the way.
Valid point, but I still think the lack of at least a few instructions is woefully negligent. Not everyone is under 35 and born with computer chips and manuals in their head and up their patootie!

L.

Nick Beale 7th June 2012 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry deZeng (Post 149128)
Not everyone is under 35"

Least of all me.

When I was researching at Freiburg I came to the conclusion that life would be perfect if Germany ran our public transport and Britain ran their archives. TNA have been refining and simplifying their services throughout the 25+ years I've been going there, so I doubt that the present downloading system will be their last word.

AndreasB 7th June 2012 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Beale (Post 149134)
Least of all me.

When I was researching at Freiburg I came to the conclusion that life would be perfect if Germany ran our public transport and Britain ran their archives. TNA have been refining and simplifying their services throughout the 25+ years I've been going there, so I doubt that the present downloading system will be their last word.

Couldn't agree more.

All the best

Andreas